Re: 2008 Criterion Forum Awards

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
life_boy

#126 Post by life_boy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Release of the Year
1. The Furies
This release easily takes the cake. Full, thorough, including the source material. A great set to join a great film. There is enough here for me to peel back and explore for years to come. Now where's T-Men?
2. Eclipse 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
3. Eclipse 11: Silent Ozu - Three Family Comedies
4. This Sporting Life
Again, full and thorough with a great transfer. I certainly can't argue with any release that takes the opportunity to fill in three additional gaps in an auteur's filmography.
5. Trafic
I'm always up for more Tati.

Best Eclipse Release
Eclipse 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
It's almost arbitrary for me to rate this above the Ozu set but I'll do it because there's more Ozu in the collection at this time than Mizoguchi. But like zedz said, "who would want to be without either set?" A stellar year for Eclipse and the release announcement I was most looking forward to every two months. 7 sets, 24 films, the label found the balance between releasing the towering "back catalogue" of cinema's masters and wonderful obscurities possibly forgotten except by the fortunate few who were around at the time or in the know, bringing to my eyes more films I was truly excited about seeing than the mainline did all told this year. (I'm already highly anticipating the Shimizu set in March of '09.)

Best Reissue
High and Low

Best Commentary
n/a (didn’t listen to any)

Best Single Supplement (not a commentary)
Is That All There Is? (from This Sporting Life)

Best Cover
Vampyr

Best Package Design
The Furies

Best (Re)Discovery
Eclipse 11: Larisa Shepitko

Most Disappointing Release
The Model Couple

Forum Member of the Year
zedz
No one else has had more of impact on the films I seek out while simultaneously deepening my enjoyment of them than you, zedz. Pialat and Oshima were sought out on your recommendations in the 60's list (and beyond) and I look forward to diving into Ruiz, Wiszniewski, Skolimowski, Rocha and Yoshida in the future. All I can say is thanks.

Richard Cranium Award
Feng

Best Non-Criterion Release
1. Polish Experimental Animation (PWA)
2. L'Argent (MoC)
3. L'enfance-nue (MoC)
4. The Round-Up (Second Run)
5. Ford at Fox (Fox)

HerrSchreck

#127 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 pm

When is the crowning ceremony furchrissakes. I want these crown jewels outa here, and I want desperately to razz and haze zedz... my zingers are spoiling in the heat of my enthusiasm.

GringoTex

#128 Post by GringoTex » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Reminder: VOTING CLOSES JAN. 12 AT 10 PM EST.

psufootball07

#129 Post by psufootball07 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Release of the Year:
1) Pierrot le Fou
2) Mishima
3) The Fire Within
4) Brand Upon the Brain
5) 4 by Agnes Varda

Best Eclipse Release:
Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Best Reissue:
High and Low

Best Commentary:
Alex Cox - Walker

Best Single Supplement:
Jusqu’au 23 Juillet - The Fire Within

Best Cover:
Vampyr

Best Package Design:
Mishima

Best (Re)Discovery:
Brand Upon the Brain

Most Disappointing Release:
Fanfan la Tulipe

Forum Member of the Year:
Domino

Best Non-Criterion Release:
L'Argent
Godfather Restoration
Touch of Evil
The General
Vampyr (MOC)

aox

#130 Post by aox » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:53 pm

I actually had to edit my choices on the 4th page. Hope that doesn't cause a problem.

Soothsayer

#131 Post by Soothsayer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Release of the Year: 4 by Agnès Varda, Antonio Gaudí, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Vampyr, The Delirious Fictions of William Klein

Best Eclipse Release: The Delirious Fictions of William Klein

Best Reissue: Cleo from 5 to 7

Best Commentary (inlcudes selected scene commentaries and visual essays): Tony Rayns on Vampyr

Best Single Supplement (not a commentary): The retracing of all locations used in Cleo from 5 to 7 done by the guy on the motorcycle(so many good supplements from that Varda box...).

