It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm 

I watched the new Blue-ray version of South Pacific last night. I've never cared much for the movie or the theatrical version, but the blue ray is absolutely magnificent. Color and clarity to drop a jaw. Hard to believe a 50 year old movie could look this good. I guess the original Todd A-O process must have something to do with it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 pm 

It certainly does. It followed the literally "high fidelity" Vistavision process, also developed with Technicolor which had run its course pretty well by 1961, as a larger widescreen format. It also had the unusual benefit of being filmed at 30fps which of course eliminated flicker. A still unanswered question to me is whether Fox has created the BluRay transfer from 30fps elements, and if so, how has this been renedered for BluRay 24fps playback, if at all?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:52 pm 

The blu-ray of South Pacific is indeed technically magnificent: beautiful detail, and there are some big dragonflies flitting about in some scenes. The movie itself has always struck me as disagreeably strange, though: the war & comedy & romance & songs plus color filters... well...

I must admit that as I have aged the music in all of these Fox R & H musicals has become more tolerable to my ear. But all of the movies (bar The Sound of Music) seem far too "stagey & static" (and the depictions of people just a mite too sexist (Carousel) or racist (The King & I) ) for me. Tastes have changed a little too much since the fifties and early sixties, I guess. That said, the 1945 Jeanne Crain version of State Fair was an agreeable surprise to me. Good Americana, great songs, and much much better than the 1962 version. Sadly, in the context of the set, it's an outlier and hence atypical in style.

Speaking of atypical, I think that Lang's Lilliom is perhaps the best movie in the set!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:16 am 

davidhare wrote:
It also had the unusual benefit of being filmed at 30fps which of course eliminated flicker. A still unanswered question to me is whether Fox has created the BluRay transfer from 30fps elements, and if so, how has this been renedered for BluRay 24fps playback, if at all?

A bit late, but for clarification, South Pacific was shot at 24fps, the first Todd-AO production to use that format exclusively. Only Oklahoma! and 80 Days had 30fps versions.

To answer the hypothetical question, a 30fps film on Blu-ray would most likely be encoded in 60i instead of 24p. HD DVD supported 30p, but Blu-ray doesn't -- this came up back in '06 when a Nine Inch Nails concert video was released in its original 30p on HD DVD and in 60i on Blu. But some players and monitors can go from 60i to 30p via 2:2 pulldown, so it's not all bad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:46 pm 

The music publishing rights for Rodgers and Hammerstein have been purchased by Imagem Music Group.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:38 am 

Having just bought (only 24USD wotdahell) and viewed this I join the others above in gobsmackedness. The quality is - simply - the best non-film rendition of film in any format I've ever seen. once you've gotten over Logan's total mis-direction of the film (and it's a big ask I know) just look at this as THE Blu demo disc of the year. There have been some real doozeys this year - How the West was Won (from 4k I understand), PInoke, American in paris but this one takes the cake. (And the DTS-HD Master audio track aint bad either!)

And of course for fans of such things, the "Nothing Like a Dame" scene is one of the greatest pieces of Tom o Finland/AMG beefcake in cinema history - casting for the topless male chorus looks like it was done by Raging Stallion Video, minus the waxing and bikini lines etc. Stewpot is still the image that turned me gay all those decades ago. (For this alone he mutters.) And yes you can see the dargonflies in some of these shots, just as you can see Logan's non-blocking cut static figures in half at the edges of the frame. (As mise en scene the picture belongs with Ted Mikels and Blood Orgy of the She Devils for total ineptitude.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:26 am 

I've only just noticed this topic, mainly because while I did not mind Carousel (even if "You'll Never Walk Alone" has lost all meaning for me by being the unofficial anthem of a local football team and therefore badly/drunkly sung by rowdy supporters in the background of local news reports whenever the team is playing!) and have a guilty love of The Sound of Music if just for the novelty value of perky Swiss ex-nuns battling Nazis in a song contest, I detest Oklahoma! with a passion! Though that might be because I always identified more with Steiger's mentally challenged hulk Jud Fry than the insipid, shallow, callous in their own way (the only difference being the way the cardboard couple have the full support of the townspeople, while Fry is the outsider), lead couple. It is second only in my most hated musicals list to Fiddler On The Roof and its happy ending for our conservative family as they escape to America while the rebellious daughter marries outside her faith and stays behind to live in persecution and maybe have a worse fate - a fate which the film seems to fully condone.

However I have to admit to finding South Pacific intriguing from the way DH describes it! Nothing like male beefcake and inept framing to arose interest for unintended(?) reasons! Though I seem to remember having tried to watch it twice before and falling asleep ten minutes in on both occasions!

Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 am 

Quote:
Stewpot is still the image that turned me gay all those decades ago.

