Criterion and Sony

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Lowry_Sam

Re: Criterion and Sony

#426 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 pm

captveg wrote:A bluray.com user has stated that Twilight Time answered his inquiry about them licensing Tootsie (which is getting released overseas by Sony) by saying they hadn't been offered it. This likely means that Sony considers it prestigious enough to release it themselves in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them give it to Criterion, either.
I can't imagine Sony handing this off to someone else & Criterion doesn't usually release Hollywood blockbusters unless the director is paying for street cred.

Moe Dickstein

#427 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
captveg wrote:A bluray.com user has stated that Twilight Time answered his inquiry about them licensing Tootsie (which is getting released overseas by Sony) by saying they hadn't been offered it. This likely means that Sony considers it prestigious enough to release it themselves in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them give it to Criterion, either.
I can't imagine Sony handing this off to someone else & Criterion doesn't usually release Hollywood blockbusters unless the director is paying for street cred.
Except that Criterion already released it on Laserdisc. I'd like to see more Hollywood popular type films in the collection to ensure balance between that and more niche titles. Also if they gave up As Good As It Gets, I'd not be surprised to see Tootsie. The commentary CC owns on it is stellar.

Lowry_Sam

#428 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 pm

I think Criterion was more likely to get blockbusters because laserdisc was such a niche market. Now that streaming & blu-ray is commonplace, I think it's less likely, unless they do some type of special edition (i.e. different cuts of a film) that your average home video consumer won't likely splurge for, not sure if a commentary alone cuts it. I'd also think that The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy or Straw Dogs would be more likely candidates (with picture quality complaints on at least 2 of those current blu-ray titles) or Lenny (unreleased on blu) than Tootsie or Kramer vs. Kramer or Rain Man (the other Hoffman titles I've heard speculation/wishful musings).

Moe Dickstein

#429 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun May 26, 2013 10:50 pm

If Tootsie isn't going to TT either Criterion is getting it or Sony is doing it themselves. It's announced overseas, so Id guess we know soon. CC and Sony have a big package of titles licensed and I would not be in the slightest surprised to see Tootsie as one of them.

MongooseCmr

#430 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Tootsie really doesn't seem like the kind of film current day Criterion would release, though maybe its because the hype for that film completely escapes me.
I would definitely welcome a Midnight Cowboy redo, though. The current Blu felt like I was watching a stream buffer from scene to scene.

hearthesilence

#431 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 27, 2013 1:22 am

That Dave Grusin score alone is f-ing horrid.

Moe Dickstein

#432 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 am

I guess if you didn't like the movie you wouldn't want to see it in the collection. It's a favorite of mine and its a really fantastic example of how to structure a character based comedy film. The Pollack commentary is top notch and there were many other features on that LD. Adding in the deleted scenes and other bonus material from the DVD would make a great package.

I hope with the new availability of "bigger" films that Criterion will take advantage. I miss the types of films they were able to get in the LD days when I started collecting them.

And Dave Grusin has done way more ear-splitting work than Tootsie, that's one of his that isn't too bad, but sticking with Grusin for everything was definitely Pollack's blind spot.

Feego

#433 Post by Feego » Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 am

Perhaps Criterion could arrange (or has arranged) a deal with Sony similar to what they did with Taxi Driver, giving Sony the laserdisc supplements for Tootsie in exchange more films.

I have to agree that I don't see Criterion releasing Tootsie today, not that I wouldn't welcome it as I love the film (hideous score aside).

bainbridgezu

#434 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm

According to a customer email, Sony will be handling the U.S. release of From Here to Eternity themselves; the U.K. edition has already been announced for October.

hearthesilence

#435 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 28, 2013 12:13 pm

It's gotten plenty of flack in recent years - different interpretations of what the film has to say about gender and especially the dated homophobia have been the biggest targets - but I should've been clearer, I don't really hate the film. I'm not his biggest fan, but I think it's Pollack's best movie, and it's probably Hoffman's most enjoyable performance. It's also great to hear how much the role came to mean to him - he was reluctant to do the film for so long, but apparently his relationship to the material dramatically changed as he delved deeper into it. (He talks about it at length in the current DVDs supplements, but in at least one of the AFI's otherwise worthless "100 Greatest" specials, they interviewed him about this picture and he broke down talking about how it made him aware of his own views on women.)

I'm sure Grusin's done worse, but I cringe every time I hear the score. Even the placement of music can seem terrible - never mind that dated "piano" sound and the smooth sax, when Michael runs out on his friend's audition to see his manager, the music cues feel completely wrong.

captveg

#436 Post by captveg » Tue May 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:I think Criterion was more likely to get blockbusters because laserdisc was such a niche market. Now that streaming & blu-ray is commonplace, I think it's less likely, unless they do some type of special edition (i.e. different cuts of a film) that your average home video consumer won't likely splurge for, not sure if a commentary alone cuts it. I'd also think that The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy or Straw Dogs would be more likely candidates (with picture quality complaints on at least 2 of those current blu-ray titles) or Lenny (unreleased on blu) than Tootsie or Kramer vs. Kramer or Rain Man (the other Hoffman titles I've heard speculation/wishful musings).
Midnight Cowboy, The Graduate and Straw Dogs are with MGM though, not Sony.

knives

#437 Post by knives » Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Lenny too.

