Criterion Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

#351 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 11, 2005 1:02 am

All boxes eventually get loose with time. You just have to play with it alot. :lol:

editman

#352 Post by editman » Wed May 11, 2005 3:22 am

I got mine from Amazon.com when it first came out. And yes it is a bit loose on the width to fit all 4 discs (which is always a pain and waste of space).

Perhaps the problem got fixed with the reprints?

Theodore R. Stockton

#353 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Wed May 11, 2005 3:31 am

My Dreyer box is wider than the discs but in the extra space was the super thick catalogue, the last before they went to checklists.

yumitree

#354 Post by yumitree » Wed May 11, 2005 4:19 am

i'm sure that the first pressing/few came with the aforementioned catalog and the later pressings took out the cataloges, but didn't resize/design the box.

jedgeco

#355 Post by jedgeco » Wed May 11, 2005 10:11 am

If you replace one of the single keepcases with a double-width alpha case (eg, Do the Right Thing, Royal Tennenbaums, et al.), it fits pretty much perfectly.

My guess is that the doc on the 4th disc was orignially not supposed to stand alone, but was to be included in a double case with one of the films, but when that was changed, they forgot to resize the box.

viciousliar

#356 Post by viciousliar » Wed May 11, 2005 10:32 am

I'm loose, I'm very loose - what about you, flixyflox? :wink:

exte

#357 Post by exte » Wed May 11, 2005 1:25 pm

I don't know what the fuss is all about. My Dreyer box is perfect height and shape. Everything fits in snugly, not ridiculously tight or too loose. What I might have noticed, though, is the box has come in different colors, hasn't it? Mine's the light grey. Aren't there two more, dark grey and near white? Anyway...

foofighters7

#358 Post by foofighters7 » Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 pm

Huh.... your box must be old to be grey. That must suck. hehe

at any rate, i have always wondered about this, because mine was quite loose as well. I always thought something was awry, but figured it must just be that someone didnt size things up as well as they should have.

katjakassin

#359 Post by katjakassin » Sun May 15, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah, I just really wanted to know if anyone elsehad gotten a oddly shaped box (Though I really didn't post this thread here, but thanks for whomever helped me out).

I had thought that maybe there was a booklet or something (Kind of like Burden of Dreams or Short Cuts), but when I opened one of the cases, said twenty some page booklet was in it. So I guess it would make sense that a catalouge would fit in there. It was just weird to have a boxset slightly off sized when all my other Criterion boxes are perfect.

Not that it has anything to do with Criterion, or that I'm complaining about it. It was just odd, and at least a few others have had the same thing. One thing I will say though, I don't like the spine side of said box. It just looks like a big silverish thing that I don't have a name for. But I guess not every single thing can be perfect.