Criterion Random Speculation Vol.4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
What A Disgrace

#651 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat May 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Don't they own a Kiarostami or two?

After being blown away by Close Up...I'm itching.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#652 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sat May 10, 2008 8:41 pm

All this speculation on possible Miramax licensing is nice; but, if Disney couldn't work out an arrangement for the re-release of "Chasing Amy," then I doubt they would allow a deluge of profitable arthouse fare to slip out to a third-party.

Hope I'm wrong.

-BJ

Cronenfly

#653 Post by Cronenfly » Sat May 10, 2008 8:57 pm

It is strange that Chasing Amy's "re-release" will just be a new supplementary disc (and one Criterion seems to have no involvement in). So it's entirely possible that there's some bad blood there, but I still wouldn't be surprised at a Miramax deal. Most of the titles are indeed "profitable arthouse fare," but none are anything that Disney seems to know how to or wants to handle itself. Here's hoping we have another Universal/Paramount on our hands.

Miramax does indeed own a Kiarostami: Under the Olive Trees, which they've been sitting on forever. But I'm not sure whether The Piano rests with Lionsgate or Miramax.
Last edited by Cronenfly on Sun May 11, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#654 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sun May 11, 2008 11:36 am

"The Piano" is with Lionsgate, as far as I remember.

-BJ

Cronenfly

#655 Post by Cronenfly » Sun May 11, 2008 1:23 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:"The Piano" is with Lionsgate, as far as I remember.
Same as (to name at least two titles) The Crying Game and Reservoir Dogs, I guess: Miramax is credited on Lionsgate's DVDs of those films, but I guess that the rights changed hands between theatrical and home video distribution. Live/Artisan put all three of the aforementioned titles out early on in the DVD format, with newer editions of Crying and Reservoir to follow, so I guess LG doesn't care/hasn't gotten aroung to putting out a new, decent edition of The Piano.

MuzikJunky

#656 Post by MuzikJunky » Tue May 13, 2008 3:06 am

Cronenfly wrote:the firm, official confirmation of Bottle Rocket will (I hope) commence the flood of Sony-controlled properties.
Hopefully CC will rerelease Lagaan as well, since Sony’s DVD, severely lacking in special features despite a 15-minute deleted scene, is, I believe, OOP as well. Peace.

psufootball07

#657 Post by psufootball07 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Chasing Amy getting a re-release? Anyone have a link? Anyways I was wondering when Criterion would be announcing their releases for August? They just released Fire Within, The Lovers and Thief of Bagdad is releasing soon, so I would assume after that got released they would announce some more upcoming titles.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#658 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 13, 2008 12:28 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Anyways I was wondering when Criterion would be announcing their releases for August?
Sometime between now and the end of the week. They usually announce at or around the 15th.

psufootball07

#659 Post by psufootball07 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks, I didn't there was a specific time they released, just that they hadn't for a while now. Hopefully they are all new releases and not re-releases.

Person

#660 Post by Person » Tue May 13, 2008 5:37 pm

For once, I am hoping that the August titles are dull, dull, dull, now that Criterion are teasing us with Blu Ray possibilities. I am such a cunt.

jbeall

#661 Post by jbeall » Tue May 13, 2008 5:39 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Thanks, I didn't there was a specific time they released, just that they hadn't for a while now. Hopefully they are all new releases and not re-releases.
Unless it's the re-release of Salo, that is.

colinr0380

#662 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:38 pm

I guess People On Sunday has to turn up some time soon?

Tommaso

#663 Post by Tommaso » Wed May 14, 2008 5:58 am

And "The Human Condition". They'll probably Eclipse it ...

Harmonov

Mishima on Netflix

#664 Post by Harmonov » Wed May 14, 2008 11:12 am

Anyone know how it is that Netflix has Mishima being released last week? Unfortunately, I was unable to get one of their copies to see which edition it is. It now has a "very long wait" - something that often occurs with Criterion discs after they've been released.

The cover shown on the site is the old Warner Bros. cover, but it has been out of print for a while.

It may just be an error. Sometimes they get things way in advance as was the case with Wong Kar Wai's 2046. I got that before it ever came close to hitting theaters here in the US and it appeared to be a legit release as well.

jbeall

Re: Mishima on Netflix

#665 Post by jbeall » Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 am

Harmonov wrote:Anyone know how it is that Netflix has Mishima being released last week? Unfortunately, I was unable to get one of their copies to see which edition it is. It now has a "very long wait" - something that often occurs with Criterion discs after they've been released.

The cover shown on the site is the old Warner Bros. cover, but it has been out of print for a while.

