Oh, That Viridiana Cover!

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
souvenir

Oh, That Viridiana Cover!

#1 Post by souvenir » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:22 pm

ImageImage

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:24 pm

Um... er... okay, that's horrible. It's going straight to the top of the list of worst Criterion covers ever, perhaps tying with Pepe le Moko because they're both Photochop jobs of the worst sort.

Are they trying to make it a matching set with King of Kings?

bunuelian

#3 Post by bunuelian » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:33 pm

Wait. No. Can we make an exception for this so it can be in the Worst Covers thread? I'm not one to complain about covers, but Viridiana is just gross.

pauling

#4 Post by pauling » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:34 pm

That Viridiana cover insults such a great film! What's with all the frickin' pink?!

Cinéslob

#5 Post by Cinéslob » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:53 pm

Criterion covers: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

bunuelian: Is your avatar taken from the Alberto Isaac cartoon of Viridiana backfiring - literally - on Franco? Spooky coincidence if so; I saw that Isaac cartoon for the very first time yesterday!

-EDIT-

Of course, only now do I discover that your avatar was discussed at length in the Viridiana thread itself, making me look a bit dim. Arse.
Last edited by Cinéslob on Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigi M.

#6 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:53 pm

That has to be the worst cover by Criterion ever. I hoped they would use some still from the Last Super or the bed scene with Fernando Ray trying to kiss Silvia Pinal. Well shit.

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:13 pm

Wow. That Viridiana cover may occasion the first ever consensus in this thread. It looks like the runner-up in a cover design speed challenge. I say runner up, because the guy who didn't realise the race had started and ended up with a blank cover would have won against that.

I mean, really, it's hard to imagine how much worse it could be. Playing cards, skipping ropes, The Last Supper - anything!

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:15 pm

zedz wrote:Wow. That Viridiana cover may occasion the first ever consensus in this thread.
Not yet - it actually made me laugh. For all the wrong reasons, though. But I like it, nonetheless. (guess now Nick won't be paying much attention to my appreciation of MoC covers now, huh?)

toiletduck!

#9 Post by toiletduck! » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:23 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, the new contender for Criterion director worst represented by cover art: Luis Bunuel!

Hell, I'd even rank him below Duvivier - one shitty cover happens sometimes, but repeatedly being shat upon, well, that's just kind of icky.

-Toilet Dcuk

backstreetsbackalright

#10 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:23 pm

Not even cute, that cover.

ianungstad

#11 Post by ianungstad » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:32 pm

I feel bad for being critical of Kind Hearts and Coronets after seeing the Viridiana cover. Dear lord is that horrible....I so hope they change it. bleck.

bunuelian

#12 Post by bunuelian » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:51 pm

I borrowed from the Isaac cartoon and threw together my icon this week. Not sure if I'm feeling the colors. Thanks for noticing, though. :) I mailed Mulvaney to complain.

godardslave

#13 Post by godardslave » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:16 pm

I have a paranoid/terrible feeling something bad has happened in the criterion art/cover design department. Someone got sacked? someone new who has no idea what the fuck they are doing moved in? Surely, the people who gave us ugestu cannot be the same as the people who have produced coronets/viridiana.

where will it end? :cry:
bunuelian wrote:I mailed Mulvaney to complain.
I'm with you, brother!

FilmFanSea

#14 Post by FilmFanSea » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:25 pm

If the "artist" had drawn Sylvia Pinal's breasts a bit more prominently, this could pass for the cover of a bad fifties pulp novel. What this lurid purple conception has to do with Viridiana I have no idea.

Truly dreadful.

Cinesimilitude

#15 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:49 pm

I'm mailing mulvaney also. I suggest everyone on here do the same.

Jem

#16 Post by Jem » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:56 am

I have a paranoid/terrible feeling something bad has happened in the criterion art/cover design department. Someone got sacked? someone new who has no idea what the fuck they are doing moved in?
Surely, the people who gave us ugestu cannot be the same as the people who have produced coronets/viridiana. where will it end?

Relax. Have you forgotten the recent well designed covers already? I think the 'Coronets' cover is fine, infact in my opinion it is one of Criterions more unique and original covers, the script along the tree is particularly nice.

Re. Viridiana, I think the colour is what is putting everyone off, it is a bit insipid.

hammock

#17 Post by hammock » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:46 am

Not my taste either but I bet Mr. Buñuel would have loved the commotion created by the packing of his movie. I have not seen this movie and the artwork does not reveal much, but after all the noise in this thread I can't wait to see it!

colinr0380

#18 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:50 am

Jem wrote:I think the 'Coronets' cover is fine, in fact in my opinion it is one of Criterions more unique and original covers, the script along the tree is particularly nice.

Re. Viridiana, I think the colour is what is putting everyone off, it is a bit insipid.
I agree with both points here, I like the Kind Hearts and Coronets cover as well. Although I've never really had many problems with the covers before (except perhaps Heaven Can Wait), I feel as if I'm being dared to still buy Viridiana by the cover!

I think the pink is a little strange as is the picture and the slash of purple underneath with the title on it, but the thing that makes me really dislike it is the dirt over the cover. I'm not at all familiar with the film, but is the dirt meant to convey any meaning?

Napoleon

#19 Post by Napoleon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:00 am

As I type this I cannot see. A single glimpse of the Viridiana cover immediately forced my eyes to go blind in preference to taking in its hideousness any more.

Lino

#20 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:02 am

They apparently went with a mock-up of the original french poster art:

However, there are far more interesting international posters out there that could have done the trick much more effectively:

ImageImage

Or they could have just put this very suggestive picture with the name on top and be home free:

hammock

#21 Post by hammock » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:10 am

Or one of these...

ImageImage

ImageImage

jmj713

#22 Post by jmj713 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:02 pm

I'm a big fan of Bunuel, but became one with Criterion's DVD. So I've never seen any of his films prior to buying the discs. I have no idea what Viridiana is about or what sort of film it is, so maybe that's why I'm not bothered by the cover and actually like it. It's very blasphemous, and that's great. I'll be sure to preorder it! More Bunuel, Criterion!

Steven H

#23 Post by Steven H » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:12 pm

The Viridiana cover is awful (thank god we have this thread, the messageboard's vomitorium equivalent). Kind Hearts and Coronets looks both funny and british, which is what it's supposed to be, right?

justeleblanc

#24 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:05 pm

Why is it that all my favorite movies have horrible DVD covers. First Heaven Can Wait, now this.

I actually don't mind the picture or even the pink background, but the sash at the bottom and the typeface is horrible horrible horrible. Emailing JM as we speak.

Eric

#25 Post by Eric » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:41 am

FilmFanSea wrote:What this lurid purple conception has to do with Viridiana I have no idea.
Um... it's a lurid, twisted movie?

I stand alone. I love this cover more than almost any of '05's mixed bag.