Best Cover: Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Best Package Design (including DVD menus): Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Best (Re)Discovery (for a film you knew little or nothing about before the Criterion release): La Bonheur

Most Disappointing Release (for releases that Criterion dropped the ball on: bad transfer, poor supplements, etc.): for me, N/A

Forum Member of the Year: N/A, there's way too much great info from too many people here.

Richard Cranium Award: Feng

I've been quite cash-strapped this year, which would explain my limited range in choices. Still enjoyed what I picked up quite a bit though.

Here's hoping to more Bresson in 2009!!

Matt

#132 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Release of the Year (5 choices) (Eclipse titles eligible)
4 by Agnès Varda
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (movie is so-so, extras are fantastic)
This Sporting Life (magnificent transfer)
The Small Back Room (the kind of thing Criterion does best)
Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies

Best Eclipse Release
Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies

Best Reissue
High and Low

Best Commentary (inlcudes selected scene commentaries and visual essays)
Charles Barr - The Small Back Room

Multiple voice-over narration tracks - Brand Upon the Brain!

Best Cover
The Lovers/ The Fire Within

Best Package Design
Dunno. People seem to like Mishima, so why not.

Best (Re)Discovery
The Small Back Room

All of the Ophuls releases, but specifically The Earrings of Madame de...: Passable transfer; eye-rollingly bad commentary (50/50 combination of noting the obvious and hackneyed "feminist" film theory); a lamentably bad "introduction" (easily the worst supplement in the history of the Criterion Collection and the worst thing Paul Thomas Anderson has ever committed his name to); thoughtless, inconsistent packaging (across all three releases); and a $120 MSRP price tag for the trio add up to a major blot on the good name of Criterion.

Forum Member of the Year
kevyip1, for his major contribution to the lexicon of DVD collecting

Richard Cranium Award
hddvdreviews (a.k.a. Yunda Eddie Feng), what a fucking drag

headacheboy

#133 Post by headacheboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Release of the Year (5 choices)

1. Vampyr
2. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
3. An Autumn Afternoon
4. Miss Julie
5. Series 10: Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies

Best Eclipse Release
Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Best Reissue
High and Low

N/A I only listened to snippets various titles here and there.

Since Patriotism wasn't actually a supplement for Mishima, the idea of using books as a supplement never gets old: Vampyr, The Furies (even the novella for The Earrings od Madame de...)

Best Cover
Miss Julie (followed closely by the Max Ophuls covers).

Best Package Design (including DVD menus)
Mishima

Best (Re)Discovery (for a film you knew little or nothing about before the Criterion release)
Death of a Cyclist (I rented this from Netflix and then ordered it immediately after watching it and when my copy arrived in the post, I watched it again.)

Most Disappointing Release (for releases that Criterion dropped the ball on: bad transfer, poor supplements, etc.)
I'm not disappointed by transfers (that happens when you've seen as many VHS transfers from VHS transfers as I have). But let me say for the asking price of La Ronde and Le Plaisir, the idea behind the slipcovers was disappointing. And while I'm at it what the hell was Paul Thomas Anderson thinking?

Forum Member of the Year
I always get a kick out of Domino's on-going commentary.

Richard Cranium Award
Eh, what do I know? Although the complaining dude who only just joined was a bit much at times.

Best Non-Criterion Release (5 Choices)
Georges Melies: First Wizard of Cinema (1896-1913) (Flicker Alley)
La Roue (Flicker Alley)

JAP

#134 Post by JAP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Release of the Year
1 - 4 by Agnès Varda
1 - Lubitsch Musicals
3 - An Autumn Afternoon
4 - Trafic
5 - Mishima

Best Eclipse Release - Lubitsch Musicals

Best Reissue – Cléo from 5 to 7

Best Commentary – Casper Tybjerg essay on Vampyr and Charles Barr on The Small Back Room

Best Single Supplement - “Godard, l'amour, la poésie” on Pierrot le Fou (it really, really made me crave a viewing of Vivre sa Vie)

Best Cover – The Ice Storm

Best Package Design - 4 by Agnès Varda

Best (Re)Discovery – The Ice Storm (my thoughts in 1998 after getting to see the theatrical trailer more than once: “What a bland piece of 70s nostalgia this must be. I'll pass.”. 10 years later Criterion's enthusiastic endorsement of the movie made me give it a chance – glad I did!)

