Podcast Interview with Criterion producer Susan Arosteguy

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
souvenir

#1 Post by souvenir » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:28 pm

rayce33 wrote:Greetings --

I wanted to alert you to a recent podcast we conducted for my show MOVIE GEEKS UNITED! paying tribute to the DVD format on its tenth year anniversary. Myself and my two co-hosts discussed the topic at length between ourselves and our special guests, who included:

Susan Arosteguy, producer on staff at The Criterion Collection, who has overseen the discs for all the Wes Anderson titles, plus great classics like Se7en, Notorious, Sisters and the upcoming Two Lane Blacktop. This segment acted as a rare glimpse into the secretive walls of this beloved company. She even shared insights into the new BOTTLE ROCKET DVD release!

Mike Snider, entertainment reporter for USA Today, spoke of the format wars between HD DVD and Blue Ray and much more.

Here is the link to the broadcast if you wish to post it on your websites. It should be of high interest for your loyal readers!

2 hour tribute to the DVD format
Here's an editorialized description - a couple of guys geek out over Criterion in front of a producer. It reminded me of Chris Farley's SNL sketch where he had his own talk show. The Two-Lane Blacktop portion was about it regarding any real "news" (or "rumors").

Andre Jurieu

#2 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:02 pm

souvenir wrote:Here's an editorialized description - a couple of guys geek out over Criterion in front of a producer. It reminded me of Chris Farley's SNL sketch where he had his own talk show.
Then I believe this is the transcript that Matt wanted:
Chris Farley: Um, hi. Welcome to The Chris Farley Show. I'm... Chris Farley... and, my guest tonight is... one of the... greatest producers... uh, video producers. I guess, DVD producer, ever. [Smacks himself] GOD! That sounds stupid! God, I'm an idiot! I never know how to start these things!

Susan Arosteguy: You're doing great, Chris.

Chris Farley: [hopeful] Really? No, I'm not. [hyperventilating] Anyway... I guess... I didn't have, have to say, who you were, because... man, I mean... everyone knows who you are. Mmm... you're Susan Arosteguy.

Susan Arosteguy: Well, it's great to be here.

Chris Farley: [uncomfortable] You... you... you remember when you were with The Criterion Collection?

Susan Arosteguy: Yeah, sure.

Chris Farley: That was awesome!

Susan Arosteguy: Yeah, it was.

Chris Farley: O-kay... Oh! You... you remember when you went to Paris.. and, uh, and at the airport they arrested you 'cause you had some stolen footage of Renoir, and... it made all the papers, and everything..?

Susan Arosteguy: Well, to be honest, Chris, I'd kind of like to forget all of that.

Chris Farley: [smacks himself harder] IDIOT!!! That's so stupid! What a dumb question!!!

Susan Arosteguy: No, no, no, Chris. I get asked that all the time in interviews. Maria Shriver asked the same question last week.

Chris Farley: Really? [pause] Did you know that she's married to Arnold Schwartzenegger?

Susan Arosteguy: Yeah. I've heard that.

Chris Farley: Did you see Terminator?

Susan Arosteguy: No, I missed that one.

Chris Farley: That was a pretty awesome flick. [pause] O-kay... remember... you remember when you were with The Criterion Collection, and you were supposed to be releasing more Naruse, and, uh, there was all these clues, that, like, uh, you found some easter eggs on some DVDs, and it'd say, like, "Susan Is Producing a Naruse Boxset", and, uh, everyone thought that you were producing the Naruse boxset? That was, um, a hoax, right?

Susan Arosteguy: Yeah. I wasn't really going to produce the Naruse boxset.

Chris Farley: Right. I think we... I think we got time for one more question. Uh... remember when you worked at The Criterion Collection? And, um, you did that laserdisc for Seven, and at the very end of the movie, it would... the movie goes, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for"? You... you remember that?

Susan Arosteguy: Yes.

Chris Farley: Uh... is that true?

Susan Arosteguy: Yes, Chris. In my experience, it is. I find, the more you fight to improve the world, the better it becomes.

Chris Farley [ecstatic, starts to point at Susan and mouth "AWESOME!"] Well, that's it for this week's show. Thank you, Susan Arosteguy, thank you, for being one of the greatest... of movies... I mean, a living legend. And uh, a legend of DVD production... and... just thanks for being on the show, and... [smacks himself even harder] GOD DANGIT! That sounded stupid! I knew I'd screw up!

Susan Arosteguy: You did fine, you did fine, Chris.

Chris Farley: Really? Thanks, man. Thanks. Thank you. [Outro music comes on, Chris continues to talk to Susan] Remember... remember when I was talking to you about The Terminator? You... you should see that movie, it's pretty cool...

[Susan nods her head]

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Hey Andre...remember when you did that great parody of both this podcast and "The Chris Farley Show?" That was awesome!

denti alligator

#4 Post by denti alligator » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Andre, that was way better than the actual interview, which was kinds embarrassing, don't you think?

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:03 pm

Did they record this podcast on the Fisher-Price cassette recorder I had when I was 9?

Luke M

#6 Post by Luke M » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Great post Andre, that was really good.

CSM126

#7 Post by CSM126 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Matt wrote:Did they record this podcast on the Fisher-Price cassette recorder I had when I was 9?
I'm pretty sure BlogTalk Radio involves recording your shows over the phone instead of with a real mic. I've heard more than one podcast hosted there that had shitty sound quality.

LightBulbFilm

#8 Post by LightBulbFilm » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Ouch, guys. A little harsh, ey? If any of you had a Criterion producer on the line I'm positive the first thing that would come out of your mouth would be: "So are there any plans to release [Enter early Kurosawa film here] any time soon?"

Everyone on this forum would geek out to an extent.

But it was a show hailing the 10th anniversary of the DVD and a company that heads it as one of the best companies.