Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Tommaso

#76 Post by Tommaso » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:52 am

justeleblanc wrote:I seem to remember this as the "off the hook" thread where people were guessing about which Ozu or Godard would next be released. Has everyone calmed down, or has the inconsistant release schedule of Criterion caused the average poster to be apathetic.
I guess most of us expect more from Masters of Cinema at the moment. I mean, it's them that are releasing all the things everyone has been craving for from Criterion for ages: Naruse, Mizoguchi, Shindo, Murnau.... Instead Criterion releases films about a talking gorilla. Nothing against Koko, but this is surely not the very first film one would think of releasing when there's still so much missing. I only say: Bergman's "Face to Face", which would be such an OBVIOUS choice regarding their catalogue, or finally some good edition of Greenaway's features from the 1990s (all of which are only available in dubious to downright atrocious transfers, if at all). And they do not even seem to THINK of Rivette (for example the full-length version of "Jeanne la Pucelle", not to speak of "Duelle", "Noroit" or "OUT1"), but instead do Rohmer and Malle, most of which films are also easily available in Europe at least.

It's nice to see them do "Pandora's box", of course, but well: this is the only Pabst silent available easily in the English-speaking world with original German titles already (from Second Sight, UK).

So, the lack of speculation only reflects the lack of response from Criterion.

Le Samouraï

#77 Post by Le Samouraï » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:59 am

Nadsat wrote:Any chance that Polanskis "Repulsion" will appear on Criterion?
I was thinking the same last day after watching "Knife in the Water". Or Cul-de-sac?

GringoTex

#78 Post by GringoTex » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 am

Tommaso wrote:I guess most of us expect more from Masters of Cinema at the moment. I mean, it's them that are releasing all the things everyone has been craving for from Criterion for ages: Naruse, Mizoguchi, Shindo, Murnau.... Instead Criterion releases films about a talking gorilla.
Forbidden Games Clément, René France 1952 318

The Bad Sleep Well Kurosawa, Akira Japan 1960 319

Young Mr. Lincoln Ford, John USA 1939 320

The Virgin Spring Bergman, Ingmar Sweden 1960 321

The Complete Mr. Arkadin Welles, Orson USA 1955 322

The Children Are Watching Us De Sica, Vittorio Italy 1944 323

La bête humaine Renoir, Jean France 1938 324

Kind Hearts & Coronets Hamer, Robert UK 1949 325

3 Films by Louis Malle
Box Set Malle, Louis France 327

Murmur of the Heart Malle, Louis France 1971 328

Lacombe Lucien Malle, Louis France 1974 329

Au revoir les enfants Malle, Louis France 1987 330

Late Spring Ozu, Yasujiro Japan 1949 331

Viridiana Buñuel, Luis Mexico/Spain 1961 332

Fists in the Pocket Bellocchio, Marco Italy 1965 333

Elevator to the Gallows Malle, Louis France 1957 335

À nos amours Pialat, Maurice France 1983 337

Yi Yi Yang, Edward Taiwan 2000 339

A Canterbury Tale Emeric Pressburger, Michael Powell UK 1944 341

Six Moral Tales
Box Set Rohmer, Eric France () 342

The Bakery Girl of Monceau Rohmer, Eric France 1963 343

Suzanne's Career Rohmer, Eric France 1963 344

My Night at Maud's Rohmer, Eric France 1969 345

La Collectionneuse Rohmer, Eric France 1967 346

Claire's Knee Rohmer, Eric France 1970 347

Love in the Afternoon Rohmer, Eric France 1972 348

Seduced and Abandoned Germi, Pietro Italy 1964 350

The Spirit of the Beehive Erice, Víctor Spain 1973 351

Jigoku Nakagawa, Nobuo Japan 1960 352

Sólo con tu pareja Cuaron, Alfonso Mexico 1991 353

Clean, Shaven Kerrigan, Lodge USA 1994 354

Hands over the City Rosi, Francesco Italy 1963 355

Sweetie Campion, Jane Australia 1989 356

The Fallen Idol Reed, Carol UK 1948 357

Pandora's Box Pabst, Georg Wilhelm Germany 1929 358

The Double Life of Véronique Kieslowski, Krzysztof Poland 1991 359

toiletduck!