It may just be an error. Sometimes they get things way in advance as was the case with Wong Kar Wai's 2046. I got that before it ever came close to hitting theaters here in the US and it appeared to be a legit release as well.
I'd wager it's just an error on their part. Expect it to either drop down to your "saved movies" list or for "very long wait" to become "releases on June x". That's happened a couple of times in my experience.

Jameson281

#666 Post by Jameson281 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:19 pm

SALO is the second film (after HOUSE OF GAMES) licensed from MGM as part of the 5-picture deal the made in exchange for letting MGM have the RAGING BULL commentary. My hunch is the remaining three will come out as a box set from either Criterion or Eclipse.
Last edited by Jameson281 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

miless

#667 Post by miless » Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 pm

is this true?
what could the other three be?
Of course, my wet dream would be Killer's Kiss, The Killing and Paths of Glory... but those seem far too 'important' for MGM just to let go.

souvenir

#668 Post by souvenir » Thu May 15, 2008 11:47 pm

Jameson281 wrote:This is the second film (after HOUSE OF GAMES) licensed from MGM as part of the 5-picture deal the made in exchange for letting MGM have the RAGING BULL commentary. My hunch is the remaining three will come out as a box set from either Criterion or Eclipse.
That probably negates Kiss Me Deadly, Sweet Smell of Success, Night of the Hunter and any other hopefuls that can't be paired with others by the same director. Interesting (though slightly disappointing).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#669 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 15, 2008 11:49 pm

Could still be Kiss Me Deadly/Night of the Hunter and the poster was thinking of a Noir box-- though we know that wouldn't happen, I'm just grasping at hope. What the fuck MGM property could possibly be more important than those two titles? Nothing.

Jeff

#670 Post by Jeff » Thu May 15, 2008 11:55 pm

miless wrote:is this true?
what could the other three be?
Of course, my wet dream would be Killer's Kiss, The Killing and Paths of Glory... but those seem far too 'important' for MGM just to let go.
Jameson, you tease! He first posted this news one year ago. Somebody (Narshty?) speculated that Salo might be one of the titles since it carries a UA copyright notice. That seemed weird to me (and still does), since Criterion released their original disc long before they worked anything out with MGM.

Jameson, you MUST give us a tiny hint about these other three titles. You've already confirmed that they are not Kubricks or Wilders. And I can assume that Salo is the one title that Criterion had previously released. MGM has a passel of Truffauts and Rohmers without any supplements. How about an Eclipse box called "Guess what? More Dassin!" with Topkapi, 10:30 P.M Summer, and Never on Sunday?

ianungstad

#671 Post by ianungstad » Fri May 16, 2008 12:44 am

If we stick with Pasolini, the box for the other three could be his trilogy of life. MGM obviously had no plans to do anything with Salo...and that seems to apply to Canterbury Tales, Arabian Nights as well.

Maybe the reason they took so long with the rerelease of Salo is because they were working on all 4 Pasolini films at once....

Just an idea.

Jameson281

#672 Post by Jameson281 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:27 am

I'm not at liberty to reveal the titles, just: it's three films connected in some fashion, so it would make sense to release them as a set.

Tom Hagen

#673 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri May 16, 2008 3:25 am

Jeff wrote: MGM has a passel of Truffauts and Rohmers without any supplements.
They also have similarly bare-boned editions of Fellini Satyricon and Roma. The MGM Bergmans are already in a pretty decent set, and I doubt Criterion has much to add in terms of supplements at this point anyway, other than another Cowie commentary track. (Which reminds me, that, for the love of God, Criterion needs to release The Magician already.)

I am actually looking through a list of MGM World Films that came with my Bergman set and I am not seeing a lot of titles that pop up as likely box sets containing three films. There are only two Rohmers (Pauline at the Beach and A Tale of Springtime), and they are from different series. The Truffauts also seem puzzling if only because I seem to remember hearing that Janus has the rights to three or so of his other films that have yet to be released by Criterion.

miless

#674 Post by miless » Fri May 16, 2008 3:35 am

who owns the rights to Fellini's Casanova? or is that one an enigma?

Narshty

#675 Post by Narshty » Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 am

Jeff wrote:Jameson, you tease! He first posted this news one year ago. Somebody (Narshty?) speculated that Salo might be one of the titles since it carries a UA copyright notice. That seemed weird to me (and still does), since Criterion released their original disc long before they worked anything out with MGM.
Also, the BFI disc has a prominent MGM logo on the back of the case. I presume MGM licensed it out to Water Bearer (the licensors for the original Criterion disc) under a set licence, out of sheer embarrassment of association with the film if nothing else.

By the way, there go my hopes for Blow Out, Heaven's Gate and Hope and Glory.