Forthcoming Lists Discussion & Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
benm

#201 Post by benm » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:01 am

does anyone care to shed some light on why image will not allow the complete mr. arkadin into canada?

i mean they're already jerks for having such a high MSRP for canada (as compared to the states) for criterion releases but now to say it will be available in canada seems just downright unfair.

kinjitsu

#202 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:11 am

domino harvey wrote:I could see the Elevator to the Gallows coming with a soundtrack CD, as I don't think the soundtrack is still in print?
Nice thought, however the soundtrack is still in print.

ben d banana

#203 Post by ben d banana » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:42 am

benm wrote:does anyone care to shed some light on why image will not allow the complete mr. arkadin into canada?

i mean they're already jerks for having such a high MSRP for canada (as compared to the states) for criterion releases but now to say it will be available in canada seems just downright unfair.
Someone else must have the rights for Canada, as Alliance does for Traffic and presumably TVA does for the Malle and Fists in the Pocket in Quebec. Regardless, I'm certain it will be stocked in at least one small Vancouver record store.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#204 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:11 am

Kinjitsu wrote:Nice thought, however the soundtrack is still in print.
ah, well I need to pick that up then!

pzman84

#205 Post by pzman84 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:36 am

The Complete Mr. Arkadin is now in there coming soon section for April.

kschell

#206 Post by kschell » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Kinjitsu wrote:Nice thought, however the soundtrack is still in print.
ah, well I need to pick that up then!
You won't be sorry... it's an excellent Miles album.

Matt

#207 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:50 pm

zedz

#208 Post by zedz » Thu May 18, 2006 10:28 pm

Strictly speaking, this probably belongs in the Criterion 2006 thread, but I figured it would be better to let that one lie!

As far as I can tell, the following titles have been either officially announced or strongly hinted at for 2006.

REISSUES
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Amarcord
Playtime

plus the AWOL Grey Gardens briefly announced for May?

NEW
Border Radio
Spirit of the Beehive
Jigoku
She's Gotta Have It
(if we connect the various dots)

BOX SET
Tati - a bit of a wild card, this. At the least inspiring level, this could just be the new Playtime plus the old M Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle (yawn). At the most, this could entail improved editions of those two titles, plus Jour de Fete and Trafic (and maybe even Parade), which would add four or five titles to the list above.

There are only four months left, and December has traditionally been lower-key, so this might just about be the full schedule. If you figure in any Eclipse titles (Jigoku could be one, but none of the other titles would seem to fit), then this would presumably mean a stepping up of the number of releases per month (at last!).

LightBulbFilm

#209 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu May 18, 2006 10:36 pm

CRITERION BETTER FUCKING RELEASE SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT! THAT FILM BETTER BE SITTING ON MY SHELF BEFORE FUCKING CHRISTMAS OR I'M GOING TO PLAY THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME WITH MULVANEY! MOTHER FUCKER!

Sorry, but I really want them to release the film. Last I heard Island was a Universal property, it just has to be in the works.

denti alligator

#210 Post by denti alligator » Thu May 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Well, there have to be more than 4 new releases, right? So I expect a huge number of titles for September through December, which is not good for the credit cards and me.

LightBulbFilm

#211 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu May 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Maybe from way outfield Criterion will throw us a Night on Earth...?

zedz

#212 Post by zedz » Thu May 18, 2006 10:57 pm

denti alligator wrote:Well, there have to be more than 4 new releases, right? So I expect a huge number of titles for September through December, which is not good for the credit cards and me.
It is indeed looking very reissue-heavy.

Of course, the other possibility is that some of the 'announced' titles will be no-shows held over till next year, but let's not think about that. . .

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#213 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 19, 2006 12:07 am

surely we'll see Pierrot le fou or 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her before the year's out

HerrSchreck

#214 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri May 19, 2006 12:58 am

LightBulbFilm wrote:CRITERION BETTER FUCKING RELEASE SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT! THAT FILM BETTER BE SITTING ON MY SHELF BEFORE FUCKING CHRISTMAS OR I'M GOING TO PLAY THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME WITH MULVANEY! MOTHER FUCKER!

Sorry, but I really want them to release the film. Last I heard Island was a Universal property, it just has to be in the works.
I feel all horrible inside...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#215 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri May 19, 2006 1:39 am

domino harvey wrote:surely we'll see Pierrot le fou or 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her before the year's out
That depends on when Rialto plans on re-releasing 2 or 3 Things. It's been in the pipeline for 2 1/2 years now and there still isn't a firm date AFAIK.

Gordon

#216 Post by Gordon » Fri May 19, 2006 3:50 am

I just recieved an email from Criterion:
In September, we will be releasing every film ever made and even some films from the future in a big fucking boxed set, featuring audio commentaries on each film by the director, regardless of them being dead. Now fuck off, you cunt and tell your buddies at your precious forum. Fucking dickhead.
See? They can be helpful and revealing. Great news about that boxed set.

ellipsis7

#217 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:01 am

PIERROT LE FOU
MOUCHETTE
LA NOTTE
EARLY SPRING

all could/should be likely for remainder of 06, early 07...

and maybe they might also mark this year's Rossellini centenary with a release of say EUROPA 51...

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#218 Post by Caligula » Fri May 19, 2006 5:24 am

Now that it has received a Rialto release, I would think that chances are fair that we'll see Army of Darkness towards year's end.

skuhn8

#219 Post by skuhn8 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:22 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
LightBulbFilm wrote:CRITERION BETTER FUCKING RELEASE SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT! THAT FILM BETTER BE SITTING ON MY SHELF BEFORE FUCKING CHRISTMAS OR I'M GOING TO PLAY THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME WITH MULVANEY! MOTHER FUCKER!

I feel all horrible inside...
For a second thought i was on the criterionforum.COM site

Narshty

#220 Post by Narshty » Fri May 19, 2006 7:31 am

These days, who can tell?

keeproductions

#221 Post by keeproductions » Fri May 19, 2006 8:49 am

Now that it has received a Rialto release, I would think that chances are fair that we'll see Army of Darkness towards year's end.
Surely you meant Army of Shadows?

Although Evil Dead 3 in the collection is not necessarily a bad thing.

mezcla

#222 Post by mezcla » Fri May 19, 2006 9:35 am

ctrl+f jodorowsky

oldsheperd

#223 Post by oldsheperd » Fri May 19, 2006 9:42 am

Hopefully, "We Cut Heads" will be included in the She's Gotta Have It. Mezcla, I dig the Os Mutantes Avatar.

Andre Jurieu

#224 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri May 19, 2006 11:18 am

Narshty wrote:These days, who can tell?
It's funny because it's true. Of course, as always, comedy and tragedy aren't that far apart.

ByMarkClark.com

#225 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 pm

I seriously doubt we'll see all six of those reissues in 2006. GREY GARDENS seems like a sure thing. But I'm betting we'll only get one of the Kurosawas (my guess is SEVEN SAMURAI, in December). At the pace so far, I wouldn't consider PLAYTIME or AMARCORD locks, either.

I think we'll see three new releases per month Sept-Nov, including one more boxed set.

And, believe it or not, I think we'll see Eclipse debut in October!