Criterion Random Speculation Vol.4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
What A Disgrace

#551 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm in for High and Low, and Vampyr. Trafic can wait until November for me...and I'll see about the Jutra. I have a feeling that Vampyr will either have more in the way of supplements...or that the visual essay is going to be quite extensive. It better be at least as long as the film...I don't pay $28 for a Dreyer film so I can listen to Tony "Thinking Less of Certain Films is a Worthy Approach to DVD Supplements" Rayns talk longer than Casper Tybjerg.

Dissapointing that there is no Eclipse set (as of yet?). I was really hoping for Gremillion, or Naruse, or Duvivier...

justeleblanc

#552 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Funny you mention Duvivier, I had a dream last night that Criterion released an Eclipse set of Feyder films, only Le Grand jeu was too scratched... and as I watched it it slowly became a lost Lubitsch musical.

About VAMPYR, my friend at Criterion just told me that the materials are incredibly f-ed. I'm not sure what they have planned between now and the release, but I'm not too optimistic.

Jeff

#553 Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 pm

Official threads for the July titles are open for business.

denti alligator

#554 Post by denti alligator » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:38 pm

About VAMPYR, my friend at Criterion just told me that the materials are incredibly f-ed.
What is this supposed to mean? We've seen the French DVD and it looks fine (except for inaccurate AR). It's also the Koerber resto, so how could the materials be ....?

criterionaficionado

#555 Post by criterionaficionado » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:45 pm

i agree, what are these bits of info about vampyr materials being f'ed? stop worrying me...

denti alligator

#556 Post by denti alligator » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Looks like this has already been addressed in the Vampyr thread.

Either way, best month this year so far!

criterionaficionado

#557 Post by criterionaficionado » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07 am

thanks denti...best month for sure, 7/08 is the shit!!!
its been a while since a bergman flic was added to catalogue. i nominate the magician as a late summer/early fall release. come to think of it, bunuel's exterminating angel coupled with simon of the desert is actually making me excited just thinking about it. september: bergman/bunuel - that would be awesome.

El Manchego

#558 Post by El Manchego » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:19 am

criterionaficionado wrote:thanks denti...best month for sure, 7/08 is the shit!!!
its been a while since a bergman flic was added to catalogue. i nominate the magician as a late summer/early fall release. come to think of it, bunuel's exterminating angel coupled with simon of the desert is actually making me excited just thinking about it. september: bergman/bunuel - that would be awesome.
On the subject of more Bunuel, did anything (i.e. rumors) ever develop regarding the Five French Films of Luis Bunuel boxset after they briefly added the formatting to the website a couple months back?

Tommaso

#559 Post by Tommaso » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:05 am

criterionaficionado wrote:its been a while since a bergman flic was added to catalogue. i nominate the magician as a late summer/early fall release.
Wouldn't be bad, but what the world really needs is "Face to Face". And an Eclipse set of his late TV work.

htdm

#560 Post by htdm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 am

charulata

OOOOoooo

#561 Post by charulata » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 am

Late Rossellini TV work. Sweet.

From IMDb:

Cartesius (1974) (TV) aka Descartes (France)
Agostino d'Ippona (1972) (TV) aka Augustine of Hippo (USA)
Blaise Pascal (1972) (TV) aka Blaise Pascal (USA)
Socrate (1971) (TV) aka Socrates (USA)

And in there too but not explicitly identified:

L'Età di Cosimo de Medici (1973) (TV) aka The Age of Cosimo de Medici (International: English title) The Age of the Medici (USA)

Harmonov

An aside from the July releases

#562 Post by Harmonov » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:33 am

Does anyone know of the possibilities that they might release any of the following by John Cassavetes?:

Husbands
Gloria
Minnie & Moskowitz
Love Streams

I know Sony has the rights to Gloria (at least I think they do). Minnie & Moskowitz is now out of print and Anchor Bay had released that DVD. I've never been able to get a copy of either Love Streams or Husbands and would love to see them. I adore the box set that Criterion put out, but it was sorely lacking both Love Streams and Husbands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GringoTex

Re: OOOOoooo

#563 Post by GringoTex » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:04 pm

charulata wrote:Late Rossellini TV work. Sweet.

From IMDb:

Cartesius (1974) (TV) aka Descartes (France)
Agostino d'Ippona (1972) (TV) aka Augustine of Hippo (USA)
Blaise Pascal (1972) (TV) aka Blaise Pascal (USA)
Socrate (1971) (TV) aka Socrates (USA)

And in there too but not explicitly identified:

L'Età di Cosimo de Medici (1973) (TV) aka The Age of Cosimo de Medici (International: English title) The Age of the Medici (USA)
Best Criterion news I've heard all year. Rossellini has to be the most ill-treated great director in DVDdome, and hopefully some restored versions of his better-known films aren't far behind.

ellipsis7

#564 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07 pm

GringoTex wrote:Best Criterion news I've heard all year. Rossellini has to be the most ill-treated great director in DVDdome, and hopefully some restored versions of his better-known films aren't far behind.
Tag Gallagher refers to SOCRATE, BLAISE PASCAL & CARTESIO as the 'Trilogy of Desiccation' - not sure MEDICI & AUGUSTINE will however be included.... It will run long enough with the first 3...

