Criterion Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

#101 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:55 pm

I thought his commentary was recorded before the so-called rights issue.

Jeff

#102 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:07 am

cinephrenic wrote:I thought his commentary was recorded before the so-called rights issue.
It was, but I don't think that they would list it among his credits unless its release was imminent. No point in touting a commentary that nobody will ever hear.

exte

#103 Post by exte » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:59 am

Jeff wrote:Roger Ebert's just-published volume of criticism The Great Movies II has a list of his commentary tracks alongside his ouvre of books. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is among the tracks listed, so I'm assuming that all rights issues have indeed been resolved.
I looked up the book at amazon, and found the following to be pretty insulting...
Some of his choices are sure to spark debate; two Japanese cartoons, for example, may strike some as excessive, especially since the treatment of live-action Japanese directors barely extends past Kurosawa.
How are films like My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies just cartoons? Sorry if I come off as too sensitive, but still...

Derek Estes

#104 Post by Derek Estes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 pm

Jeff wrote:
cinephrenic wrote: No point in touting a commentary that nobody will ever hear.
They may just be hopeful, for a release.

Ashirg

#105 Post by Ashirg » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:36 am

cafeman wrote:Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the current 12 Monkeys DVD?
It's being re-released on May 10th according to DVD Answers, with nothing new added...

Dylan

#106 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:30 pm

I've never contributed to this thread before, but I suppose I have something to add. It was mentioned to me almost a year ago by an LA animator that Dennis Muren and Jim Danforth had recorded a commentary track for Criterion's "Equinox," that both versions of the film will be released, and I believe that the original stop-motion models were being used for the menus (or some other extra feature, the person who told me was partially in charge of the model utilization). I also vaguely remember information about Jack Woods having something to do with it. This was quite a while ago (it seems like its been forever since I've talked with those who were going to participate in this release), so I have no idea where the release is at the moment, but I suspect the next Criterion B-monster movie release is around the corner.

Narshty

#107 Post by Narshty » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:08 pm

Ah, Dylan, that's a splendid bit of info! It's about time Criterion got some more top-notch trash into the collection.

Dylan

#108 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:39 pm

Sure thing Jon. I can't say I'm a fan of this film personally, but as a kid I really ate it up, and I used to know some people who worked on it. I've seen both versions, and both are true B-movie monster trash. The Jack Woods version (with footage filmed four years after the original version, with the same, albeit aged, actors) is far less coherent than the original and makes almost no sense (all the more fun for fans of this sort of thing). To describe this film would be: Seventh Voyage of Sinbad meets Evil Dead meets Gumby (and add some Plan 9 in there too). A note on the music: an original percussion/old synth-driven score for the Muren version, stock music from nature documentaries, the Outer Limits, and The Invaders for the released version. I'm sure the DVD will completely indulge in more information (this production has such a hilarious and strange history).

DrewReiber

#109 Post by DrewReiber » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:19 pm

Dylan wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of this film personally, but as a kid I really ate it up, and I used to know some people who worked on it. I've seen both versions, and both are true B-movie monster trash.
I have the Jack Woods version burned from an old VHS copy entitled "The Beast". Does anyone know why this hasn't come out yet even though they have been talking about the release for years? For all we know, it's completely fallen through by now. A good special edition would be terrific, but I no longer have my hopes up.

Btw, I am of the party that believes Sam Raimi owes the majority of his inspiration to this film for his entire Evil Dead trilogy, not to mention some of his particular obsessions (clocks!). It's also obvious that it had an impact on Peter Jackson (early shorts) and Don Coscarelli (Phantasm). This film is one of those Rosetta Stones of film history that you find every long once in a while...

Dylan

#110 Post by Dylan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:07 am

Sam Raimi definitely saw this sometime (though the original version resembles "Evil Dead" more than the release version does, but I'm pretty sure the original was out of circulation in the seventies when Sam would've stumbled upon it).

I don't think there's any need not to have your hopes up, Drew, because this is definitely coming out sometime...though again, that was a year ago when I was told about the production. Maybe they're afraid it won't make a lot of money (though there are a billion Evil Dead fans out there who might want it, and lets face it, more people like cheese like this rather than a film like "The Leopard"). It's anybody's guess what's taking the release so long.

Dylan

DrewReiber

#111 Post by DrewReiber » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:52 am

Dylan wrote:Sam Raimi definitely saw this sometime (though the original version resembles "Evil Dead" more than the release version does, but I'm pretty sure the original was out of circulation in the seventies when Sam would've stumbled upon it).
How is that possible when the Woods cut has the tape recording, the flashback and the gears? I would love to see the other version.
Dylan wrote:I don't think there's any need not to have your hopes up, Drew, because this is definitely coming out sometime
We'll see, I'm not holding my breath. It's too bad because people eyes really light up when I talk about it. I was bragging about Criterion about a year ago, because they were putting so many great titles out that the variety was just staggering. To jokingly hold a case against my claim, a friend asked me if Evil Dead would be in the collection soon, and when I said I would do him better and explained Equinox... his jaw dropped to the floor.