#79 Post by toiletduck! » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:43 am

A valiant effort, Langlois, but we might as well face it... the highest echelon of the Criterion Firing Range has added a new member: Neame, Bay, Koko.

-Toilet Dcuk

justeleblanc

#80 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:31 am

Le Samouraï wrote:
Nadsat wrote:Any chance that Polanskis "Repulsion" will appear on Criterion?
I was thinking the same last day after watching "Knife in the Water". Or Cul-de-sac?
Repulsion is getting a Sony Classics rerelease.... as read on film forum.

Tommaso

#81 Post by Tommaso » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 am

Doesn't this list nicely illustrate what I stated?
Just a few examples from the list that concern films I'm personally (and that of course is totally subjective) interested in:

The Bad Sleep Well Kurosawa, Akira Japan 1960 319

available from the BFI

The Virgin Spring Bergman, Ingmar Sweden 1960 321

available from Tartan

La bête humaine Renoir, Jean France 1938 324

available from Studio Canal and other distributors

Kind Hearts & Coronets Hamer, Robert UK 1949 325

available from Anchor Bay

3 Films by Louis Malle
Box Set Malle, Louis France 327

all available in Europe

A Canterbury Tale Emeric Pressburger, Michael Powell UK 1944 341

available from Carlton

Six Moral Tales
Box Set Rohmer, Eric France () 342

available for the most part (not sure on this one) in Europe

The Spirit of the Beehive Erice, Víctor Spain 1973 351

available in the UK

Pandora's Box Pabst, Georg Wilhelm Germany 1929 358

available from Second Sight and from Gaumont

The Double Life of Véronique Kieslowski, Krzysztof Poland 1991 359[/quote]

many, many previous editions

Don't get me wrong: these Criterions are probably in any case far superior to these former editions, but I would wish for them to release films that are great (some of which I mentioned) and that are NOT already available in acceptable versions, or even not at all.
So instead of "Virgin Spring", why not "Face to face" or some of Bergman's late Swedish TV productions? And I say that although I think Criterion's version of "Spring" is incredibly great).
Same goes for "Canterbury Tale" (probably this year's greatest release from them): why not "Pimpernel", "Rosalinda", "Age of Consent" or "Bluebeard"?
Why "The Bad sleep well" instead of "Sanjiro Sugato" or "Dodeskaden"? Why no PARADJANOV, nowhere in the whole collection??! Why no "Phantom Carriage" or "Vampyr"? I appreciate their efforts, but still I expect MoC will rather close some of these blatant gaps earlier (and I DO complain that MoC releases Lang's "Woman in the moon" rather than finally giving us an acceptable version of "Der müde Tod/Destiny").

Oh, and I forgot: ROSSELLINI !
Last edited by Tommaso on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Samouraï

#82 Post by Le Samouraï » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:03 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Repulsion is getting a Sony Classics rerelease.... as read on film forum.
Thanks. Will be looking forward to that.

toiletduck!

#83 Post by toiletduck! » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:28 pm

To be fair, Tommaso, MoC is no better than Criterion on that basis. Sure, they've got a couple of high profile releases coming in Naruse, Mizoguchi, and Funeral Parade of Roses, but go down the list and count the number of announced MoC releases that were/are already available in acceptable (sometimes even Criterion) form, and you'll end up with pretty much the same conclusion.

-Toilet Dcuk

Doctor Sunshine

#84 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:45 pm

Not to mention that if you go over here you'll find they do have a number of the titles you've just mentioned in the in the pipeline, and have had them there for many years--not out of spite or monkey favouritism though, I think.