I've tried several times to wade through the mis-begotten mess of SOUTH PACIFIC. When I need a Stewpoy fix I pop in ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:01 pm 

Hubba HUBBA!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 pm 

david hare wrote:
And of course for fans of such things, the "Nothing Like a Dame" scene is one of the greatest pieces of Tom o Finland/AMG beefcake in cinema history - casting for the topless male chorus looks like it was done by Raging Stallion Video, minus the waxing and bikini lines etc.

At the risk of pedantry, it's Ranging Stallion Studios.

But yes, I'm totally there. The transfer caught my attention and your description of that musical number closed the sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:40 am 

You may want to strangle me in the morning!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 am 

After finally watching "The Sound Of Music" all the way through on my own (only saw clips, pieces, or partial tv broadcasts, but never fully), decided to wade through the extras, disc 2 of the blu-ray must be more than 7 hours of material. But the question is about the first disc:

Can anyone access the commentaries while watching the picture in picture? Can't get them to play at the same time. Maybe that's just how it is...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 am 
Dot Com Dom

Blu-ray version of the box coming in the UK, sure to be in the US soon as well

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 am 

I was thinking just recently about if I should get the "South Pacific" disc or not. Guess I should wait.

I wonder if this means an upgrade for Fritz Lang's "Liliom" to Bluray as well... Or just in Standard Def...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 am 

Can anyone confirm whether the DVD (not Blu) R&H box set contains both the CinemaScope and Todd-AO versions of Oklahoma? Relatedly, does anyone know whether either or both of those versions are time-compressed? I seem to recall that the version I saw had been sped up. Basically, I'm asking if there is a decent (i.e., non-time-compressed, CinemaScope) version of the film in the box. I have the set, but it's not with me, so I can't check myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm 

ianthemovie wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether the DVD (not Blu) R&H box set contains both the CinemaScope and Todd-AO versions of Oklahoma? Relatedly, does anyone know whether either or both of those versions are time-compressed? I seem to recall that the version I saw had been sped up. Basically, I'm asking if there is a decent (i.e., non-time-compressed, CinemaScope) version of the film in the box. I have the set, but it's not with me, so I can't check myself.

Not definitive proof, but Amazon reviews confirm that the box set version does include both the CinemaScope and Todd-AO versions of OKLAHOMA. Also, the stand-lone DVD, which also has both versions, shows a 145 minute running time which matches the official length on IMDb. Honestly, I can't imagine why a home video release would be time compressed; the egregious process is only done on broadcast television showings to make a film conform to a specified time slot while retaining all the necessary commercial breaks.

Last edited by Roger Ryan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:31 pm 
Dot Com Dom

ianthemovie wrote:

I have the US DVD box and it does contain both versions, on separate discs within a slimpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm 

Here is what DVD Savant said about the 30fps Todd-AO transfer on the US 40th Anniversary Edition of Oklahoma, which is presumably the same as that the US DVD box set collection that you mention.

Quote:
Disc one comes with the standard CinemaScope show we've seen mostly on television for forty years or so, and Disc two has another transfer of the Todd-AO version that came back in the early 90s. Savant went directly for the Todd-AO cut and was mildly disappointed - it's enhanced and should be an improvement on the earlier disc, but the transfer element is unaccountably soft and mushy, seriously so. This cancels out most of the benefit of the higher frame rate. I guess we'll have to wait for HD to straighten this one out. To simply watch the show, the CinemaScope version is the best choice.

From what I heard--and what DVD Savant seems to be saying--the problem was that for the Todd-AO version they just reused the older laserdisc transfer. That might account for the image's lack of resolution.

ianthemovie, It's hard to explain any time compression, unless you were viewing the 24fps CinemaScope version on a Region 2 PAL DVD, in which case they might have transferred it at 25fps.

If they were to release the 30fps Todd-AO version on Blu-ray, then I guess they would have to release it as 1080/29.97i since 1080/24p obviously wouldn't work. Still, it would be nice to see a new transfer of the Todd-AO version since it has better performances. I wonder if the elements for the Todd-AO version are in good condition?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 pm 

Great; thanks, all. Next time I have access to the disc I'll have to check it out again. I could swear that it had that weird, disorienting sped-up look for some reason but it's nice to know that no one else can confirm this, or why it would be compressed for DVD (unless it was in order to fit both versions of the film on one disc? I don't know). I certainly was not watching it in R2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:59 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Individual Blu-rays for the King and I and Oklahoma (both versions) coming October 7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:16 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
Individual Blu-rays for the King and I and Oklahoma (both versions) coming October 7

OKLAHOMA should be worth getting. Apparently Fox has performed a much-needed, major restoration of the Todd AO version of OKLAHOMA. It screened at Il Cinema Ritrovato in Bologna and Schawn Belston lectured on it, though I was unable to attend either of them due to the overabundance of programming at the festival.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:21 pm 

The Todd-AO version looks amazing, certainly one of the most impressive catalog films I own, and is far superior to the CinemaScope version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:44 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Oklahoma is in fact the only title I am even remotely interested in upgrading from the DVD set I already own