Which Criterion DVDs are single layer?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
cafeman

#1 Post by cafeman » Tue May 03, 2005 7:42 pm

Just wondering.

daniel p

#2 Post by daniel p » Mon May 30, 2005 5:17 am

From what I can tell; Balthazar, Hoop Dreams and Phantom of Liberty are all single layer according to that website.

Is this correct?

I'm guessing that Hoop Dreams and Balthazar, at least, would be dual layer, with the total running time of video on each disc...

The Invunche

#3 Post by The Invunche » Mon May 30, 2005 7:05 am

Hoop Dreams:
To maintain optimal image quality through the compression process, the picture on this dual-layer DVD-9 was encoded at the highest-possible bit rate for the quantity of materials included.
http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=289

kieslowski_67

#4 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:49 pm

cafeman wrote:Just wondering.
A couple titles from the Kurosawa samurai box; 2 titles from Truffaut's Antonie series.

Ted Todorov

#5 Post by Ted Todorov » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:10 pm

daniel p wrote:From what I can tell; Balthazar, Hoop Dreams and Phantom of Liberty are all single layer according to that website.

Is this correct?
If you look at Criterion's website all of them are dual layer... Whoever is claiming single layer is wrong. I can't think of a single recent SL Criterion. Probably the last one was Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne.

kieslowski_67

#6 Post by kieslowski_67 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:49 pm

Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Love on the run, Bed and board,....., to name a few.

starmanof51

#7 Post by starmanof51 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:28 pm

Winter Light

DrBanan

#8 Post by DrBanan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:50 am

#146 Cranes Are Flying and #148 Ballad of a Soldier are incorrectly labeled on CC website as Dual layer when in fact they are single layer only.
Also #195 I Fidanzati appears to be single layer (according to both CC website and IMDB).

hearthesilence

#9 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:26 pm

I don't know if it's changed, but the older pressing of "M. Hulot's Holiday" is single layer. It's a short movie with brief extras and one 2-channel audio track. I'm sure Night & Fog is single layer for similar reasons.

Just out of curiousity, could Criterion have made these as dual-layer DVDs with greater resolution, or is there a limit/ceiling in resolution and standard DVD compatibility that would've made that unlikely?

GringoTex

#10 Post by GringoTex » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:54 pm

Ted Todorov wrote: If you look at Criterion's website all of them are dual layer... Whoever is claiming single layer is wrong. I can't think of a single recent SL Criterion. Probably the last one was Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne.
If you look on the play side of the disc and there are two rings with lettering and numbers around the center hole, then it's dual layer. If only one ring with lettering and numbering, then it's single layer.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:58 pm

A lot of the early release are single layer (Lady Vanishes, original 400 Blows, original Beauty & the Beast, The Killer, Walkabout, Salo, original M, Alphaville, Summertime, Shock Corridor, Naked Kiss, Nanook, Long Good Friday and so on) Spinal Tap is a dual-sided, single-layered DVD (DVD-10), movie on one side (with commentaries) and extras on the second side. It's the only DVD-10 release as well. They usually only did it when the movie and extras were together over 2 hours. Now they seem to put everything on a dual-layer discs.

They probably did this because of costs because my understanding was that it was actually more expensive to press dual-layer discs in the early days of DVD.

arsonfilms

#12 Post by arsonfilms » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:49 pm

Just out of curiousity, could Criterion have made these as dual-layer DVDs with greater resolution, or is there a limit/ceiling in resolution and standard DVD compatibility that would've made that unlikely?
Yes, there is a point at which the information on the disc just can't go any higher. Fidelity to the master in any digital recording is measured by the bitrate. To encode at a bitrate that's too high would result in players tripping over themselves trying to read the mass of information.

That said, I've heard of studios pressing DVD9s without any information to put on the second layer just so that it could be called a dual-layer disc. Although I think Criterion would know better, it is entirely possible that some of the weaker dual-layer discs in the collection are true DVD9s with as much information as a regular ole' DVD5.

HerrSchreck

#13 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:25 am

To my surprise, THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC. Posted belatedly after a longstanding hunch was confirmed over a month ago.

lull

#14 Post by lull » Tue May 02, 2006 1:06 pm

Disc Two of the Richard III set is single layer.

skuhn8

#15 Post by skuhn8 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:45 am

motley6 wrote:Adding a few more

Brazil- all 3 discs are single layer
Armageddon- both discs are single layer
Olivier's Hamlet- 1 disc single layer

Anybody know any others besides the ones previously mentioned?
Last I check Hamlet clocks in about 7.3 gigs. RSDL for sure. As is Armageddon. I believe the long version of Brazil is RSDL as well, but that the supplements disc is single layered. I don't know about the hacked version. :?

mbalson

#16 Post by mbalson » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 am

motley6 wrote:Adding a few more
Brazil- all 3 discs are single layer
Armageddon- both discs are single layer
Olivier's Hamlet- 1 disc single layer
Anybody know any others besides the ones previously mentioned?
Wrong.
Armageddon - disc one - 8.385 GB DL
Hamlet - 8.243 GB DL
Brazil - disc one - 7.385 GB DL
Brazil - disc two - 5.914 GB DL

yukiyuki

#17 Post by yukiyuki » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:25 am

Most Dangerous Game