Via_Chicago

#565 Post by Via_Chicago » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:09 pm

GringoTex wrote:Best Criterion news I've heard all year. Rossellini has to be the most ill-treated great director in DVDdome, and hopefully some restored versions of his better-known films aren't far behind.
Yes, this is great news, and more in the vein of the Eclipse line. This news, along with the Ozu and Lubitsch boxes, Pierrot le fou, and now Vampyr, really helps redeem what has up until now been a pretty lackluster year for the big C.

MadJack

#566 Post by MadJack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:12 pm

I think Gloria was released recently (well, 2003) by Columbia - doesn't look too bad, and its probably the best we'll get, at least for a while.

And for what it's worth, IMDB says Husbands is Columbia as well (maybe just theatrically?). Minnie and Moskowitz appears likely though, being Universal.

jaredsap

Re: An aside from the July releases

#567 Post by jaredsap » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Harmonov wrote:Does anyone know of the possibilities that they might release any of the following by John Cassavetes?:

Husbands
Gloria
Minnie & Moskowitz
Love Streams
Sony owns GLORIA and HUSBANDS in perpetuity, so a Criterion release is highly unlikely. MGM owns LOVE STREAMS. Not sure about MINNIE.
MadJack wrote:And for what it's worth, IMDB says Husbands is Columbia as well (maybe just theatrically?).
No. All media.

Doug Cummings

#568 Post by Doug Cummings » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Extremely excited by the Late Rossellini news.

Doug Cummings

#569 Post by Doug Cummings » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Filmforum's new page on The Human Condition trilogy

Cronenfly

#570 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Minnie and Moskowitz is Universal, so it's feasible, but I don't think Criterion would be able to do enough with it (in terms of features, transfer, etc) better than the current OOP disc to justify releasing it, unlike, say, Two-Lane Blacktop.

arsonfilms

#571 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Minnie and Moskowitz is Universal, so it's feasible, but I don't think Criterion would be able to do enough with it (in terms of features, transfer, etc) better than the current OOP disc to justify releasing it, unlike, say, Two-Lane Blacktop.
Wow, wow, wait a second. You did say OOP, right? And that replacing it isn't justified?

How much do you hate the film, exactly?

Cronenfly

#572 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:44 pm

arsonfilms wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:Minnie and Moskowitz is Universal, so it's feasible, but I don't think Criterion would be able to do enough with it (in terms of features, transfer, etc) better than the current OOP disc to justify releasing it, unlike, say, Two-Lane Blacktop.
Wow, wow, wait a second. You did say OOP, right? And that replacing it isn't justified?

How much do you hate the film, exactly?
Sure it's justified, but only for that reason; my only point was that I can't think of much Criterion would be able to add/do to improve upon the Anchor Bay edition. There are many other OOP discs (and movies never released) I think Criterion could put together better packages for than this one. I think that a Universal barebones reissue would be the more reasonable solution (a la Melvin and Howard), but I feel that this particular title has fallen between the cracks of the two companies (i.e. Criterion would be the one more likely to release it because it's Cassavetes, but there aren't enough potential supplements, etc to make it worth their while, and while Universal might release a barebones version they don't give a shit to have the movie in print at all). I'd have nothing against Criterion handling the film, and they may very well do just that (the long list of Universal properties they've licensed speaks to this), but I just don't see it happening (not anytime soon at least).

criterionsnob

#573 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:12 pm

Confirmation on Criterion.com of the upcoming Maddin:
...Guy Maddin (My Winnipeg), whose Brand Upon the Brain! is slated for release this summer.

solaris72

#574 Post by solaris72 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 am

ellipsis7 wrote:not sure MEDICI & AUGUSTINE will however be included.... It will run long enough with the first 3...
It was pointed out in the other thread, but...the full title of AUGUSTINE is AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO, and this month's "wacky animal" is a hippo.

ellipsis7

#575 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:49 am

solaris72 wrote:
ellipsis7 wrote:not sure MEDICI & AUGUSTINE will however be included.... It will run long enough with the first 3...
It was pointed out in the other thread, but...the full title of AUGUSTINE is AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO, and this month's "wacky animal" is a hippo.
So it is!... I stand corrected... AGOSTINO D'IPPONA...