Most Disappointing Release – Not a first-hand testimony, but the mixed reception to the 3 Ophuls releases made me hold back purchase for the time being

Note: Unfortunately, of the titles released in 2008 that I bought (14 Criterions & 1 Eclipse), evaluation of Le Doulos and The Spy Who Came In... is still pending due to the CriterionDVD.com scandal...

Forum Member of the Year – I will not single anyone out, but as a long time lurker (4 years?...) let me take the opportunity for a heartfelt “THANK YOU!” to all the knowledgeable, passionate and witty posters around.

Richard Cranium Award - “Aquila non capit muscas

- Land of Promise – British Documentary Films 1930-1950, Various (R2 - BFI) [many engaging views on life in a (not so) Dim Little Island]
- The Big Trail, Raoul Walsh (R1 - Fox) [hands down, the best anamorphic transfer of a pre-1931 movie :wink: ]
- Addressing the Nation – GPO Films Vol. 1, Various (R2 - BFI) [the Post as haven for filmic experiment]
- Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 6, Various (R1 - Warner) [you gotta see Russian Rhapsody to believe it!]
- Berlin, die Sinfonie der Grosstadt, Walther Ruttmann (R0 – Filmmuseum) [just got this a couple of days ago and although I haven't watched it all, general presentation and quality are amazing – image quality on Sinfonie and the Melodie comparison supplement deserve special mention. Thanks Tommaso, for the detailed description and impressions on this set]
Let me bend the rules (6th title and 2007 release) for:
- Diva, Jean-Jacques Beineix (R2 – M6/Warner France) [a personal favourite unseen for 17 years and first we had the Criterion release rumour then the actual release by Lionsgate that was no more than so-so; finally, while browsing Amazon.fr I discovered the existence of this 2-disc SE. Bottom line: it would be nice to have (more) French members on this Forum!]
Last edited by JAP on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#135 Post by Tribe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm

Release of the Year:
Pierrot le fou
4 by Agnès Varda
Vampyr
This Sporting Life
The Furies

Best Eclipse Release:
Lubitsch Musicals

Best Reissue:
Salo

Best Commentary:
Gorin on Pierrot le Fou

Best Single Supplement:
Tag Gallagher video essay on Madame de...

Best Cover:
Vampyr

Best Package Design:
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Best (Re)Discovery:
Blast of Silence

fiddlesticks

#136 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Release of the Year
Classe tous risques
The Small Back Room
4 by Agnès Varda
Chungking Express
(Blu-Ray)
Le deuxième souffle

Best Eclipse Release
Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
although I loved Silent Ozu, Larisa Shepitko, and Lubitsch Musicals

Best Reissue
Cléo de 5 à 7

Best Commentary
Ginette Vincendeau and Geoff Andrew, Le deuxième souffle

Best Single Supplement
Practically any of the copious extras in the 4 by Agnès Varda box; I'll vote for the three Varda short films (L'opéra Mouffe, Du côté de la côté, and Les fiancés du pont Macdonald) as symbolic of my support for inclusion of short films over such extras as archival interviews and trailers.

Best Cover
no opinion

Best Package Design
no opinion

Best (Re)Discovery
Larisa Shepitko

The Last Emperor

Forum Member of the Year
MichaelB

Richard Cranium Award
not for me to say

Best Non-Criterion Releases
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Blu-Ray, Warner Bros.)...marvelous edition of a marvelous film, with hours of relevant and interesting extras
The Masters of Cinema Mizoguchi series; if pressed to choose one of the four, it would be #54/#55 Gion Bayashi + Sansho Dayu...a great achievement
Les Vampires (Artificial Eye)
Rat-Trap (Second Run)
The Films of Budd Boetticher
(Runners-up: 10 Years of Rialto Pictures, Up the Yangtze [Zeitgeist], Valerie and Her Week of Wonders [Second Run])

geoffcowgill

#137 Post by geoffcowgill » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:29 am

