Why Won't They Release Only What I Want?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Schkura

#1 Post by Schkura » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:12 am

I thought I'd start a thread to consolidate the recent ill wind that's blown through the Forum lately re: Criterion's releases for the first half of 2006. The mods may find this akin to opening a "Why is Director X in the Collection", vitriol-receptacle thread, but I think the shear volume and shrill nature of the complaints warrant a separate topic area. Frankly, I'm quite tired of posters "blowing up" the Dazed and Confused, Equinox, etc. threads with "what-are-they-thinking"-type posts rather than discussing the specific points of the film which they find laudable or objectionable.

The central argument seems to be that 2006 has thus-far been a weaker year than most for our favorite DVD company. The evidence is a sparser release schedule including what some have dubbed less-than-worthy additions (such as the above examples) and unnecessary rereleases (a la Grey Gardens -- I doubt anyone minds Seven Samurai's double-disc retreatment or The 400 Blows for individual sale, though). The culprits? Based on the assertions I've read, some feel Criterion is growing lax in enforcing its own mission statement and is releasing too many unimportant films. Some blame the recent deal with Image. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how their relationship works and why it would work negatively against Criterion. What say-so does Image have with regards to Criterion's release schedule? Maybe someone can shead some light on that here. I, for one, have (per usual) my own uneducated guess.

With a slate that includes The Complete Mr. Arkadin, Elevator to the Gallows, and Late Spring-- all titles that I will blindly buy based on the directors' other works and/or the reputation of the films themselves-- I have more than enough to be excited about. Hell, Arkadin will probably take me a couple of weeks to examine. One can't deny, though, that the volume of quality releases has slowed when compared particularly to the last couple of years. Dozens upon dozens of quality, award-winning releases treated with great care and characterized by amazing creativity, comprehensiveness, and relevance-- perhaps just enough to spoil us. Criterion creates definitive DVD releases of important films that relatively few people are interested in. And they've released so many since 2004 that maybe they're a little strapped. Solution: rerelease your most popular titles with new features, throw in some potential cash cows like Dazed, and voila, you can now put out that Ozu boxset.

Everyone knows why Michael Bay is in the Collection, but he was included several years ago. I'm pretty sure that liquid has long since dried up.

Comments? Illuminations? Requests to close this thread?

HerrSchreck

#2 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:22 am

I'm not sure the perception that CC is a cash strapped martyr to often obscure pure cinema is accurate. They are one of two powerhouses (the other being Warner) that get's Their Own Complete Aisle in huge retailer chains. No other distributor gets that, not even Warner. Go into Virgin Megastore: a dedicated Criterion Aisle. Go into F.Y.E.: dedicated Aisle. Kims (NY chain): same thing. Shelf space is worth it's weight in gold-- if CC wasn't selling you wouldn't be seeing this kinda dedicated square yardage by chains. EDIT: and it wasn't TANNENBAUMS & ARMAGED that got them that yardage.

Old movies have blown up in the DVD market, and CC is king. Janus is a wealthy arthouse circuit co that has done well.

Now if you want to talk about a genuine martyr who takes lashings for it's poverty-strapped refusal to compromise away from the die-hards of true blue silents & avant & real foreign obscurities too weird for Cannes or the mass market-- Kino.

Ashirg

#3 Post by Ashirg » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:43 am

I think that June is the perfect month for Criterion Collection. Sure, they had much more productive months but June will bring something for everyone. The mainstream audience will get Dazed and Confused, the art cine lovers will get introduction of Pialat to the collection and Equinox is coming for cult and drive-in fans (and there's a huge market for those especially for a rare film like this). Each of them will be a 39.95 release with lots of exras to sink our teeth into. It all comes down to what Criterion staff wants to work on and which directors/studios are willing to work with them. I'm pretty sure that seeing the great package Criterion did with Slacker and poor job Universal did for Dazed and Confuzed Flashback Edition, Linklater went to Criterion to ask them do justice for that film. And we knew about Equinox coming for 5 years now, just couldn't confirm it. Some people are feeling that 2 of these films don't deserve to be in Criterion, but "Get over it!" If you don't like it - don't buy it and stop bitching. You saw how Criterion can botch a release that wasn't ready with restoration and proper material with Good Morning and for those Naruse/Ozu/Mizoguchi releases lots of work need to be done for restoration.