Rupert Pupkin

#85 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:04 am

Le Samouraï wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:Repulsion is getting a Sony Classics rerelease.... as read on film forum.
Thanks. Will be looking forward to that.
oh yes ???!!! could you please tell me on which thread I could find this info about a DVD re-release by Sony of Polanski's Repulsion.
The only thread I knew about Repulsion on this forum was about a theatrical re-release of a restored copy of Repulsion. They weren't talking about a DVD release for the moment.
By the way, on yesasia.com there is a Polanski box set featuring Repulsion (and Cul de Sac). It came out last year, but I never got an answer about if this was a new print of Repulsion, or old transfers..

rwaits

#86 Post by rwaits » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:44 am

I'd be VERY interested in more info on this as well, as this is news to me and I've been pestering just about everyone for a rerelease of this film for years! Probably my favorite Polanski, and that's saying something.

HerrSchreck

#87 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:08 am

Without comparing them to another label, I do believe Tom has a bit of a point, in that CC used to have a far higher percentage of DVD premieres versus "definitive editions of already-available films". EYES WITHOUT A FACE type releases where a great, previously unavailable title that people simply dreamed of having, even in a so-so edition, suddenly is announced by CC and simply blows the minds of people in the know. You know what I mean-- dream come true territory. Everybody must have their own personal favorites in the Collection which caused them to levitate or poop their dry goods in pure ecstacy when announced as forthcoming. JOAN OF ARC or ORDET, Renoirs, so many others. That's what made CC such a kickass, too-good-to-be-true company. That talent for double-whammying cineastes like that (joyful whammy one: the fact that a favorite film is getting the tiptop premium treatment, joyful whammy two: the fact that the film was previously unavailable anyplace else at time of announcement/release) has certainly decreased in it's CC appearances.

With no slight to Nick at all, and nothing but admiration for his operation, I actually see MoC as releasing a lot of material already out, closely observing previous editions of the same restorations very carefully as to performance. Murnau, Welles, Rosselini, Maysles, Pabst, Lang... many of these resto's are already out in CC's or Kinos, and the releases simply service the PAL/R2 region with no new actual telecine. On the front of silents, rather than see him do already released restorations of PHANTOM or FRAU IM MOND, or TAGEBUCH, I'd rather see him hit some unreleased silents, as his catalog in that zone is very conventional. I'd love to see him open some new ground and do some silent premeires-- Weine's RASKALNIKOV or ORLAC, Mayer/Pick kammerspiels, Grune's STRASSE, or, Gerhard Lamprecht, or Gremillion, or Epstein, or Kirsanoff, instead of DIARY OF A LOST GIRL who's restoration has seen the light of day on both sides of the pond already why not WESTFRONT or KAMERADSCHAFT?... and instead of announcing PHANTOM within 24 hrs of wobbly Flicker Alley miraculously staggering it's fine disc out there gutsily giving the film it's premeire on disc, why not CITY GIRL or BRENNENDER ACKER or GANG IN DER NACHT? There is so much fertile, open ground, going over the same old Lang & Murnau's is tiresome. Which is why, preconverted or not, I love Kino & Milestone for rummaging up the nuts to push out SCHATTEN, Stiller, Paul Leni, et al.

