How to identify (and avoid) Criterion bootlegs

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Martha

#26 Post by Martha » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:34 am

ombre du soleil wrote:what about pictures of the authentic discs?

if everyone sent in photos of different elements, someone could compile them and put them on a site.
Which would be super-handy for bootleggers, too!

skuhn8

#27 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:11 pm

gotta love those asian Criterion dvds on ebay

dx23

#28 Post by dx23 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:31 am

This auction is obviously a bootleg, but it''s incredible the way he described Salo and its "nastiness".

Cinesimilitude

#29 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:20 am

The numbers on the back of the Seven Samurai disc that I received are these...

DVDL-060880A]
DVDL-060880B]

It's odd, according to criteriondvd.com, the cover on the disc is from the first pressing, with the incorrect 203 minute running time, but the disc must be the second pressing. the restoration demo is on the disc, but not accessible by menu. can you guys post serial numbers for both the second and first pressing of Seven Samurai? possibly even menu shots of the OOP Seven Samurai?

Cinesimilitude

The Killer

#30 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:53 am

I need the serial numbers off an official release of The Killer, could someone please post them? and it has a mirror like silver ring in the middle, right?

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

The Killer

#31 Post by Lemdog » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:22 am

SncDthMnky wrote:I need the serial numbers off an official release of The Killer, could someone please post them? and it has a mirror like silver ring in the middle, right?

Cinesimilitude

The Killer

#32 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:45 am

thanks much

Edit: I knew a legit copy for 24.99 was too good to be true, oh well. it still looks legit on my shelf, and its not Like I'll be selling it anytime.

blindside8zao

#33 Post by blindside8zao » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:28 am

I'm looking at purchasing hard boiled in auction. I got the ebayer to send me scans of the insert plus disc (in case) and the cover/back of the DVD as he apparently has no camera. The scans are only so good and I definetly can't tell if there's a nimbus logo in the ring. Are there any ways I could tell just from looking at these pictures? For instance, on amazon I noticed that the entire background of the back side of the DVD case is printed in red. The picture I have has a great deal of black mixed with the red in the background. Is this a sign of a fake? Also, are there other things I should look for? Is anyone willing for me to forward the pics to them?

Cinesimilitude

#34 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:12 am

sdm@beyondneat.com

I'll compare them to my 2 bootlegs and let you know.

hopefully hes got a picture of the disc with some light source behind it, cause the easiest way to tell the bootlegs ive got form the authentic copy is that the bootlegs are very see-through.

blindside8zao

#35 Post by blindside8zao » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:53 pm

sweet. I won it and have it now. I'm pretty sure it's legit. 40 dollars total after shipping. SNC, those edit marks you saw were only in the picture. They don't appear on the insert itself. It must have been an effect of his scan. The only thing I'm concerned about is the insert. It's a bit flimsy. It appears that people at criterionforum.com are also reporting flimsy inserts with discs that otherwise seem perfectly legit. I think maybe it's just a difference from two different criterion runs. Is anyone else's insert sort of flimsy?

Also, I got an awesome early criterion catalogue!

blindside8zao

#36 Post by blindside8zao » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:05 pm

does anyone have Ritek Global Media as a logo on the back of their Blood for Dracula disc instead of Nimbus? A number of people on criterionforum.com report this, some of which claim to have gotten their copy from Borders. My copy has this disc but it also has rounded corners on the front cover insert. I was wondering if anyone had a similar copy they knew to be authentic.

Cinesimilitude

#37 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:27 pm

I originally thought you meant this company, Ritek USA, who specialize in blank media discs. but my google search led me to this article, which definitely points in the authentic direction.

blindside8zao

#38 Post by blindside8zao » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:21 pm

that's great. I found the first link too, but knew there was something wrong when I read people posting about their Borders bought copies.

blindside8zao

#39 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:40 am

anyone know if there are any flaws to the DVD Profiler program? Despite the article verifying the Ritek logo, the Profiler still doesn't recognize my DVD. Anyone else have this problem? I think maybe I just landed a fake.

Cinesimilitude

#40 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:17 am

bootleggers have gotten very savvy, I have a Killer bootleg that is 100% correct, but the font and size of the writing on the back is what tipped me off. well, that and the glossy paper insert.

Even if ritek global media IS on authentic discs, you coul have a bootleg that just duped that.

The Killers

#41 Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Can anyone tell me if the mirror ring copy of The Killers is legit and will it have a nimbus logo in it like the frosted ring. Don't want to get burned. Thank you

Gigi M.