Schkura

#4 Post by Schkura » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:51 am

I don't totally disagree with you, H.S, but maybe my phrasing was off. The speculative equation (delusion?) I'm working with is qualified by the word "relatively". I'm sure Criterion makes money when all is said and done, but if the hypothesis that certain titles are included primarily for their ability to generate revenue is even partially correct, it stands to reason that many beautifully produced discs (like Ugetsu last year and The Battle of Algeirs the year before that) that I imagine cost a tidy sum to mass produce, do not bring in even close to as much dough.

I do disagree that B&M stand-alone displays are tangible proof of the company's financial well-being.

HerrSchreck

#5 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Schkura wrote:I don't totally disagree with you, H.S, but maybe my phrasing was off. The speculative equation (delusion?) I'm working with is qualified by the word "relatively". I'm sure Criterion makes money when all is said and done, but if the hypothesis that certain titles are included primarily for their ability to generate revenue is even partially correct, it stands to reason that many beautifully produced discs (like Ugetsu last year and The Battle of Algeirs the year before that) that I imagine cost a tidy sum to mass produce, do not bring in even close to as much dough.

I do disagree that B&M stand-alone displays are tangible proof of the company's financial well-being.
I'll tell you the truth, and I swear I'm not trying to be difficult:

When UGETSU came out, I never saw anything like it. Uptown, downtown, east west, that film... it seemed like every artsy bastard was waiting just to pop outa nowhere to grab this film. It obviously had enough of a reputation that spread by word of mouth-buzz. I coulda grabbed an advance copy two weeks before street date but was lazy... it took me a good month after the release date to finally get my hands on it. Restocks kept disappearing before I could get my hands on an inventory-wave.

They do very well with Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu, Bergman, all the stuff that didn't sell anywhere near this much even five years ago sells like smut inna pighouse these days. It's actually the superexpensive of ZISSOU, ARMAGEDD that I see collecting dust: the folks who like those films don't Like Film Hard Enough to get into extras that deep, or like those particular films in the way that they want to invistigate their history.

I think there are some producers-- maybe younger-- there at CC who just like that stuff. Maybe Becker, if he doesn't, just lets it go with an idea that it's going to sell like a Real Contemporary Release. Maybe they have wives or boyfreinds or girlfriends who love these films and talk them into them. I'd love to see numbers on these-- the theory that these films are vehicles for paying off an Ozu Silents box, etc, I'm not sure I buy it.

Schkura

#6 Post by Schkura » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Heh. "Difficult". I started this topic mostly as devil's advocacy for the complainers, so I really am looking for "difficulty" here.

I don't know the raw sales numbers, and though the impact of the New York market is huge, I AM sure its not representative of the buying habits of the nation as a whole. I live in what is probably an inverse market to that of New York where Best Buy is the cheapest place to buy new DVDs and they've had the same (single) copy of Ugetsu sitting on the shelf since its release.

fliggil

#7 Post by fliggil » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:53 pm

I'd also imagine it's more diffucult to keep lesser known titles like Ugetsu on the shelves in New York since there's what, 8 million people in the city? I go to school in a town with a little over 100,000 people. Our Best Buy usually gets in up to 5 copies of a new Criterion release, and once they are sold, never do I see those titles on the shelves again (with the excption of F&LiLV, Wes Anderson titles, etc.)

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#8 Post by Lemdog » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:10 pm

fliggil wrote:I'd also imagine it's more diffucult to keep lesser known titles like Ugetsu on the shelves in New York since there's what, 8 million people in the city? I go to school in a town with a little over 100,000 people.
Try 50,000 people where I live.

tryavna

#9 Post by tryavna » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Ashirg wrote:I think that June is the perfect month for Criterion Collection. Sure, they had much more productive months but June will bring something for everyone. The mainstream audience will get Dazed and Confused, the art cine lovers will get introduction of Pialat to the collection and Equinox is coming for cult and drive-in fans (and there's a huge market for those especially for a rare film like this). Each of them will be a 39.95 release with lots of exras to sink our teeth into.
In a way, I agree with Ashirg about the overall diversity that we're seeing, but my impression is that many members of this forum are even more concerned about the decreased number of releases. When you're used to seeing a minimum of four title per month, seeing that number drop to a solid three is a little disappointing. I get the impression that most members wouldn't mind seeing Dazed or Equinox if they didn't make up 2/3 of one month's schedule for Criterion.

pzman84

#10 Post by pzman84 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:27 pm

I think people are not just complaining about the releases of Dazed, Equinox, and the eventual release of Kicking and Screaming. There is no way just these three releases could cause so much controversy. However, it has been Criterion's whole attitude this year.

