'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
HelenLawson

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#1376 Post by HelenLawson » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 pm

More RWF on the way! I asked specifically about his TV work like World on a Wire and Women in New York, but this is better than nothing. Oh, and no Gong Li yet....
Hi Michael,

I think we do plan to release Fassbinder's Lili Marleen at some point, but it's not on the schedule right now. To the best of my knowledge we have no current plans for Farewell, My Concubine. I hope this helps, and thanks for your e-mail!

Sincerely,
Jon Mulvaney

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#1377 Post by Tribe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:54 pm

From Mulvaney regarding the chances of Bruno Dumont releases:
The chances are good. I believe we plan to release La vie de Jesus and L'Humanite before too long. Feel free to check back, and thanks for your e-mail!

Best,
JM

ptatler

#1378 Post by ptatler » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I didn't realize I'd double-mailed Mulvaney re: Bresson. Embarrassing. Anyway...

My Question:
I was wondering if there's any truth to the rumors that you guys are kicking out a new DVD of A Man Escaped. After watching all of the Vampyr extras this weekend, I'm also curious if you guys are going to bring any more Dreyer into the fold. And what about Ophuls' LOLA MONTES?
His Answer:
Thank you for your e-mails. I think we do plan to release more Bresson, but I cannot confirm a specific title at this time. I am not sure if we plan to release more of Dreyer's work or not, but feel free to check back. Lola Montes is likely, but it is not on the current schedule. I hope this helps!

Best,
JM
Sucks about Dreyer. I'd love to see LOVE ONE ANOTHER, TWO PEOPLE, or THE PRESIDENT.

Finch

#1379 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Great news about MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW - is it too optimistic to hope they'll release it in the autumn or winter? Wonder why Universal would licence it to Criterion and not MoC. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually release it themselves here in a barebones disc on a par with the French disc.

As for extras, a video essay on the influence of the film on other works (Tokyo Story) and McCarey's oeuvre would be great. Now please Criterion get Ruggles of Red Gap as well. I need my Charles Laughton fix.

movielocke

#1380 Post by movielocke » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:12 pm

Make Way for Tomorrow (hopefully as a standalone special edition, I'd love to have it in blu but I know that's wishful thinking) is the best news I've heard since the Ozu silents were announced! One of the best films of the thirties and McCarey's masterpiece. It'd be amazing if we could get a McCarey eclipse as well, Ruggles of Red Gap and many of his others deserved to be noticed again. :)

Tommaso

#1381 Post by Tommaso » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:05 pm

I'm more surprised that Mulvaney didn't rule out Dreyer completely, given that they already released all his most famous films. In any case, should there ever be more Dreyer films in the collection, they will almost certainly be released as an Eclipse set.
The news about "Lola Montes" not being on the current schedule worries me much more. I hoped for an announcement of a CC release before the Second Sight disc comes in March or April, if only to compare extras. Well then, Second Sight it needs must be. And don't expect me to double-dip afterwards.

HerrSchreck

#1382 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm

I thought Lola being right up the release road was a given.... hmmmm... (looks at package)... so I wonder what this thing is, Dave?

arsonfilms

#1383 Post by arsonfilms » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Lola Montes is forthcoming from Rialto, so it'll likely come eventually, just not right away.

ptatler

#1384 Post by ptatler » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Yeah I figured LOLA MONTES would follow the same pattern as ARMY OF SHADOWS or PIERROT LE FOU.

I though MAN ESCAPED was a given, too. I'd also hoped that the Janus revival of DAY OF WRATH meant we'd see either the Dreyer box set broken up (a la Cassavetes) or reissued. A Dreyer Eclipse would be capital, but I'm going to take others' advice and start shelling out $ for MoC discs. I see they have MICHAEL...

HerrSchreck

#1385 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:28 pm

ptatler wrote:Yeah I figured LOLA MONTES would follow the same pattern as ARMY OF SHADOWS or PIERROT LE FOU.

I though MAN ESCAPED was a given, too. I'd also hoped that the Janus revival of DAY OF WRATH meant we'd see either the Dreyer box set broken up (a la Cassavetes) or reissued. A Dreyer Eclipse would be capital, but I'm going to take others' advice and start shelling out $ for MoC discs. I see they have MICHAEL...
What is it in the Dreyer box that you DON'T want, causin youto hope the box would be cracked a la Cassavetes? If a "Dreyer Eclipse" would be capital, the existing CC box is manna.

ptatler

#1386 Post by ptatler » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:54 pm

I love the box. Was thinking of gifting ORDET to a couple people is all.

arsonfilms

#1387 Post by arsonfilms » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Wise Blood and The Friends of Eddie Coyle are now beginning to appear on the Criterion site.

kaujot

#1388 Post by kaujot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Imamura boxset - "Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes: 3 Films by Shohei Imamura"

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1389 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:21 pm

Ran on Blu!

HelenLawson

#1390 Post by HelenLawson » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Is this it? Not even another Blu?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1391 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:51 pm

HelenLawson wrote:Is this it? Not even another Blu?
Well, that is five new films, plus a very welcome surprise on Blu. Still, what happened to this:
ZLow wrote:Resnais’ “Last Year In Marienbad” will be released in May on DVD and Blu-Ray.

HelenLawson

#1392 Post by HelenLawson » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Yeah, Marienbad was the one I was expecting and hoping for, especially after March and April are so meh.

kaujot

#1393 Post by kaujot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 pm

April is meh?

Matt

#1394 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:01 pm

kaujot wrote:April is meh?
Yes, unless you're a big Oshima fan, I guess. The only Criterions I've bought and plan to buy so far this year are the Buñuels and the Shimizu Eclipse. Between this and Warners' slim classics release slate, I'm saving tons of money.

kaujot

#1395 Post by kaujot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Painleve, The Hit, and even the Oshimas look interesting. The Painleve is enough out-of-the-norm for Criterion that it registers pretty high on the excitement meters form. And, well, I love a good gangster movie.

knives

#1396 Post by knives » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Matt wrote:
kaujot wrote:April is meh?
Yes, unless you're a big Oshima fan, I guess. The only Criterions I've bought and plan to buy so far this year are the Buñuels and the Shimizu Eclipse. Between this and Warners' slim classics release slate, I'm saving tons of money.
Wish I could say that, but I've only got twenty.

kaujot

#1397 Post by kaujot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Incidentally, since Criterion has stated that they don't have the rights to The Dead, do we know who does?

Matt

#1398 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:17 pm

kaujot wrote:Incidentally, since Criterion has stated that they don't have the rights to The Dead, do we know who does?
If it's still part of the Vestron library, it's at Lionsgate.

TheGodfather

#1399 Post by TheGodfather » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:00 pm

swo17 wrote:Still, what happened to this:
ZLow wrote:Resnais’ “Last Year In Marienbad” will be released in May on DVD and Blu-Ray.
A real let down, again. Gotta wait another month, or is it likely it`ll still be announced for may after all? (maybe at a later point or so?)

kaujot

#1400 Post by kaujot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Criterion shuffles releases around every now and then, even after having announced them (I believe the Malle boxset had this happen to it).