Janus Films

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Janus Films

#126 Post by Minkin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Perhaps in response to the above issues, Janus has completely revamped their website - which includes a catalog of their titles! (although it appears they own the rights to more than they have listed on there - like their Hitchcock films aren't listed, along with tons of others that they at least have on Hulu).

They also have a new slate of films touring right now:

Beauty and the Beast (1946)
A Brighter Summer Day
Chimes at Midnight
Dragon Inn
I Knew Her Well
Lady Snowblood (parts 1 & 2)
Late Spring
Story of the Last Chrysanthemum
Touch of Zen

User avatar
Jeff
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Janus Films

#127 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Minkin wrote:it appears they own the rights to more than they have listed on there - like their Hitchcock films aren't listed, along with tons of others that they at least have on Hulu
There may be instances in which they have streaming rights, but not theatrical rights, to some titles.

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Janus Films

#128 Post by Minkin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Jeff wrote:
Minkin wrote:it appears they own the rights to more than they have listed on there - like their Hitchcock films aren't listed, along with tons of others that they at least have on Hulu
There may be instances in which they have streaming rights, but not theatrical rights, to some titles.
I'll double post this (forthcoming post as well - but with more info) - but I figured out whats going on with their listing. Everything they've listed on their Janus page either has a DVD release or was part of a recent Janus tour. So we get the Wenders films, Chaplin, and a few newly confirmed titles, but all of the hundreds of films they have on Hulu aren't listed. I suspect that this was intentionally done in order to keep us from finding out more than they wanted + they probably don't have prints of the rest of the stuff so readily available.

So it isn't as large of a scoop as I thought, but we did learn a few new things + the new website is far superior to the old one. Just don't use the Janus list as a thorough examination of everything that they own :P

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Janus Films

#129 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Mildly interesting is that all of their touring stuff is marked as getting a Blu-ray and DVD except for Dragon Inn and Story of Last Chrysanthemum.

(Keeping in mind that we were hinted the last one in the new years clue this seems likely to just be a mistake)

User avatar
Trees
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: Janus Films

#130 Post by Trees » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:23 am

Minkin wrote:Perhaps in response to the above issues, Janus has completely revamped their website - which includes a catalog of their titles! (although it appears they own the rights to more than they have listed on there - like their Hitchcock films aren't listed, along with tons of others that they at least have on Hulu).

They also have a new slate of films touring right now:

Beauty and the Beast (1946)
A Brighter Summer Day
Chimes at Midnight
Dragon Inn
I Knew Her Well
Lady Snowblood (parts 1 & 2)
Late Spring
Story of the Last Chrysanthemum
Touch of Zen
Sorry if I have missed it, but is there any kind of schedule showing when and where these titles might be currently booked in theaters?

isakborg
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Janus Films

#131 Post by isakborg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:01 am

Could it be that an age-old question is finally being answered, i.e., will an Eclipse release ever be re-issued as an upgraded/blu-ray Criterion? The Janus catalogue lists Ozu's Late Autumn as being held in blu-ray format.

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Janus Films

#132 Post by Minkin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:02 am

Trees wrote:
Minkin wrote:Perhaps in response to the above issues, Janus has completely revamped their website - which includes a catalog of their titles! (although it appears they own the rights to more than they have listed on there - like their Hitchcock films aren't listed, along with tons of others that they at least have on Hulu).

They also have a new slate of films touring right now:

Beauty and the Beast (1946)
A Brighter Summer Day
Chimes at Midnight
Dragon Inn
I Knew Her Well
Lady Snowblood (parts 1 & 2)
Late Spring
Story of the Last Chrysanthemum
Touch of Zen
Sorry if I have missed it, but is there any kind of schedule showing when and where these titles might be currently booked in theaters?
I think this is more of a problem with their new website (which they claim is in "beta" -so that might explain why the entire Janus catalog isn't listed + why other oddities appear). I'd imagine, once they finalize everything on their site - that they will add images for all of the films, and add playdates /locations /etc -once you click on the film's page. Some of the films are already scheduled (Film Forum), thus they should hopefully have all that info added soon. I'm sure they're working on all of this.

User avatar
Adam Grikepelis
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Janus Films

#133 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:34 pm

isakborg wrote:Could it be that an age-old question is finally being answered, i.e., will an Eclipse release ever be re-issued as an upgraded/blu-ray Criterion? The Janus catalogue lists Ozu's Late Autumn as being held in blu-ray format.
Given that this is the Janus Films website, and not Criterion's, I'd imagine this is more likely to suggest that the film is available for exhibition as a Blu-Ray disc. Not that your line of thought wouldn't be welcome .

User avatar
Roscoe
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Janus Films

#134 Post by Roscoe » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:13 am

Interestingly, the Criterion YOUNG AND INNOCENT and DOWNHILL are no longer available on iTunes, it seems, but they are still available on Amazon.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Janus Films

#135 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Janus now has the distribution rights for Blood Simple....

