Bette Davis 100th Birthday Celebration Box Set

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Close The Door, Raymond

#1 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Thu May 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Barrie Maxwell over at thedigitalbits.com has revealed that Fox is planning to release a box set in 2008 of Bette Davis films in celebration of what would have been her 100th birthday. He speculates such titles as Phone Call from a Stranger, The Star (which has already been released on DVD by Warner) and The Virgin Queen. Also mentioned as possibilities are special editions of already released titles such as All About Eve and Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte along with some made-for-television films.

She spent most of her career at Warners, so does anybody know what other Fox titles have yet to be released?

Are the CBS TV movies such as Strangers: Story of a Mother and Daughter, White Mama and Piano for Mrs. Cimino owned by Fox?

Fox released the Hammer film The Nanny on VHS, but do they own the DVD rights? There hasn't been a Region 1 DVD release. Fox also released the VHS of Hammer's The Anniversary, but it was released on DVD by Anchor Bay.

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Fri May 25, 2007 10:57 am

I got all excited by seeing this thread and then realized that it was in the Fox section, not the Warner section. Well, an R1 release of The Virgin Queen is long overdue. I don't know if Fox still own the rights to the ABC Movie of the Week Madame Sin (Bette Davis as an "Oriental" Dr. No rip-off in a lot of crazy costumes dripping with fur and jewels), that would be a hoot to see again.

Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

#3 Post by Lino » Sat May 26, 2007 10:20 am

Well, already got Eve and Charlotte and Nanny and Anniversary, so it would take a hell of a lot more to convince me to get this one. We'll see.

shearerchic

#4 Post by shearerchic » Sat May 26, 2007 11:36 am

I don't see how The Star would be released by Fox when Warners owns it and it was just released in 2005 anyways. The set would have to include Phone Call From A Stranger (which is really Shelley Winters' film), The Virgin Queen, and The Nanny.

I'm guessing that the Warners Davis set won't come out until next year to coincide with her centennial. I'm hoping that set includes:

-Dangerous
-The Old Maid
-All This, and Heaven, Too
-In This Our Life
-A Stolen Life
-Beyond the Forest

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Apparently, Alain Silver has done commentaries with James Ursini for both The Nanny and The Virgin Queen.

Already, this is looking more tempting to my eyes.

More info on this set, from here:
Celebrating the year that would have been Bette Davis' 100th Birthday, **20th Century Fox** has announced an April 8th (her birthday is April 5th) release date for The Bette Davis Century Celebration Collection. Details are still sketchy, but we know that the titles will be: All About Eve (1950), Phone Call from a Stranger (1952), The Virgin Queen (1955), Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and The Nanny (1965). The set will retail for $49.98
and here:
Fox will be releasing THE NANNY on April 8 as part of a Bette Davis promotion. Currently the only extras listed are: trailer, interactive pressbook gallery, poster gallery, lobby card gallery and still gallery; however, Alain Silver and James Ursini recorded a commentary for this a while back, so the disc should include that.

Also coming as part of the same promotion is a new edition of HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE with a new "making of" featurette, an interview with Bruce Dern, a vintage featurette and several galleries (posters, lobby cards, stills, etc.) Curiously, Glenn Erickson's commentary from the original release is not listed
Just went browsing over at DVDEmpire and found yet more info: besides being priced fairly low, the Centennial set will have 6 discs for only 5 movies, the reason being that All About Eve will now have 2 discs worth of material.

Very enticing set, I must say, even though as I mentioned above, I already have most of the movies in it. I'll wait for reviews, though.

ByMarkClark.com

#6 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:16 am

Will VIRGIN QUEEN and THE NANNY be available separately?

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Yes.

New covers for the individual titles are now up at Amazon:

Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte
Phone Call from a Stranger
The Virgin Queen
All About Eve
The Nanny

Those covers in detail here, as well as the full specs for each disc (very tasty, if I must say so) and here's something from the Legendary Joan Crawford website:
BREAKING NEWS: On April 8th the Bette Davis Centenary Celebration Collection will be released to honor her 100th birthday. What does this have to do with Joan? "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte" is being re-released in this box set with a special documentary called Hush...Hush, Sweet Joan: The Making of Charlotte!! We all wanted it and Fox is delivering the goods. The documentary will feature the majority of the footage that Joan filmed for the movie
Gorgeous!

Beaver comparison between the R1 and the R2 editions of The Virgin Queen. Guess which one wins hands down?

Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte old vs new.

Beaver reviews the whole set.

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:09 pm

And now, DVDTalk, awarding it the DVDTalk Collectors Series.

Antoine Doinel

#9 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:39 am

Now you can lick Bette.

hearthesilence

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:04 pm

That joke became an anachronism when the USPS made all postage self-adhesive.

Is All About Eve a new transfer on this set? I'm guessing it's not. Regardless, I'm not sure I'd splurge for this set. I like Bette Davis more and more with time, but for her performances, not her films as a whole.

Antoine Doinel

#11 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:57 am

Here's the stamp in all its censored glory.

Westwood

Re: Bette Davis 100th Birthday Celebration Box Set

#12 Post by Westwood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:31 pm

I own a few Cinema Classics dvds and I actually preordered them all when they were listed on amazon (mostly the Doris Day titles), and they all came with outer boxes (not exactly slipcases as only one end is open). Does anyone know if this is only for the first run and if I were to order these now they'd be plan amaray cases?
I did preorder the BD 100 set and it's slimline cases and I love those boxes the Cinema Classics have. I forgot now if the BD100 editions have the lobby cards inside! I do remember the All About Eve insert was punched thru because it was placed between the two discs in the slimline case, as any idiot would do.