First, there were the extensive delays (this is off the top of my head, so feel free to correct me):

Young Mr. Lincoln
The Children Are Watching Us
The Complete Mr. Arkadin
Fists in the Pocket
Viridiana

Then, the horrible packaging for the two discs:

Kind Hearts & Coronets
Young Mr. Lincoln

Also, there was the pictureboxing:

Forbidden Games
The Virgin Spring
La bête humaine
Kind Hearts and Coronets

We also had that whole Viridiana Cover Art controversy. On top of that, we have the new editions of Grey Gardens, The 400 Blows and certain sections of the Monterey Pop Festival, releases no one was calling for.

Looking back on my rants of Dazed, Equinox, Kicking, and Metropolitan, they were, in many ways unfair. However, it is easy to pick on these titles because they are not respected classics like Virgin Spring and La bête humaine. No other service would release classics like these. I guess my fear, as is many, Criterion will sell out and stop releasing the films we come to enjoy or release the classics without the quality we expect (and pay for) from Criterion.

No matter how you slice it, so far the year has been very bad for Criterion. They have really fumbled. It is becomming so disconcerning because we expect so much out of Criterion. People are not ranting about MGM or Universal all that much because we expect them to do a lousy job on DVDs. Criterion is the standard bearer when it comes to DVDs. It is time Criterion changes or else it will stop being the Criterion we all love.

ben d banana

#11 Post by ben d banana » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:09 pm

So they shouldn't:

Delay something if it's not fully ready due to manufacturing hold-ups, last minute corrections, tardy materials, etc;

Try new packaging to see how it goes over;

Compensate for all of the whinging they hear over cropping and overscan (perhaps they slightly overdid it, but it's really not much and I'm watching on a 42" plasma via HDMI so I'm getting the full effect of the pictureboxing);

Use cover art that their entire customer base doesn't agree upon (perhaps they should submit ideas to this and the .com forum and then merge all of our disparate ideas into one perfect whole);

Release expanded versions of celebrated films, which many people watch repeatedly and are eager for more of, now that additional material is available;

Release individual versions of previously box set only items, for which, especially in the case of The 400 Blows, people were clamoring upon the original box announcements;

Heed the evidence which clearly shows no other company would release most of their contemporary and cult titles, nor would anyone show them the care Criterion and the filmmakers feel they're due?

You know, just checking.

bunuelian

#12 Post by bunuelian » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:10 pm

This is purely speculation, but the slowed release schedule could have to do with the financial structuring of the Image deal. Releases of titles that are more likely to sell to a wide audience than i.e. Ozu silents may have something to do with Image's desire/need to recoup some of its expenses related to the acquisition. It's a fair bet that some of the 2005 releases cost a good penny, given the high cost of restoration that's evident in discs like Balthasar and L'Eclisse.

There could also be concern that the next generation of format could restrict the long-term earning potential of expensive new releases, making it less desireable to take risks on i.e. Ozu silents.

An alternative theory might be that the company is working on a few high-cost releases for later in the year so its going a bit light for now. Or, maybe half their crew is working on the Eclipse launch . . .

In the end, it's all just speculation and kvetching . . .

skuhn8

#13 Post by skuhn8 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:16 pm

What's this about a Grey Gardens rerelease? Did I miss something? Same as old DVD? or no?

On topic, 2006 looks great so far. Keep up the good work. I'm confident it'll get (even) better.

What A Disgrace

#14 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:25 pm

While I'll agree that this has been a pretty bad year (I can't complain about the slow pace; Warner, MoC and Second Run have been keeping me busy), I have to say a few things.

Lately, Criterion has been announcing discs a full month earlier than usual. Delays were bound to happen. I'm sure it happened several times before the early announcement period, since most of the new delays occured within the month after their announcement. If anything, we should be critical of Criterion's carelessness in dating/announcing their releases...either that, or we should be a little more expectant of these delays, and be satisfied knowing what's on the slate.

And there are no new editions of The 400 Blows or the Monterey Pop films. They're the same discs, being released seperately from their respective boxes. I hope this trend continues, even if I don't personally benefit from it (I already own all of their boxes). I've always a little thought ill of Criterion for making the contents of their boxed sets exclusive; especially The 400 Blows, a film I show to friends often.

My question is...could last year's business with Image Entertainment be behind these sudden changes?

Schkura

#15 Post by Schkura » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:29 pm

To refer back to one of my earlier queries,
This is purely speculation, but the slowed release schedule could have to do with the financial structuring of the Image deal.
anyone care to indulge more about this relationship and how each company positively and negatively affects each other?
Also, there was the pictureboxing
THE PICTUREBOXING! That was a heated gripe, wasn't it? Sorry for the omission. It was last year, but I suppose we could lump the Jules and Jim thing in there, too.

zedz

#16 Post by zedz » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:57 pm

My disappointment with Criterion 2006 is primarily based on the number of releases, which is drastically down on 2005 (which was itself down on 2004, in terms of overall number of discs). I have no issue with the titles they've chosen to release. If I don't want something I won't buy it: there's plenty of superb titles coming out from MoC and Second Run.