SCHEDULE
April 30, 2016
3:00 p.m.
The Castro Theatre
BUY TICKETS
FILM DETAILS
Language(s): English
Year: 1984
Running time: 99
Director(s): Joel Coen
Producer(s): Ethan Coen
Writer(s): Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cinematographer(s): Barry Sonnenfeld
Editor(s): Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Don Wiegmann
Music: Carter Burwell
With: John Getz, Frances McDormand, Dan Hedaya
Print Source: Janus Films
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Roger Ryan
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: A Midland town spread and darkened into a city

Re: Janus Films

#136 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm

I see that the listed running time is for the original cut, not the revised "Director's Cut" that is currently the only one available on Blu-ray.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Janus Films

#137 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:42 am


User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Janus Films

#138 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 02, 2016 7:15 am


User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Janus Films

#139 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 12, 2016 6:00 am


User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Janus Films

#140 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Bluray.com
Janus Films has announced that the new restoration of Dekalog, Krzysztof Kieślowski's masterwork and one of the twentieth century's greatest achievements in visual storytelling, is heading back to U.S. theaters.

The complete 10-part epic, newly-restored on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of Kieślowski's death, will begin its U.S. theatrical run at the IFC Center in New York on September 2nd, Los Angeles on September 17th at Cinefamily, and will be accompanied by a national roll out to 20+ cities, followed by the Blu-ray release on September 27th.

Originally made for Polish television, Dekalog focuses on the residents of a housing complex in late-Communist Poland, whose lives become subtly intertwined as they face emotional dilemmas that are at once deeply personal and universally human. The series' ten hour-long films draw from the Ten Commandments for thematic inspiration and an overarching structure, and grapple deftly with complex moral and existential questions concerning life, death, love, hate, truth, and the passage of time. Shot by nine different cinematographers, written alongside longtime collaborator Krzysztof Piesiewicz, with stirring music by Zbigniew Preisner and compelling performances from established and unknown actors alike, Dekalog arrestingly explores the unknowable forces that shape our lives.

This new digital transfer of Dekalog was sourced from the 35mm original camera negatives provided by Telewizja Polska and stored at Filmoteka Narodow. When possible, the restoration of each episode was supervised and approved by its respective cinematographer.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Janus Films

#141 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:02 am


User avatar
Totoro
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Janus Films

#142 Post by Totoro » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:16 pm

Upon a recent perusal of the new Janus Films site, Wong Kar Wai's name can be found (listed as Kar-Wai, Wong) in the filter filmmakers section of the search fucntion. At least publicly, Janus doesn't hold the rights to any of Wong's films. I'm unsure if this is a single fluke or could be the new Janus site's equivalent to the phantom pages, but interesting nonetheless.

User avatar
The Fanciful Norwegian
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:24 pm
Location: Teegeeack

Re: Janus Films

#143 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 pm

It's not a phantom entry—it looks like Janus handles In the Mood for Love, though apparently they don't have any DCPs or 35mm prints, so you're stuck screening a DVD or a Blu.

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Janus Films

#144 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Since they now have In the Mood for Love, It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Janus has most, if not all of Wong Kar-Wai's previous films.

eastguy
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Janus Films

#145 Post by eastguy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Seems likely, with all the Kino titles now out of print. Days of Being Wild is my most wanted from that batch. Even better, Criterion could get 2046 from Sony and release both with In the Mood for Love, as a trilogy similar to the recent Stillman and Gregory/Shawn sets.

User avatar
Jeff
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Janus Films

#146 Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 pm

The new restoration of L'argent opens at Film Forum November 11.

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: Janus Films

#147 Post by Big Ben » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Fantastic news! I won't be seeing in theaters but I'll sure as hell be picking up the Blu-Ray to replace my old Artificial Eye DVD. Does anyone know the status of Lancelot du Lac by the way?

User avatar
Totoro
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Janus Films

#148 Post by Totoro » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:30 am

While it's wise to never safe to assume social media postings from Criterion/Janus mean anything, the Janus Films Twitter account just sent out a tweet for the encore screening of "Happy Together" at The Metrograph this Saturday evening. Did anyone who was lucky enough to have attended the first screening notice if a Janus Films logo was attached to the 35 mm print?

User avatar
headacheboy
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:57 pm

Re: Janus Films

#149 Post by headacheboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I was recently checking out info on Concrete Nights (d. Pirjo Honkasalo) on Altered Innocence's web page. I was looking at what other films they have to offer when I discovered this logo on the page for the short film Doors Cut Down (d. Antonio Hens). Do you suppose Janus Films is aware of this?

Image

User avatar
carmilla mircalla
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: Janus Films

#150 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 am

headacheboy wrote:I was recently checking out info on Concrete Nights (d. Pirjo Honkasalo) on Altered Innocence's web page. I was looking at what other films they have to offer when I discovered this logo on the page for the short film Doors Cut Down (d. Antonio Hens). Do you suppose Janus Films is aware of this?

Image
that is hilarious

Post Reply