Criterion Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Anthony

A Hen in the Wind

#176 Post by Anthony » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:24 pm

I saw about 20 films at the Ozu festival in Seattle... and they all had the Janus/HVe logo before each film.

Alain3000

#177 Post by Alain3000 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:46 am

One Fox title I like to see Criterion get a hold of is Alain Resnais' Je T'Aime, Je T'Aime.

Gordon

#178 Post by Gordon » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:27 pm

Peter Watkins, who will be 70 this year, now has an incredible ouevre of startling, unique films:

La Commune: Paris, 1871 (2000. 335-minute version)
The Freethinker (1994, 276-minute unconventional biopic on multi-disciplined artist, August Strindberg)
The Journey (1987, 15-hour international documentary on World peace)
Evening Land (1977, Danish, sci-fi)
The Seventies People (1975, made for Danish TV)
The Trap (1975, made for Swedish TV)
Edvard Munch (1974, made for Norwegian TV; original version runs 4hrs)
Punishment Park (1971)
The Gladiators (1969)
Privilege (1967, owned by Universal)
The War Game (1965, notorious nuclear war 'documentary' made for BBC)
Culloden (1964, legendary 'news report' on the Battle of Culloden made for the BBC)
The Forgotten Faces (1961, short)
The Diary of an Unknown Soldier (1959, short)

Official Watkins Website: http://www.mnsi.net/~pwatkins/part2_home.htm

It is stated that Facets are working on a DVD of The Freethinker.

In the "Availability" paragraph for Privilege:
At the present time, ‘Privilege’ is one of the hardest of my films to acquire. For many years it has unfortunately been the general practise of the major Hollywood studios to shelve their old films (especially those from the 1960s) and not make them available to the public. Thus it has been for ‘Privilege’ for many years, and the film is rarely seen, except at a few festivals, and is still not available anywhere in the world on VHS or DVD.

There is one 35mm copy (still in excellent condition) which is available from Universal Pictures, but this is only for special cinema and festival screenings, and is expensive to rent. This is the copy which was specially supplied by UP to the Carpenter Centre at Harvard University for their retrospective of my work in January, 2001 For the terms and availability of this print, please contact:

Michael Daruty,
SVP of Technical Services,
Universal City Studios,
100 Universal City Plaza,
Universal City, California 91608,
USA

++1-818 777-4727 tel
michael.daruty@unistudios.com

However, I am now in contact with John Heyman, the original producer of ‘Privilege’, and with the Home Video Group at Universal Pictures, to find a way for UP to agree to third-party licensing, so that the film can become available on DVD and generally to the domestic market. In the meanwhile, for further information, please contact me by e-mail: peter_r_watkins@hotmail.com
Why would it need to licensed to a third party?

The IMDb lists the following for Privilege:
Visual Effects by
Scott Dougherty .... digital restoration producer: Cinesite (uncredited)
Jerry Pooler .... digital restoration supervisor (uncredited)
Tiffany Smith .... digital restoration coordinator: Cinesite (uncredited)
I have emailed Watkins about this and will post his reply when I receive it.

His films need DVD editions with interviews and commentaries from this extraordinary free-thinker, no question about it.

Lino

#179 Post by Lino » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:08 pm

MoC will be releasing some Peter Watkins in the future. Titles are as of yet unknown.

peerpee
not perpee

#180 Post by peerpee » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:36 pm

Just this at the moment. Hopefully more in 2006:

I've been lucky enough to see around half of his work this last year, and EDVARD MUNCH, particularly, is an absolute revelation.

Gordon

#181 Post by Gordon » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:44 pm

That's excellent news! Punishment Park is an extraordinary film.

I imagine that Privilege will also be released; it's a great film yet it has been very hard to see over the years. At the time, the film was called "hysterical" and "paranoid" - I doubt anyone would use those adjectives today; it was a prescient film by a master filmmaker.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#182 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:33 pm

Peerpee you magnificent bastard! It's about time somebody showed Watkins love. Even with my DVD budget stretched ridiculously thin on R1 releases, this one is a definite pick up for me, even if just for gift giving to friends.