Tommaso

#88 Post by Tommaso » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:54 am

Schreck and Toilet Dcuk,

I agree with both of you, and of course my recent posts on the matter were made in a little sort of provocative manner in order to state something that has engaging (and partly enraging) me for quite a while now. Of course MoC has/will release a lot of films already out at least in some form, but for me it's great to see the way they treat their silents, for example (original intertitles et al., and no, I don't want to start that discussion again, just stating one of the reasons why I admire that company so much). MoC also of course have the advantage of having come later to the market, and so some of their releases are definitely better than the respective Criterions (think of "Onibaba", not to mention the full length and correctly coloured "Kwaidan" - WHAT a release), whereas some earlier Criterions (which I only bought rather recently) sometimes unanimously praised here and in other places are just plain disappointments: "Autumn Sonata", "Black Narcissus", "Peeping Tom", "Colonel Blimp", all seriously having the colours wrong. My rant also had to do less with blaming Criterion for their faults - these are all early releases - but perhaps with the sometimes unqualified admiration the company sometimes seems to get for everything they do. Only the window-boxing issue seems to have caused some stir here....
HerrSchreck wrote: That's what made CC such a kickass, too-good-to-be-true company. That talent for double-whammying cineastes like that (joyful whammy one: the fact that a favorite film is getting the tiptop premium treatment, joyful whammy two: the fact that the film was previously unavailable anyplace else at time of announcement/release) has certainly decreased in it's CC appearances.
This is exactly what I was aiming at. I mean, with the films I mentioned ("Face to Face", Rossellini, Paradjanov in particular) most of us would even be glad if at least SOMEBODY released them in an acceptable manner. I would gladly buy a barebones dvd of these, no need necessarily for the royal treatment, but then I still think these would be obvious choices for CC.
HerrSchreck wrote:With no slight to Nick at all, and nothing but admiration for his operation, I actually see MoC as releasing a lot of material already out, closely observing previous editions of the same restorations very carefully as to performance. Murnau, Welles, Rosselini, Maysles, Pabst, Lang... many of these resto's are already out in CC's or Kinos, and the releases simply service the PAL/R2 region with no new actual telecine.
Are you sure about that in the case of Murnau and Lang? I think we can be sure of new transfers/restos in the case of "Nosferatu", "Tabu" and "Nibelungen" at least. I'm not quite sure whether MoC's or CC's "Francesco" came out earlier, too.
HerrSchreck wrote:On the front of silents, rather than see him do already released restorations of PHANTOM or FRAU IM MOND, or TAGEBUCH, I'd rather see him hit some unreleased silents, as his catalog in that zone is very conventional.
Much in agreement, of course, but here I again must state that MoC's will be closer to 'definite' not just for the intertitle question, but also probably for the simple quality of booklets and other details (their "Michael" having the German resto in addition, for example, or consider all the extras on "Faust"). These may be minor points to many, but one of the great things about MoC is that you can pretty much buy their releases blindly and can be sure that in all likelihood you won't find any better release anywhere in the world (even if there may be some minor flaws still).
HerrSchreck wrote:and instead of announcing PHANTOM within 24 hrs of wobbly Flicker Alley miraculously staggering it's fine disc out there gutsily giving the film it's premeire on disc, why not CITY GIRL or BRENNENDER ACKER or GANG IN DER NACHT?
Also true, but this is a good example of MoC or at least Nick actually LISTENING and responding to things brought up here. "Phantom" is not officially announced yet, but Nick gave that info when I brought up my displeasure about the replaced titles in the flickeralley. In this case he managed to save me some money, as I would definitely have bought the flickeralley first without that info and then would have had to buy it again a year later or so. Agreedly, it's unfair to flickeralley considering all their efforts, but still.....
Even more importantly (for me), he confirmed the release of the Mizoguchis which I would otherwise have bought in these French releases. Likewise, he clearly stated that they have no intention of releasing "Der müde Tod", which is truly sad, but at least we know what to expect and what not. CC has us all dangling in the air, speculating and speculating, hoping and hoping even for years (I only say: Eisenstein silent years), and then nothing comes or some things come that are totally unexpected. And well, Mizoguchi has been mentioned in this random speculation thread over and over again, without enticing any response from CC, whereas MoC might have listened to what people are hoping for and -at least in this, and I might say, very important case- brought it out. That's why I keep mentioning Paradjanov again and again in this forum with the (perhaps idle) hope that someone finally picks up on it. So keep on mentioning films that NEED to be released, perhaps someone will listen (not necessarily CC, though)!

