Image acquires Last Emperor, among others

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
a.khan

#26 Post by a.khan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:34 am

While on Wahlberg (that didn't come out right), I recently saw James Gray's "The Yards." Now there's a severely underrated film.

Mental Mike

#27 Post by Mental Mike » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:23 pm

It seems odd that Criterion would release the Last Emperor and not the Conformist....Bertollucci practically rehashed scenes from the Conformist in the Last Emperor, although there was some originality in it and it was very beautiful in its own right...it does not seem right to have the Last Emperor and not its precursur - the Conformist - in the collection...

...If only Paramount could co-operate with us and also give up Last Tango in Paris and Besieged...on that note, How about a Bertollucci box set in CC? I'd buy it.

Ashirg

#28 Post by Ashirg » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Last Tango in Paris is MGM. Besieged is New Line. And I don't see how Criterion can better Paramount release of Conformist without making price twice as much.

skuhn8

#29 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Ashirg wrote:Last Tango in Paris is MGM. Besieged is New Line. And I don't see how Criterion can better Paramount release of Conformist without making price twice as much.
This is part of the label obsession. Like having The CC logo on a film somehow authenticates it.

It's like judging a piece of ass by the brand of jeans that covers it! :twisted:

miless

#30 Post by miless » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:22 pm

skuhn8 wrote:It's like judging a piece of ass by the brand of jeans that covers it! :twisted:
here here

sevenarts

#31 Post by sevenarts » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Yea I really don't get it. I daresay the existing Conformist disc is damn-near perfect. And you can buy it for under $10. Is it really worth adding $20-30 to the price just to get that little C in the corner of the package?

That said, I don't really remember enjoying Last Emperor all that much, but that was a long time ago. May be worth revisiting now that I've seen more Bertolucci.

justeleblanc

#32 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:27 pm

sevenarts wrote:That said, I don't really remember enjoying Last Emperor all that much, but that was a long time ago. May be worth revisiting now that I've seen more Bertolucci.
Me neither, while it's pretty to look it, I'm shocked that Criterion is spending time on it, when a bare bones image release would certainly be sufficient.

Ashirg

#33 Post by Ashirg » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:58 pm

Yet, it's only third best-picture Oscar winner Criterion has a chance to work on and I'm sure there's a market for those.

Cinesimilitude

#34 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:11 pm

Last Emperor should be 3 discs, with the Theatrical cut, Extended cut, and a disc of supplements. It will sell like crazy I'm sure.

Steven H

#35 Post by Steven H » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:26 am

I can't think about The Last Emperor without remembering The Simpsons referencing the scene where Pu Yi's eunuch servants are holding up sheets for him to play in between. It is bizarre that Oshima wasn't mentioned by name in the press release. I wonder if Bowie's participation on The Man Who Fell To Earth had more to do with the idea behind working on Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence than Oshima (who's brilliant 60s films are more and more conspicuously absent on DVD as each day passes).

Close The Door, Raymond

#36 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Fri May 25, 2007 4:24 am

SncDthMnky wrote:Last Emperor should be 3 discs, with the Theatrical cut, Extended cut, and a disc of supplements. It will sell like crazy I'm sure.
The region 2 UK "Double Disc Special Edition" of The Last Emperor (released by Optimum Home Entertainment) features the 156-minute theatrical version on one disc and the 209-minute Director's Cut on the other. There is audio commentary by Bertolucci, Jeremy Thomas and Ryuichi Sakamoto on disc one only. Also featured is about an hour-long documentary about Bertolucci and the making of the film. This documentary was produced by David Hinton and Melvyn Bragg and aired in the UK in 1988 as part of The South Bank Show. In addition to this, Bertolucci has included about 7 minutes worth of his personal home video shot while on vacation in China before the making of the film.

The current Region 1 DVD release from Artisan (which has been out-of-print for a few years now) had a inferior transfer. I am sure demand for the film has built up over the years since it has been out-of-print. Criterion will definitely sell a lot.

Besides offering a pristine presentation, I hope Criterion will add more extras including interviews Vittorio Storaro, David Byrne, co-screenwriter Mark Peploe (who is also Bertolucci's brother-in-law) and the cast members. I hope they keep or record a new audio commentary by Bertolucci, Thomas and Sakamoto. On Criterion's previous Bertolucci release, La Commare Secca, there was no audio commentary, only an interview. So I don't think it's a guarantee that there will be one. While they are at it, maybe also the 30 Seconds to Mars music video From Yesterday?

dustybooks

#37 Post by dustybooks » Fri May 25, 2007 11:06 am

Yet, it's only third best-picture Oscar winner Criterion has a chance to work on and I'm sure there's a market for those.
It's the fourth, isn't it? I always forget Hamlet.

Gigi M.

#38 Post by Gigi M. » Wed May 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Judging by this release from Spain, I think is safe to assume Last Emperor to come out at the end of year for its 20th anniversary. Bertolucci has recorded an audio commentary and it will include both director's and theatrical cuts. Great news.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#39 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Video Business wrote:To further stoke Criterion's momentum, the label later this year will release The Last Emperor, which Image believes will be its highest-profile title to date. Director Bernardo Bertolucci, who took home one of the nine Oscars bestowed upon the 1987 film, is involved in crafting the Criterion title. Bertolucci will tentatively deliver a four-hour director's cut of Last Emperor expressly for the Criterion set, which also will include the original theatrical version. It likely will be listed at around $50 and be promoted heavily as a 20th anniversary release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 pm

November was pretty big last year, maybe we can expect to see this announced within the week?

Gigi M.

#41 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:November was pretty big last year, maybe we can expect to see this announced within the week?
It wasn't huge as the year before, but it was great nevertheless:

- Pandora's Box
- Double life of Veronique
- The Fallen Idol

Cinesimilitude

#42 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:41 pm

so he's adding at least another 31 minutes, that is awesome news. I hope it fans out the ending a bit more (everything post-interrogation), as that is the only part of the film that feels slightly rushed to me.

oldsheperd

#43 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing Last Tango in the CC sometime

Awesome Welles

#44 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Hopefully this pave the way for more Bertolucci, namely The Spider's Stratagem. Who owns the rights to this?

miless

#45 Post by miless » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 pm

FSimeoni wrote:Hopefully this pave the way for more Bertolucci, namely The Spider's Stratagem. Who owns the rights to this?
aren't they working on Before The Revolution?

What A Disgrace

#46 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:44 pm

This is a first for Criterion...an exclusive director's cut of a Best Picture Oscar winner.

I just hope this isn't going to be The Last Emperor Now Redux.

Jeff

#47 Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:12 pm

The other great news in that article is that Criterion's sales have jumped up 26% this year, largely due to the consolidation of all of their distribution through Image. Profitable Criterion = happy cinephiles.

flyonthewall2983

#48 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:34 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:This is a first for Criterion...an exclusive director's cut of a Best Picture Oscar winner.

I just hope this isn't going to be The Last Emperor Now Redux.
How many Best Picture winners have been Criterionized?

souvenir

#49 Post by souvenir » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:How many Best Picture winners have been Criterionized?
Rebecca, Hamlet, The Silence of the Lambs

Jeff

#50 Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:31 pm

souvenir wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:How many Best Picture winners have been Criterionized?
Rebecca, Hamlet, The Silence of the Lambs
And on laserdisc: All About Eve, Annie Hall, Casablanca, The English Patient, Lawrence of Arabia, Midnight Cowboy, and West Side Story.