On another note, I remember hearing that Anchor Bay had attempted to put together a "Privilege" SE, back when they were still heavily licensing films from Universal. Unfortunately, they never received material good enough to do an acceptable transfer, and the disc was cancelled (shades of the "Shanghai Express" situation with Criterion). Take from this what you will.

-BJ

Gordon

#183 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:14 am

Jeb, Privilege was recently digitally restored by Cinesite, so someone intends to release it. It's long absence on home video has always puzzled me, especially in this modern age of Pop Idol, American Idol, etc.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#184 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:33 am

Gordon, that's good news. The stuff about Anchor Bay is a couple years old (I think I read it in an interview with William Lustig, right around the time he started Blue Underground). It's nice to know someone's moving forward with another one of Watkins' films, even if it doesn't trickle down to getting licensed by Criterion.

-BJ

ianungstad

#185 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:31 am

Not really much to add, rather new to the forum and just getting up to date on the various bits of criterion info. Did email Mulvaney recently who said there would be a few science fiction releases from Criterion this year. Maybe that's in reference to this Gordon Boxset? Anyhoo...I love the classics, but would like to discover a few more genre pieces. Looking forward to the cult line.

kappoka

#186 Post by kappoka » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:33 pm

Random and hopeful speculation...
On May 5 TCM will be showing the following Bunuel:
Los Olvidados (1950) --Nazarin (1959) -- Viridiana (1961) --The Exterminating Angel (1962) --Simon of the Desert (1965).
I have noticed the last couple of years that TCM often shows Criterion prints without advertising them as Criterion presentations like IFC sometimes does.
If these Buñuel films look good and appear to be new prints I would be willing to bet anything that Criterion will release these as part of their Box Set. So be on the lookout for the quality of the prints they broadcast on May 5. And if anyone knows the vague link between Criterion and TCM please shed some light. Unless it's all just my imagination...

swingo

#187 Post by swingo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:44 pm

kappoka wrote:Random and hopeful speculation...
On May 5 TCM will be showing the following Bunuel:
Los Olvidados (1950) --Nazarin (1959) -- Viridiana (1961) --The Exterminating Angel (1962) --Simon of the Desert (1965).
I have noticed the last couple of years that TCM often shows Criterion prints without advertising them as Criterion presentations like IFC sometimes does.
If these Buñuel films look good and appear to be new prints I would be willing to bet anything that Criterion will release these as part of their Box Set. So be on the lookout for the quality of the prints they broadcast on May 5. And if anyone knows the vague link between Criterion and TCM please shed some light. Unless it's all just my imagination...
It might be.

Suppsedly, the newest restored print of Los Olvidados will be screened at Cannes.

Axel.

justeleblanc

#188 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:50 pm

I asked JM last week if there's any more Bunuel on the horizon. He replied and said that they look forward to releasing more Bunuel in the future but none of his titles appear on the production schedule for the rest of 05.

FilmFanSea

#189 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Los Olvidados is being distributed by Koch Lorber, which will release it on DVD later this year.

FilmFanSea

#190 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Question:
Is there any possibility Miramax might allow Criterion to release Marco Tullio Giordana's brilliant THE BEST OF YOUTH? Given its length and sketchy distribution, it seems like the kind of film that otherwise might languish in the trunk of Harvey Weinstein's car, rather than receiving the Criterion-quality multi-disc release it deserves.

Fingers crossed.

Answer:
Dear Brian,

We have no plans for THE BEST OF YOUTH at this time, but I will gladly pass your email along to acquisitions.