The problem is that, with the decreased number of releases and the more mainstream titles coming through (many of which are already available in decent transfers in other regions, or even in the US), there are few surprises each month. At least with Arkadin we're getting a compendious, scholarly edition of an important film (a big trend in 2004 that was hardly followed through at all last year), but that's one of only a handful of genuinely exciting releases so far (and I don't count as exciting releases you'll buy for their extras rather than the already available film).

Gregory

#17 Post by Gregory » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I agree, zedz. Also, it's worth remembering that the last year Criterion took this much criticism for the titles they released was 2002, a year when they only put out only 32 new spine numbers. In my opinion, general lack of enthusiasm over the Neames, General Idi Amin Dada, Ratcatcher, and George Washington had mostly to do with there only being 2 or 3 releases each month. There have been unpopular selections in subsequent years (hello, Fat Girl) but most members were too bowled over by all the treasures being released to dwell on the things toward which they felt negatively.
I feel that way even this year. I'm pleased about titles such as Dazed and Confused & Kicking and Screaming, and even if I weren't I wouldn't take the time to gripe about it because, while there are heaps of unavailable films I'd desperately like to see released, I also have in my possession about 200 DVDs I'm ready to watch. It's not really worth the time to foam at the mouth over the titles Criterion chooses.
And I agree with Schkura that there are way too many posts that cast aspersions on a film with little or no justification. This board has the potential to be more than a forum for people to vent and toss out unsupported proclamations. Personally speaking the only criticisms that mean much to me are from people who have watched the film -- carefully -- and thoughtfully analyzed it on different textual levels against an informed backgroud relevant to the film and its creators. That's difficult to do but it's worth striving for. I'm not trying to lecture anyone, so I hope what I'm saying isn't taken that way.

carax09

#18 Post by carax09 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Yeah, I know I shouldn't let it get to me when people on this board piss on imminent releases from a great height based on their extensive imdb "research", but it does. Personally, I love it when the people at CC turn me on to films/filmmakers that I may have otherwise missed. The Olmi releases were such a treat, and there wasn't exactly a groundswell of cineastes out there beating pots and pans together demanding them. I think the Malle/Pialat/Baumbach/Stillman releases have the potential to engender the same type of excitement among certain people. Would I have preferred this list to read Gremillon/Garrell/Malick/July? Yes, but as someone above pointed out, Criterion is actually doing a very a good job of balancing releases of recognized classics, restorations, and the unjustly ignored. This year's line-up is something to be lauded, not trashed.

Morbii

#19 Post by Morbii » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:46 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:When UGETSU came out, I never saw anything like it. Uptown, downtown, east west, that film... it seemed like every artsy bastard was waiting just to pop outa nowhere to grab this film. It obviously had enough of a reputation that spread by word of mouth-buzz. I coulda grabbed an advance copy two weeks before street date but was lazy... it took me a good month after the release date to finally get my hands on it. Restocks kept disappearing before I could get my hands on an inventory-wave.
Where do you live? I'm pretty sure I'm one of the very few in my area that buys criterions ;) I remember Fry's Electronics getting aggressive with the criterions a few months back, buying several copies of Harakiri, Naked, Masculin Feminin, and Flowers of St. Francis (about 20 each probably). I think they are pretty much mostly all still on the shelf, and after that I don't believe Fry's has stocked a single new Criterion (not even Ran). Now, I imagine they picked the wrong films to go aggro on, but still.

HerrSchreck

#20 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:42 am

Morbii wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:When UGETSU came out, I never saw anything like it. Uptown, downtown, east west, that film... it seemed like every artsy bastard was waiting just to pop outa nowhere to grab this film.
Where do you live? .
I live in New York City.

Folks coming out of small towns saying they see copies gathering dust--

come on now, think. CC is a very wealthy company-- absolute undisputed DVD royalty. Their releases get friendly marketing mention in just about every syndicated column & review site on the planet. There are BMW's Caddies, boxes of Kelloggs Frosted Flakes, King Kong fullset tins gathering dust in many places; premium bestselling products get put on firesale liquidation everywhere. Food gets dumped by Pathmark. This doesn't mean these co's aren't industry leaders. Smaller towns sell slow & over time not only for CC but for most premium products that rule elsewhere & make co's Very Very Very Very Rich. Malls & chains & big city outlets is where a co like CC is going to make the lions share of it's cash.

