Production Costs?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jimaku

#26 Post by Jimaku » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:37 pm

marty wrote:
Jimaku wrote:Since many (most?) Criterion films are not in English there is additionally the cost of commissioning translations for both the features and extras, which can run into thousands of dollars.
While most recent films and even some older films that have been remastered by the producers normally have .stl subtitle files already but I would think that many of the obscure ones that Criterion have released would not so they would have to pay for the translation costs. It then makes sense that they should share these costs by working with other overseas distributors who can bear some of it relative to their respective market size.
Criterion pays for new or revised translations for practically all their films, including those that have already been translated. Most existing subtitle translations are riddled with both errors and infelicities of expression and really aren't up to Criterion's standards.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#27 Post by cdnchris » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:13 pm

I remember reading an interview with a DVD producer who was talking about work he was doing for Disney now (I remember talk about an Italian release of Lilo & Stitch being mentioned) and also talked about when he was working with Criterion producing laserdiscs. He talked about how he almost got canned for the new subtitle translation on Andrei Rublev and the costs behind it. Anybody have any idea how much a subtitle translation can cost?

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/inte ... rance.html (and here's that interview, just had to Google "Lilo & Stitch Andrei Rublev", probably the only page on the web with that combo of words)