Best,
JM

swingo

#191 Post by swingo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:14 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:Question:
Is there any possibility Miramax might allow Criterion to release Marco Tullio Giordana's brilliant THE BEST OF YOUTH? Given its length and sketchy distribution, it seems like the kind of film that otherwise might languish in the trunk of Harvey Weinstein's car, rather than receiving the Criterion-quality multi-disc release it deserves.

Fingers crossed.

Answer:
Dear Brian,

We have no plans for THE BEST OF YOUTH at this time, but I will gladly pass your email along to acquisitions.

Best,
JM
I guess that it will be released first in No Shame.

Axel.

Gordon

#192 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:15 pm

If Criterion announce that they will be releasing Il Conformista, I will need to be sedated! I can't think of a bigger Criterion bombshell.

kappoka

#193 Post by kappoka » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:57 pm

I have not been able to find any info that Koch will release Los Olvidados.

Il Conformista CC would be sweet. If it would resemble anything close to Il Gattopardo it would be too much to handle.**fingers crossed**

Brian Oblivious

#194 Post by Brian Oblivious » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:40 pm

kappoka wrote:I have not been able to find any info that Koch will release Los Olvidados.
Here's my confirmation: my neighborhood theatre has the new poster up at the concession stand, and promised to screen it in a recent newsletter.

http://www.balboamovies.com/news/news_20050318.html
Suzanne Fedak of Koch Lorber is distributing next week's DONKEY SKIN, a stunning color restoration of Jacques Demy's fairytale starring Catherine Deneuve. She committed a restoration (with previously unseen footage) of Luis Bunuel's LOS OLVIDADOS for this summer.

Gordon

#195 Post by Gordon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:59 pm

That's great news, Brian!

FilmFanSea

#196 Post by FilmFanSea » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:32 pm

kappoka wrote:I have not been able to find any info that Koch will release Los Olvidados.
From a press release at Billboard Radio Monitor online:
Koch Film Unit To Bow Gold Series
Jan. 28, 2005
By Jill Kipnis, L.A.

Koch Lorber Films is launching a new line of DVDs, the Gold Series.

Each title in the series will be a critically acclaimed film featuring digitally restored prints, 5.1 Dolby Digital audio and bonus features such as commentary tracks, documentaries, interviews and deleted scenes.

The first Gold Series DVD will be Jacques Demy's "Donkey Skin (Peau d'Ane)," starring Catherine Deneuve. The title will be released May 10.

Upcoming releases will include the Lena Wermüller films "Seven Beauties" and "Swept Away," Luis Buñuel's "Los Olvidados" and Alain Corneau's "All the Mornings of the World (Tous les Matins du Monde)."

Koch Lorber Films is a division of Koch Entertainment.

criterionsnob

#197 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:59 pm

Amazon.ca is listing a documentary called "The Children of Chabannes" with a release date of June 28/05. Studio is listed as The Criterion Collection.

Mistake, or no?

peerpee
not perpee

#198 Post by peerpee » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:16 pm

Looks like a mistake. Different studio at their .com site

Dylan

#199 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:00 pm

commingledcontainers wrote:
kappoka wrote: I have noticed the last couple of years that TCM often shows Criterion prints without advertising them as Criterion presentations like IFC sometimes does.
Yes, and on July 9, TCM is showing a letterboxed print of The Conformist. That combined with grimfarrow's post in the Viacom thread is interesting...
Magnificent! I can't wait to finally see a clean print of one of my five favorite films! I'm counting the days...
And this is certainly a clear indication that a new DVD is on the horizon.

Dylan

PS- by the way, the website says that it will air on July 8 at 11pm (pacific).
Last edited by Dylan on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinephrenic

#200 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:20 pm

Since Criterion and Kino have some kind of relationshop together, I really hope we see Kino's Come and See, The Mirror, and Sacrifice released as more Russian masterpieces into the collection in the near future or when their licenses might possible run out from Mosfilm next year. I would love to see the Sacrifice released in a 2-disc edition with the documentary of it packaged together.