Do you think the creaky old men who own all these superstores & chains devote a whole section to the complete CC because they wanta honor the Bergman Box & salute the mastery of HAXAN? It is a smart, cool-eye'd look at numbers & profit-observation of the overall performance & reputation of a market powerhouse.

Those folks who say these films are Bill Payers are actually agreeing with the naysayers they so briskly attack: by saying these are Bill Payers they are acknowledging these are somehow not heartfelt releases that aren't really "beloved" by the disc-producer, but are a nose-holding necessary-sin to pay the bills, like selling your soul to the devil.

I suspect the producers of the discs in question (EQUINOX, D&C) really like them.

Just because there's no stoplight in your town doesn't mean there's not a lotta traffic lights inna world making their manufacturers a pretty penny.

Napoleon

#21 Post by Napoleon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:00 am

Comments? Illuminations? Requests to close this thread?
Comments.
When the likes of Zedz, Hare, Gregory et al start petty moaning, thats the time to worry.

Illuminations.
Almost every important (ok famous) film is now available in a decent form on DVD.
CC is no longer able to consistently release these films in a way that 'bookends' the release schedule, keeping anticipation going for the next big 'important' release, using the lesser known films simply as stop-gaps.
Last edited by Napoleon on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morbii

#22 Post by Morbii » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:55 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Folks coming out of small towns saying they see copies gathering dust--
I live in San Jose. Not quite the same size as NYC in terms of people, but no slouch either. There is at least one independant chain with dedicated criterion sections, and only ONE TIME have I ever seen anyone besides myself in it. Not to mention the stock seems to never change (this is based on the one I go to). I know tower also has a quasi-criterion section, but who wants to pay $10-15 more than everywhere else.

Heh, a few years ago I heard Criterion was in financial trouble. I'm wondering why you think they are the richest DVD distributor on the planet. I guess that's what happens when people take a small sample and assume the world with it.

HerrSchreck

#23 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:24 am

I think it's nice that elementary schoolers participate in this board-- I'm all for it. I like the way they make a light wind bouncing offa the walls from marshmallow cereal sugar learning to question their existence & constructing cute questions so endearing & charming.

I always love the I haven't read it so it's probably isn't real bandits who stick you up at gunpoint.

Hey kiddo-- where do you think destitute Bill & Pete Becker & poverty stricken Fumiko panhandled all that money for that really kind and caring service they did for UGETSU with the nice packaging & all which are the most elaborate & expensive in the biz, and how much smelly sex these dumpster-jumpers hadta give away for free (in between garbage can scraps) creating the highest restoration-production values in the medium hands down, putting bound books & full color fold outs more eleaborate than all big studios combined.... and (god it warms the heart) the really wonderful thing is (bubble-lip trembling.. moved... throat tight.. cynicism poofing away) they did it all Just Because. Not because it makes big money... and not because those packagings have ever made them any money either. They just are very kind poor people.

Let us pray...

(Morbii that's the last time I visit your classroom 'kay? Next time get mommy to help you on this Obvious Sensory Shit. Or read a trade paper, get a job in the biz... or put two & two together & construe the fricking obvious outside a the zone of your own sunrise.)

alandau

#24 Post by alandau » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:03 am

MK2 is by far the best DVD company in the world, followed by Masters of Cinema.

Criterion was, till 2005. However, in 2006 - no way.

Main reasons
- apocalyptic decision to picturebox titles
- choice of titles e.g D & C
- sloppy release schedule
- boring newsleters and uncreative website that adds absolutely nothing to the wealth of knowledge regarding world cinema.

Above all, it is D & C that has done it for me.

kschell

#25 Post by kschell » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:17 am

Schkura wrote:The central argument seems to be that 2006 has thus-far been a weaker year than most for our favorite DVD company. The evidence is a sparser release schedule including what some have dubbed less-than-worthy additions (such as the above examples) and unnecessary rereleases (a la Grey Gardens -- I doubt anyone minds Seven Samurai's double-disc retreatment or The 400 Blows for individual sale, though).
I'd concur. It has been weaker. The re-releases don't excite, as I don't play to re-purchase, The newer releases have had a few gems, but many less than last year at this time.

What could save 2006? Maybe the long awaited Tati discs, the Eisenstein silent set, "A Day in the Country" or "The Strange Crime of M. Lange", maybe even a dip into the public domain to grab an old Griffith or Biritsh Hitchcock.