Release of the Year (5 choices) (Eclipse titles eligible)
1- Bottle Rocket - This was a delightful package, with a great new making-of and the unexpectedly involving "Murita Cycles" as particularly noteworthy extras. I don't think this film could have had a better, more loving treatment. And Blu to boot.
2- An Autumn Afternoon - An excellent commentary added to a great print/transfer makes up for rather skimpy extras (the French TV program being a negligible and quaintly silly inclusion), and it's a $30 release.
3- The Furies - A lavish treatment of a largely unknown but largely deserving film, representing Criterion at its finest.
4- Vampyr - The supplements make the film seem more interesting than it perhaps truly is, but this package reads like an exhaustive, definitive statement on the movie, an in-depth seminar on disc and paper.
5- Missing - The interviews and talking-heads extras are superb additions to the film, heightening its impact greatly. And what a wonderful booklet it has as well.

runners up- This Sporting Life , Pierrot le Fou and The Small Back Room

Best Eclipse Release
Postwar Kurasawa - I chose this over the two runners up rather arbitrarily because it had one more film than they did, but it's really a remarkable bargain collection with three pretty major films and two other at least interesting ones

runners up- Lubitsch Musicals (one of the most fun releases of the year) and Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women (the most consistent and technically impressive Eclipse collection, if ultimately a little cold)

Bruce Eder on The Thief of Bagdad - This is a wonderful composite of what the best commentaries achieve, combining analysis, history, and an energetic and personal perspective of an intelligent, articulate fan of the film.

runners up- Almost as good and similar to the Eder commentary are David Bordwell's on An Autumn Afternoon and Tony Rayns' on both Vampyr and Chungking Express.

Niven Busch's novel, The Furies - Judging from comments made by Mulvaney concerning cutting down on print extras, this may be the last such extra of its kind, and it was a very enjoyable read as well as a generous addition to an already pretty full package.

runners up- Is That All There Is? from This Sporting Life and Casper Tybjorg's visual essay on Vampyr

Best Cover
The Furies

runners up- Blast of Silence and The Fire Within

The Furies - Beautiful simplicity and unity in all aspects of the release, a gem.

runners up- Bottle Rocket (the menu illustrations and the booklet are great) and Vampyr

Best (Re)Discovery (for a film you knew little or nothing about before the Criterion release)
La Ronde and The Earrings of Madame De... - This is an embarrassing admission of ignorance perhaps, but the only Ophuls I'd previously seen were Letter From an Unknown Woman and Lola Montes many many years ago, and they left little impression at the time. Despite the numerous complaints associated with these releases, I was suitably amazed and delighted by these films and now realize I need to get Le Plaisir sometime soon as well.

Most Disappointing Release (for releases that Criterion dropped the ball on: bad transfer, poor supplements, etc.)
There were very few films released this year that I was especially looking forward to based on having seen them in the past, so there wasn't much opportunity for me to be disappointed in the treatment of a beloved film. A few of the movies I got were not as good as I might have hoped, but I can't say I was disappointed in the quality of the releases. I guess I could say that some of the Eclipse titles could do with some extras and a main-line release or that Chungking Express could have benefitted from more extensive supplements, but I would feel churlish to do so.

This was the first year for me to conscientiously approach the collection as a collector, keeping rabid tabs on news of new releases and specifically budgeting Criterion titles into my shopping. Though in many ways this year's releases have been relatively lackluster, there remains an almost overwhelming wealth of edification in what Criterion has put out in 2008.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#138 Post by lacritfan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:51 am

Release of the Year
Pierrot le fou
Postwar Kurosawa
Best Eclipse Release
Postwar Kurosawa
Best Reissue
High and Low
Best Commentary
High and Low
Best Single Supplement
Strange Case of Yukio Mishima
Best Cover
Vampyr
Best Package Design
Forum Member of the Year
domino harvey
Richard Cranium Award
kevyip
The Ballad of Narayama
Three Stooges Collection Vols. 1-4