So, in addition to the films Schreck mentioned (wholeheartedly supported), I must again plea for Hanns Schwarz' "Wonderful Lie of Nina Petrowna" (1928) with the most glorious performance Brigitte Helm ever delivered. Would be more of a MoC release rather than a CC, in all likelihood :-)

HerrSchreck

#89 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:39 am

Positions well understood.. Tom I admire your energy for dvd discussions i e dvd extras, intertitles etc.. and the obviously deep feelings you have about them causing your loyalty-- but I think MoC have a long way to go in the premiering dept before they can stake a claim to the CC legend. It's been a very tentative year for MoC (with some nice promises for new restos of very well known endlessly seen films), I find a lot of Moc disc images a bit overrated in the CC comparisons. Some like TONI & ASPHALT & FACE OF ANOTHER look like "excellent analog" to me.

Tommaso

#90 Post by Tommaso » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:27 am

HerrSchreck wrote: I find a lot of Moc disc images a bit overrated in the CC comparisons. Some like TONI & ASPHALT & FACE OF ANOTHER look like "excellent analog" to me.
Ah, of these I have only seen "Asphalt" yet (the other ones are on my perpetually expanding wish list, of course, with the Renoir being rather close to the front at the moment), and I do agree on it. There is perhaps a sort of analog-looking grain to it, but it never really disturbed me. As a whole, I found it very pleasant to the eye (and I was so happy they brought it out in the first place). But transfers I had in mind were rather things like "Holy Mountain" and especially "The Naked Island", the latter being the most glorious and cinematic looking older film I ever saw on dvd.
I was also rather pleased with their "Idiot", despite some clear flaws in the source materials. I can't imagine CC would have done this one better, especially regarding some of their less than perfect Kurosawas: only their "Rashomon" blew me away, the rest of their 50s Kurosawa was much of a mixed bag: "yoyimbo" and "Sanjuro" have already garnered their deserved criticism here, but I don't think that "Throne of Blood" or "Hidden Fortress" are perfect either (all praise, however, to "Kagemusha" and "Ran").. I haven't seen the new "Seven Samurai", though, although I've been seriously contemplating to buy it. But I made up my mind to spend the 50$ rather on films I do not yet have, apart from the fact that the stack of unwatched dvds keeps getting higher and higher here at Casa Tommaso...

justeleblanc

#91 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:41 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:By the way, on yesasia.com there is a Polanski box set featuring Repulsion (and Cul de Sac). It came out last year, but I never got an answer about if this was a new print of Repulsion, or old transfers..
Poopkin, Sony Pictures Classics is re-releasing it in theaters, which meant that my guess is they at least hold the rights and wouldn't lend it to Criterion. I know nothing of a DVD release from them, though I assume it would be similar to what they did for THE PASSENGER.

tryavna

#92 Post by tryavna » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:11 pm

Tommaso wrote:whereas some earlier Criterions (which I only bought rather recently) sometimes unanimously praised here and in other places are just plain disappointments: "Autumn Sonata", "Black Narcissus", "Peeping Tom", "Colonel Blimp", all seriously having the colours wrong.
Tommaso, I've heard -- and mostly agree with -- the complaints on Narcissus, Autumn Sonata, and Tom, but I don't think I've heard people talk about Blimp being disappointing in the same way. (It's a later release than the others, for one thing.) Can you elucidate?

Tommaso

#93 Post by Tommaso » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Well, in my view it's on a par with "Autumn Sonata" and "Peeping Tom" as far as reddish skin tones are concerned (perhaps slightly less bad). I wondered why this is so regarding it is a relatively late release. I assume that in all these cases they simply put their old laserdisc transfers to disc without doing any corrections or further improvement. I too was surprised that nobody had complained about this before, the beaver review stated that it looked different from the Carlton (which I haven't seen) and that it was basically a matter of taste which one you prefer. Well, but looking at the screen caps there (AFTER I had bought the Criterion, regrettably), the Carlton seems to be far more natural. Same goes for the glorious re-release of "Narcissus" by Granada pictures, miles ahead of the Criterion (the same transfer as the French 2DVD, apparently). Curiously enough I like the colours on CC's "Red Shoes" enormously although they also have a red tinge, but in this case it seems much more intentional and the fact that Cardiff controlled the transfer makes it authoritative. Regarding the fact that the Carlton has most of Criterion's extras for "Blimp", I would try this one if I hadn't got the film yet.