If Criterion plays this just right, people will definitely flock to it. But they definitely need to play up how influential it was and mention both the Evil Dead movies AND Army of Darkness specifically by name. There are still tons of people who aren't familiar with the first two films. AAAGGHH, I don't want to get my hopes up... but just thinking about the special features they might have on stop-motion animation is getting me excited. If it ever comes out, it would be an interesting compliment to their hopefully inevitable release of The Life Aquatic.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#112 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:40 pm

Just wondering here, but I've heard a few random inklings about a Criterion "Le Samourai" DVD coming out this year; and I was hoping that somebody else might have heard something similar.

Anyone? Bueller?

-BJ

Steven H

#113 Post by Steven H » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:48 pm

Sometime last year Mulvaney gave the ol'no liberty to discusss upcoming titles response to Le Samourai... so there you go. About a 70/30 chance of it coming out (I guess). How about a firm "Probably".

Cinephrenic

#114 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:55 pm

JM told me the same thing, so it is most likely coming.

Dylan

#115 Post by Dylan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:46 pm

"Le Samourai" would be great. I've never seen the film, but Alain Delon looks awesome in the still photos I've seen from this (and Melville is just a damn fine director).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#116 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:17 pm

"Le Samourai" is one of the best French films you'll ever see.

Steven H

#117 Post by Steven H » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:19 pm

I got a reply from Mulvaney today saying to expect more Bresson this year.

sherlockjr

#118 Post by sherlockjr » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:16 am

Ebert's new addition to his great movies listing is Late Spring. I realize that this probably signals absolutely nothing, particularly with the Ozu festival currently going on, but I do think there's the slightest chance that he could be signalling that it's forthcoming as a DVD release (especially if he did the commentary).

Why is this possible? Quite often an entry makes his list only to be released on DVD within a few months. It doesn't work this way always, but, hey, let's hope!

flambeur

#119 Post by flambeur » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:10 pm

Seems like someone knows something...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum ... did=226303

Cinephrenic

#120 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:41 pm

First of all, why wouldn't they release The Milky Way along with Phantom of Liberty. Second, I still don't see Burden of Dreams being released without Fitzcarraldo (which focuses heavily on the film itself). If this was any DVD production company, than alright, but Criterion releasing films with significant importance and independent worthiness, it would just seem absent without the Fitzcarraldo. I may be all wrong too. :roll:

DrewReiber

#121 Post by DrewReiber » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:03 pm

cinephrenic wrote:First of all, why wouldn't they release The Milky Way along with Phantom of Liberty. Second, I still don't see Burden of Dreams being released without Fitzcarraldo (which focuses heavily on the film itself).
1) The information looks like it came from a casual mention of a few dates and titles. I expect very much to see at least 5 titles announced for May by the end of this month. For all we know, those other titles might include more Bunuel.

2) Anchor Bay is NOT going to license Fitzcarraldo to Criterion. The film is available as a good single addition and in an excellent box set. I'm willing to bet that Criterion had been waiting to see if they could, and are now happy with just getting it out. I also wouldn't be surprised if they included Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe on the disc as a supplement.
Last edited by DrewReiber on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andre Jurieu

#122 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:07 pm

DrewReiber wrote: 2) Anchor Bay is NOT going to license Fitzcarraldo to Anchor Bay.
Now, that's just bad business sense. Imagine how awkward the Christmas Party will be this year.

solaris72

#123 Post by solaris72 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:03 pm

DrewReiber wrote:I expect very much to see at least 5 titles announced for May by the end of this month.
I kind of doubt it. A recent interview with Criterion producer Kim Hendrickson cited the 2005 production slate at about 40 titles. Counting what's been released, and what's been announced for Feb, Mar, and April, they've announced 20 of those titles in the first third of the year. I might be wrong, but I think that the announcements will slow down a little, and that those three might be all that Criterion's announcing in May (my wallet certainly hopes so).

toiletduck!

#124 Post by toiletduck! » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:23 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:
DrewReiber wrote: 2) Anchor Bay is NOT going to license Fitzcarraldo to Anchor Bay.
Now, that's just bad business sense. Imagine how awkward the Christmas Party will be this year.
Bless your sweet heart, Andre... I'm still laughing.

Seven gold stars for that one!

-Toilet Dcuk

souvenir

#125 Post by souvenir » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:27 pm

I asked Roger Ebert tonight at his book signing if he would be involved with the upcoming Hoop Dreams dvd and he said that the essay from his "The Great Movies" series would be included. He also said he wasn't doing the commentary but that the filmmakers and two subjects of the film would be on it.

On a related note, he made reference to Beyond the Valley of the Dolls as "coming later this year."