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#140 Post by alacal2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Release of the Year

Vampyr
Pierrot Le Fou
The Furies
4 by Agnes Varda
Brand Upon The Brain

Best Eclipse Release

Larisa Shepitko

Best Reissue

Cleo from 5 to 7

Best Commentary - didnt really listen to enough to judge

Best Single Supplement - ditto

Best cover

The Furies

Best Package Design

Mishima

Best Discovery

Larisa Shepitko - a real revelation which just beat Death of A Cyclist. Brought back fond memories of my visits to The Academy on Oxford Street om my way home through London from Bangor University even though I'd seen neither.

Nothing disappointed me this year so I offer a Most Disappointing Non-Release alternative - a Gremillon Eclipse set. I know I'm at the back of a very long queue here but I only mention because Gremillon was cited by Criterion at the time of the Eclipse launch. Both Remorques and Lumiere d'ete will be showing in February at the BFI Carne/Prevert season in February by the way.

Forum Member of the year

MichaelB. In particular for his sustained defence of My Winnipeg against the Maddinophobes 'cul-de-sac' criticism* ( I hate Maddin therefore I am) but in general for his passion of Eastern European Cinema and PWA. He even got an old technophobe like me to struggle through the Merlin website and mraculously order some Polish documentaries.

Richard Cranium Award

Barmy - see above*

Best Non Criterion Release

Well, unfortunately my Murnau, Borzage & Fox set only arrived yesterday so I've only been able to stroke it rather than view (are you there kevyip1?!)

The Long Day Closes - no-one manages better to combine the personal and the universal than Terence Daviences or combine sound, image and word so magically. Criminally ignored by the film industry (apart from the BFI)

Land of Promise (BFI) - something you'd expect the BFI to do well but this exceeded all expectations.

L'Enfance Nue (MoC)

La Femme Publique

L'Argent (MoC)

I too would just like to echo other posters and thank other Forum members for their amazing knowledge and love of film, It's been a real cinematic joyride although I could really do with an idiotic idiot's guide to aspect ratio, digibetas, telecine etc which I still can't get my head around.
Finally, another category - CC New Direction Award. I'd dearly love the Eclipse Series to move away from its director-centric approach and maybe do some other themes. My viewing of Death of a Cyclist prompted a feeling for a New Spanish Cinema set.

thethirdman

#141 Post by thethirdman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Release of the Year
1. Vampyr
2. Pierrot le fou
3. This Sporting Life
4. Bottle Rocket: BD
5. Le deuxième souffle

Best Eclipse Release
Kenji Mizoguchi’s Fallen Women

Best Reissue
Salò, or 120 Days of Sodom

Best Commentary
Ginette Vincendeau and Geoff Andrew on Le deuxième souffle

Is That All There Is? from This Sporting Life

Best Cover
Vampyr

Pierrot le fou

Best (Re)Discovery
The Furies

The Last Emperor

Best Non-Criterion Release (5 Choices)
1. Touch of Evil
2. Alfred Hitchcock Premier Collection
3. Zodiac: Director’s Cut
4. Judex and Nuits rouges
5. The Films of Budd Boetticher
Last edited by thethirdman on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnome

#142 Post by Saturnome » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:46 pm

thethirdman wrote: 5. Le deuxième soufflé

Gregory

#143 Post by Gregory » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Releases of the Year
1. The Furies
2. Vampyr
3. 4 by Agnes Varda
4. Antonio Gaudí
5. Trafic

Best Eclipse Release
Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Best Reissue
Salò – but I was extremely glad to have High and Low and the Varda titles as well.

Best Commentary or visual essay
Casper Tyberg on Vampyr. This is as good as any full-length commentary and is better than about 99 percent of them. Tag Gallagher’s on Madame de… is almost as good.

Best Single Supplement
Mann interview on The Furies (Actions Speak Louder than Words)
I did skip most of these (few enough end up being really worthwhile that I’m saving most of these for the future when I’m watching fewer actual films and/or have more time on my hands – if such a day ever comes.)

