Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

#351 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:57 pm

Huston's The Dead
Coming from Criterion according to Turrell.

justeleblanc

#352 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:
Huston's The Dead
source via email?

Jeff

#353 Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:
Huston's The Dead
This is the first I'm hearing of the Turrell confirmation. Has it been discussed other than its mention in the forthcoming thread? If It really does come to pass, here's hoping it includes John Huston and the Dubliners, a commentary by Huston scholar Lesley Brill, and a copy of the story.

Cinephrenic

#354 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Oh sorry, it was mentioned by a member of from a personal email he got and pm'd me about it as I posted it on the forthcoming list. It was mentioned along with, La Haine, Army of Shadows, Zazie for 2007 releases. Please note that Jon Turrell said "obviously, things do change" in regards to plans.

Narshty

#355 Post by Narshty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Wow. Just imagine if they manage to get Wise Blood from New Line and do a boxset of Huston's late career literary adaptations.

justeleblanc

#356 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:32 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Oh sorry, it was mentioned by a member of from a personal email he got and pm'd me about it as I posted it on the forthcoming list. It was mentioned along with, La Haine, Army of Shadows, Zazie for 2007 releases. Please note that Jon Turrell said "obviously, things do change" in regards to plans.
Zazie would be great. Maybe they have yet another Malle box forthcoming.

miless

#357 Post by miless » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:52 am

justeleblanc wrote:Zazie would be great. Maybe they have yet another Malle box forthcoming.
accompanied by "My Dinner With Andre" (which Criterion owns the rights to, apparently)

Mental Mike

#358 Post by Mental Mike » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:21 am

O.K. you guys make a point, but my problem with The Dead stems from the fact that Joyce expanded on this short story for his later work which gets a little repetitive...He rehashes talk of Parnell and Irish politics in the dinner discussion in Portrait which I find is the worst part of that novel although I enjoyed most of the other parts...and The Dead is revisited in Ulysses, underlying Bloom and Molly's relationship and the third party again who casts his shadow (Stephen or Boylan)....and again in Finnegan's Wake where Anna Livia morphs into the sea to be linked to her Father's consciousness, yet again another woman swooning over an old dead white male...I've had enough...to go back and read or watch The Dead again is to regress...I read Joyce for his gorgeous use of language, which may be better than any other English writer (maybe in a group with Shakespeare and Milton)...but I do not like his characters so much...Stephen Dedalus and Poldy are not as triumphantly drawn as Hamlet or Odysseus...but in Joyce the language is so corpulent and changing and evolving that it is his best character..

Cinephrenic

#359 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:46 pm

From a PM to me:
According to a friend, in correspondence with staff at UCSC, "Criterion has been negotiating with UCSC to acquire several Satyajit Ray films."
The email specifically said that "things are moving slowly," but some more title-specific announcement may be forthcoming later on in 2007.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#360 Post by Tribe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 pm

With This Sporting Life long on the rumoured backburner and If... now in the mix...is there another likely candidate for a Lindsay Anderson box set?

Tribe

EDIT: I'm unaware of Look Back In Anger having been released on DVD.

tryavna

#361 Post by tryavna » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:41 pm

Tribe wrote:With This Sporting Life long on the rumoured backburner and If... now in the mix...is there another likely candidate for a Lindsay Anderson box set?

EDIT: I'm unaware of Look Back In Anger having been released on DVD.
There are also quite a few documentaries and shorts from his early days that weren't part of the Free Cinema movement. (And thus aren't on the BFI Free Cinema boxset.)

zedz

#362 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:34 pm

Tribe wrote:With This Sporting Life long on the rumoured backburner and If... now in the mix...is there another likely candidate for a Lindsay Anderson box set?
I can't imagine anybody's clinging too tightly to The White Bus, or John Fletcher's equally good making-of, About the White Bus. With those and The Singing Lesson (If that's what it's called), I think you'd have his entire 60s output, a pretty solid hook for a boxed set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#363 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:21 pm

miless wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:Zazie would be great. Maybe they have yet another Malle box forthcoming.
accompanied by "My Dinner With Andre" (which Criterion owns the rights to, apparently)
my two favorite Malles together at once would make my head spin

Narshty

#364 Post by Narshty » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:54 am

OK, so they've got Charles Burnett on board to write for both Bicycle Thieves and the Paul Robeson boxset, so could they be working on a project with him? Is To Sleep With Anger a possibility (but presumably only if Sony's distribution rights have now lapsed)? I'd welcome that in a heartbeat.