The Killers

#42 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:17 pm

yourrealdad wrote:Can anyone tell me if the mirror ring copy of The Killers is legit and will it have a nimbus logo in it like the frosted ring. Don't want to get burned. Thank you
Yet it is.

BusterK.

#43 Post by BusterK. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:51 pm

Does anyone know how to prove that SEALED copies of The Killer and Hard-boiled aren't fake, is there a way to verify this without opening the dvds? I've just paid 75$ for both dvds, and i'd like some help to assess if they're genuine.

Thanks in advance!

Bleddyn Williams

#44 Post by Bleddyn Williams » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Ah, the "frosted ring" thing again! My original copy, bought very soon after release, had a frosted ring. Some time later, I had heard that The Killer might be deleted, so when I found a secondhand copy in local chain Newbury Comics for $13.99 I picked it up, thinking of selling it off later.

When I eventually did get around to having a friend put it up on eBay, the whole "frosted ring = legitimate, everything else = fake" mentality was in full effect.

I took a look at my spare copy, and sure enough, it had a silver ring. I looked the disc over very carefully, comparing it with my original. I found the disc and packaging identical, except for that ring. The nimbus markings and numbers were the same on both discs, and the paper and printing on the insert & cover were exactly the same.

My friend got emails asking about the ring, and in an attempt to help, wrote a little extra piece for the auction that did nothing but confuse everybody. I pulled the auction and still have that second copy knocking around.

From looking at my copies, though - I sincerely believe they are both genuine, and the belief that only frosted rings are genuine to be incorrect.

Feast on me

#45 Post by Feast on me » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:55 pm

If the security sticker on top says The Criterion Collection like this one

or like this then its a bootleg.

If it looks like this then it may be real. At the beginning criterion security stickers only said the name of the movie.

If it has the Special edition sticker

then it might be real.

Unfortunately the best way to really know if it's a bootleg is by verifying the disk itself for the nimbus logo, silver inner ring (though there are legit mirror ring versions) and serial numbers. By the price you paid however i would say that they are bootlegs.

BusterK.

#46 Post by BusterK. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Bleddyn Williams wrote:From looking at my copies, though - I sincerely believe they are both genuine, and the belief that only frosted rings are genuine to be incorrect.
Agreed.
Feast on me wrote:If the security sticker on top says The Criterion Collection like this one

or like this then its a bootleg.
Yes, this is the version i've got. Are you sure it's fake? Is there any official statement that supports yours? I had already seen bootleg dvds before, and they sure look like bootlegs (i.e. The picture on the cover isn't as sharp as it should be), but the one i've got really seems real to the nake eye.

I sent an email to Jon Mulvaney for an official way to assess a genuine version. I'll let you know when i get his answer.

Feast on me

#47 Post by Feast on me » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Feast on me wrote:If it looks like this then it may be real. At the beginning criterion security stickers only said the name of the movie.
Early criterion stickers didn't say The Criterion Collection on top, it was only later that this was implemented. I know people and have read posts of people who buy 'new' copies of Dead Ringers, Hard Boiled or The Killer that have The Criterion Collection printed on the security sticker on top and on closer inspection by opening the package they are bootlegs.

Again, the only surefire way to know if these are real is to open them and confirm the serial numbers with real ones and see if it has the nimbus logo, from what i gather you probably do not want to open them so this makes it difficult to confirm if they are legit.

I have legit copies of both and can try to help verify the authenticity if you send me high quality photos of the DVD you bought, PM me if you are interested.

Le Samouraï

#48 Post by Le Samouraï » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:08 pm

There is a good thread about these issues over at the "other" forum (criterionforum.COM that is).

As for the printing quality, it is true that a few years ago it was easier to discern between the real deal and the bootlegs. Now, however, the pirates are so good that they even copy the security stickers and the "special edition" stickers in some cases.

The only reliable way to tell is to compare the disc ID, print number, and pressing plant information situated on the disc with known originals.

Here is the thread at .com

BusterK.

#49 Post by BusterK. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 pm

Feast on me wrote:Again, the only surefire way to know if these are real is to open them and confirm the serial numbers with real ones and see if it has the nimbus logo.
Could you post a link with a real serial numbers list?

Le Samouraï

#50 Post by Le Samouraï » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:51 am

Just remembered another method I have read about: If you use DVDProfiler then copies apparently often are not recognized by disc ID whereas the originals are.