Best Cover
I’m pretty indifferent about most of these. I’ll go with Brand Upon the Brain even though I haven’t even seen the film.

Best (Re)Discovery
Le Bonheur

Le Plaisir

Forum Member of the Year
zedz deserves it, although I've gotten a lot out of the the substantive constributions of many members. I won't attempt a list, as I would inevitably leave someone out. An extra thanks to those who were helpful and friendly to me via PM over the past year -- you know who you are.

1. Mizoguchi films from MoC (many other members have lumped these into a single vote, so I’m following suit)
2. La Roue and J’Accuse (Flicker Alley)
3. Ford at Fox or Murnau/Borzage, whichever is being counted for this year’s poll
4. Budd Boetticher set
5. Georges Méliès: First Wizard of Cinema (I look forward to a follow-up set dedicated to cinema’s second wizard)

GringoTex

#144 Post by GringoTex » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 pm

REminder: Voting ends at 10 pm EST tomorrow (24.5 hours from now)

Doctor Sunshine

#145 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Release of the Year
This Sporting Life
Vampyr
The Furies
Le deuxième souffle
The Small Black Room

Best Eclipse Release
Postwar Kurosawa

Best Reissue
High and Low

Best Commentary
Schrader and Alan Poul, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Best Single Supplement
Toshiro Mifune interview, High and Low

Best Cover
Patriotism

Best Package Design
Vampyr

Best (Re)Discovery
Blast of Silence

La ronde

Lightning

#146 Post by Lightning » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Release of the Year
1 - Pierrot le fou
2 - This Sporting Life
3 - White Dog
4 - Chungking Express
5 - Brand Upon the Brain!

Best Eclipse Release
- Larisa Shepitko

Best Reissue
- Cleo from 5 to 7

Best Cover
- Le Plaisir

Best Package
- Vampyr

Best Discovery
- Classe tous risques

1 - Le Femme Publique (Mondo, Limited Ed.)
2 - Alice in the Cities (Axiom, R2)
3 - Kings of the Road (Axiom, R2)
4 - Police (MoC, R2)
5 - L.A. Confidential (Warner, Blu)

Tommaso

#147 Post by Tommaso » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Saturnome, just glorious!! :lol:

tavernier

#148 Post by tavernier » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Release of the Year
1 - An Autumn Afternoon
2 - Shepitko Eclipse
3 - Varda Boxed Set
4 - Silent Ozu Eclipse
5 - Mafioso

Best Eclipse Release
Shepitko

Best Reissue
High and Low

Best Single Supplement
the 2 Remembrances docs on the Varda set

Best Discovery
Patriotism

Forum Member of the Year/Richard Cranium Award
(tie) Barmy/Barmy

1 - O Thou Transcendent (Tony Palmer DVD)
2 - Sacha Guitry box (France)
3 - Police and L’Enfance-nue (MoC)
4 - La Vie de Jesus (MoC)
5 - La Notte (MoC)

Cash Flagg

#149 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Release of the Year:
1. This Sporting Life
2. Miss Julie
3. Pierrot le Fou
4. The Naked Prey
5. Blast of Silence

Best Eclipse Release:
Eclipse Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women

Best Reissue:
High and Low

Best Commentary:
Jim Kitses on The Furies

Best Single Supplement:
A "Pierrot" Primer by Filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin

Best Cover:
Vampyr

Best Package Design:

Best Discovery:
Eclipse Series 12: Aki Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy

Most Disappointing Release:
Patriotism (this should have been an extra on Mishima)

Zedz

Richard Cranium Award:

I don't think I've earned the right to mock any forum members

1. Murnau, Borzage, & Fox - Fox
2. Georges Melies: First Wizard of Cinema (1896-1913) - Flicker Alley
3. Budd Boetticher Box Set (The Tall T., Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station) - Sony
4. Mizoguchi Double Features - MoC
5. L'Argent - MoC

Dylan

#150 Post by Dylan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:17 pm

This year, I'm only going to vote in one category (which has never been a problem previous years)...

Domino Harvey