Tribe

#365 Post by Tribe » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:26 pm

Probably devoting way too much thought to this, but I could see a release of If... and Vigo's Zero For Conduct...

Tribe

Cinephrenic

#366 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:03 pm

OK, so they've got Charles Burnett on board to write for both Bicycle Thieves and the Paul Robeson boxset, so could they be working on a project with him? Is To Sleep With Anger a possibility (but presumably only if Sony's distribution rights have now lapsed)? I'd welcome that in a heartbeat.
Probably Killer of Sheep and the short The Horse

starmanof51

#367 Post by starmanof51 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:15 pm

I thought Milestone had pretty clearly staked out Killer of Sheep.

Narshty

#368 Post by Narshty » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:29 pm

Indeed - hence my suggestion of To Sleep with Anger.

LightBulbFilm

#369 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:07 pm

I have this feelin Permanent Vacation may be on it's way. I know there was no mention of it on the site along with Night on Earth, but when I e-mailed Turell several months ago about Jarmusch titles with the question "Are any Jarmusch titles coming out, I know Night on Earth and Permanent Vacation have no DVD releases and Stranger Than Paradise is in dire need of a new release?" he replied: "Only things we presently have rights to on your list are some Jarmusch titles which are probably coming next year." So this is definitely something to look forward to... I can see them releasing multiple Jarmusch titles back to back, they seem to favor it when they can do it.

I am going to e-mail him and ask him what the details on She's Gotta Have It are though. It's been awhile and the obvious "Ten Year Anniversary Edition" oppurtunity has already passed, so things aren't looking too good for this great film.

We will see, so far it's looking like a great year.

Tribe

#370 Post by Tribe » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:12 pm

Now that the People's Whore has passed, any chance we'll see a two-disc version of To the Limit?

Tribe

CSM126

#371 Post by CSM126 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:01 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:I am going to e-mail him and ask him what the details on She's Gotta Have It are though. It's been awhile and the obvious "Ten Year Anniversary Edition" oppurtunity has already passed, so things aren't looking too good for this great film.
The chance for a "Ten Year Anniversary" edition passed in 1996, so it hardly seems fair to criticize Criterion for not having a DVD of the film out by then...

justeleblanc

#372 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:23 pm

CSM126 wrote:
LightBulbFilm wrote:I am going to e-mail him and ask him what the details on She's Gotta Have It are though. It's been awhile and the obvious "Ten Year Anniversary Edition" oppurtunity has already passed, so things aren't looking too good for this great film.
The chance for a "Ten Year Anniversary" edition passed in 1996, so it hardly seems fair to criticize Criterion for not having a DVD of the film out by then...
LightBulb clearly meant 30th anniversary.

LightBulbFilm

#373 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:49 pm

CSM126 wrote:
Sorry, I meant 20th Anniversary. I don't know why I was thinking ten.

dadaistnun

#374 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 am

Got this response regarding Decalogue:
Jonathan Turell forwarded your note to me.

As much as we'd love to release the DECALOGUE on Criterion, we don't currently own the rights. We are looking into this, though, so perhaps things will change in the next year or so.

Thanks for your interest and have a happy holiday.

Warm regards,
Kim Hendrickson
Executive Producer

jbeall

#375 Post by jbeall » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 pm

dadaistnun wrote:Got this response regarding Decalogue:
Jonathan Turell forwarded your note to me.

As much as we'd love to release the DECALOGUE on Criterion, we don't currently own the rights. We are looking into this, though, so perhaps things will change in the next year or so.

Thanks for your interest and have a happy holiday.

Warm regards,
Kim Hendrickson
Executive Producer
If only!! I just finished watching the Facets' Decalogue, and while it's far above their usual standards, there's still a lot of unsubtitled dialogue and the extras aren't really that interesting. Call Annette Innsdorf to do the commentary on a criterion version, and this is a must-buy.

While I'm thinking of it, I just saw Jacques Feyder's Kermesse Heroique last night. What a fun movie!! I should suggest it to Mulvaney or something...