Windowboxing / Pictureboxing: Now with a shiny new petition!

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
TMDaines

Re: Windowboxing / Pictureboxing: Now with a shiny new petit

#226 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
TMDaines wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Black bars spoil the presentation? We're going there with this?
Maximum use of the display versus much of the display being used plus unnecessary black bars? Clearly someone at Criterion HQ thought it spoiled it too and reversed the windowboxing trend. Idiots.
The folks at Criterion are idiots. Ooh, what's this? The Criterion Forum? Sign me up!
Turn your sarcasm dectector on. You're the one defending the practice. I'm applauding them for ending the practice. It seems they agreed that it unnecessarily spoiled the presentation. We must both be wrong.

You're the one either (a) just picking a fight, or, (b) arguing against their current practise. Not me.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#227 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:13 pm

If Criterion really has abandoned the practice (and I'm not sure that they have--the only new CC DVDs I still watch are Eclipses, but I've read reports that most of their 1.33:1 DVDs still use windowboxing) this is surely some feat for a company run by idiots!

manicsounds

#228 Post by manicsounds » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 am

With the new dual format releases like the 1.33:1 ratio "Tokyo Story", is the DVD edition getting the windowboxed treatment?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#229 Post by cdnchris » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 am

I'm realizing I didn't pay attention when looking at the DVD on Tokyo Story but I'm sure I would have noticed it. City Lights isn't. In the World Cinema set Touki Bouki is slightly (but the Blu-ray also shows the same thin black bars at the top and bottom) but the other films in the set aren't.