Regarding the fact that Criterion have started re-releasing some of their older releases, their old Powells and Bergmans should be first choice for doing them again.

John Cope

#94 Post by John Cope » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:18 pm

adnankhan wrote:"Track 29" and "Insignificance" have yet to show on DVD so it would do Criterion right to pick 'em up (if they can).
Track 29 is superb and I would love to see it well represented on disc but I'm not holding my breath. As for Insignificance, I own a copy of the Artisan release which is cropped and therefore lacking but at least it is available.

Also, I agree with Tommaso on Greenaway and Rivette--personally, I still can't believe we have no decent version of Baby of Macon, which is Greenaway's masterpiece. It is profoundly effective and I can thus understand why potential distributors would be skittish about it but come on. And what about Prospero's Books? Its absence is patently absurd. My God, that would be a beautiful film to see transferred properly.
As to Rivette, any of the mentioned titles would be welcomed with open arms.

And, of course, I would like nothing more than to see Oliveira represented just once by Criterion--and if they're going to ever do it please let it be Satin Slipper.

Tommaso

#95 Post by Tommaso » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:14 am

John Cope wrote:personally, I still can't believe we have no decent version of Baby of Macon, which is Greenaway's masterpiece. It is profoundly effective and I can thus understand why potential distributors would be skittish about it but come on.
I wouldn't necessarily call it his masterpiece, as it has some lengths and the whole idea of theatrical/film performance vs so-called reality and the mingling of the two is neither new nor has it been treated in an overly subtle manner here. In this respect, "Prospero" is superior, too (and of course the Shakespeare text makes a much better basis than the medieval mystery play approach that informs "Macon"). But considering the deeply unsettling effect of "Macon" and its uniqueness of style, I really wonder why the film has not attracted a deep and devoted cult following (or perhaps, if it has, none of the cultists are in any dvd company). In other words, if one can release Jodorowsky's "Holy Mountain" or Jarman's "Jubilee", "Macon" should be an obvious choice, too.

The Rivette situation is almost as deplorable. The few films available are the same around the world, and the absence of "Jeanne" in its original version is really unforgivable. The film, admittedly, was a big commercial failure even in France, but that might also be due to its length ( but it could be much easier digested in a home viewing session) and it being somewhat different in style and scope to most of his other films ("Wuthering Heights" is another such departure, but on a much smaller level). But Sandrine Bonnaire is such a marvel in the title role, and the performances and visuals are easily among the most attractive in all Rivette.

Daze

#96 Post by Daze » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:36 pm

OK, some off-the-wall speculation. More of a "why isn't this stuff available?" wish list really.

Miklos Jancso - The Round-Up
Theo Angelopoulos - The Travelling Players
Glauber Rocha - Antonio das Mortes
Andy Warhol - Chelsea Girls

Or better yet, box sets for each director.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:22 pm

I'd love to see Chelsea Girls too, but something tells me Criterion wouldn't touch Warhol

ianungstad

#98 Post by ianungstad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:45 pm

A restored version of Black Orpheus is playing at the local art house in a few weeks courtesy Janus. Possible re-release in the near future?

miless

#99 Post by miless » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'd love to see Chelsea Girls too, but something tells me Criterion wouldn't touch Warhol
well thay did release Flesh For Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula, which were both Warhol productions

Cinephrenic

#100 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm

A nice anthology of experimental pop art films will do. They should release Flaming Creatures.