Moe Dickstein

#438 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue May 28, 2013 4:48 pm

hearthesilence wrote:I'm sure Grusin's done worse, but I cringe every time I hear the score. Even the placement of music can seem terrible - never mind that dated "piano" sound and the smooth sax, when Michael runs out on his friend's audition to see his manager, the music cues feel completely wrong.
I am trying to figure out why I feel the way I do about the score. It's actually maybe the only time I feel like Grusin DIDN'T ruin a movie (Condor works fine too though). Maybe it's just having grown up with the film and the fact that I very much love the late 70s-early 80s sound in music, but I've always thought the music worked well in this film. I've had the main theme in my head the last two days due to this conversation and haven't minded. The Stephen Bishop songs are pretty good too.

All around I just think this is a great film, one of my favorite comedies and a model of construction next to the other great comedy of the era, 9 to 5. I would MUCH rather see a "C" on this than get it through Sony, it's a film truly worthy of the collection, and I think if you look at the last few years they have been going with bigger studio films when they can get them (Waterfront, Anatomy, etc.).

onedimension

#439 Post by onedimension » Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Apologies if these have come up, but I'm a little fuzzy on the particulars of Sony's current approach- any chance Criterion will finally get 'A Matter of Life and Death', or put any of the Boetticher films on blu?

Jeff

#440 Post by Jeff » Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 pm

onedimension wrote:Apologies if these have come up, but I'm a little fuzzy on the particulars of Sony's current approach- any chance Criterion will finally get 'A Matter of Life and Death', or put any of the Boetticher films on blu?
I believe Sony's current approach could be best described as "create beautiful new HD masters for everything but farm it out for release to anyone willing to distribute it." I would say the only things that aren't Criterion possibilities are the tiny handful of evergreen titles that Sony is keeping for themselves (maybe a couple dozen?) and what they've licensed to Twilight Time, Shout, Mill Creek, whomever. I'd say just about everything else is fair game, including the titles you mentioned.

Jeff

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#441 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 am

La vérité, Sundays and Cybele, and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion are all licensed from Sony from new Grover Crisp restorations (that guy is gunnin' for sainthood the last few years). One title they didn't mention is Visconti's Sandra, the new extra Crispy print of which is debuting at Venice. Surely they've got it too?

dwk

#442 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 pm

I mentioned this in the OOP thread, but Mill Creek just announced that they've licensed another 665 films from Sony. It is most likely a bunch of junk titles, but I'd guess there are quite a few that would have been better served by Criterion.

Minkin

#443 Post by Minkin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

dwk wrote:I mentioned this in the OOP thread, but Mill Creek just announced that they've licensed another 665 films from Sony. It is most likely a bunch of junk titles, but I'd guess there are quite a few that would have been better served by Criterion.
How the hell did Mill Creek/Echo Bridge go from PD bandits to respectable companies getting all kinds of big studio contracts (I bet Alpha feels out of the loop)? Most will probably just be reprints of whats already been released, but I doubt anything will be improved upon (especially all of that television - which I hope is just DVD licenses, since I've been waiting for some of those titles to get Blu upgrades). What a crazy world.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#444 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 pm

There's at least a chance some DVD-only titles will get cheap double-feature Blu-rays at least. They're not great but they're better than Echo Bridge at least!

captveg

#445 Post by captveg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Yeah, I'd say we may get 5% of those feature films on double feature Blu-rays, totally dependent on the quality of the masters available at Sony.

dwk

#446 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't know how Mill Creek can afford to license nearly 1000 titles from Sony(these recent 665 plus the previous 250), but they can. The good thing is, unlike Echo Bridge, when Mill Creek is given good materials, they can deliver a decent Blu-ray.

ShellOilJunior

#447 Post by ShellOilJunior » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Looks like Sony will be handling Before Midnight. I guess it lowers the chances Criterion will release all 3 'Before' films in a set. Sony could still license it out (a la Easy Rider) but I don't think it's likely.

zedz

#448 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I agree it's unlikely, but it could still work if Sony gets six months to a year exclusivity with their basic, low-cost release before Criterion follows up with a bells-and-whistles, expensive box set. $15 for a regular BluRay of the film vs. $80 for the elaborate box set that also contains it would still provide Sony with the majority of the casual sales, I'd imagine.

Moe Dickstein

#449 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Thats how the Qatsi box got done, two separate studios involved.

Jeff

#450 Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Sony's asking near-Criterion prices for what is presumably a bare-bones disc, but I'm sure it will come down over time. Warner and Sony have collaborated on boxed sets before, so it's certainly not out of the question -- with or without the participation of Criterion.