Heart-Wrenching: The Cluny Brown Cover Story

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Message
Author
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#51 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm

ballmouse wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm
I was curious what the original poster from 1946 looked like. It actually has a similar alien, robotic touch.

Image
Looks more like Paulette Goddard than Jennifer Jones or her robot buddy

black&huge
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 am

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#52 Post by black&huge » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm
ballmouse wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm
I was curious what the original poster from 1946 looked like. It actually has a similar alien, robotic touch.

Image
Looks more like Paulette Goddard than Jennifer Jones or her robot buddy
Jennifer Jones as The Cluny in the Radiator and Charles Boyer as Jimmy Stewart as Jude Law as Gigolo Joe in Ernst Lubistch's "Whatever this movie is titled, it's gonna have an awfully troubled promotional artwork history"

User avatar
TwoTecs
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#53 Post by TwoTecs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 pm

Why doesn't Criterion use original posters for the cover art like Indicator? Posters that came before the photographed floating heads era of poster design would all look great for covers.

User avatar
Lemdog
The Man with no Title
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:43 pm

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#54 Post by Lemdog » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 pm

Ok Criterion, just change it back. I am happy to see that the artwork is so bad that it deserves its own thread.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#55 Post by movielocke » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:17 am

I think it’s an improvement, and if they can’t rework the key commissioned art, this is acceptable.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#56 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 am

TwoTecs wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 pm
Why doesn't Criterion use original posters for the cover art like Indicator? Posters that came before the photographed floating heads era of poster design would all look great for covers.
Oh I don't know. I do like the old posters but I also very much like the commissioned art work Criterion uses for many of the classic hollywood titles. Granted Cluny Brown is at the bottom of list, but my three favorites are Mildred Pierce, Stagecoach and His Girl Friday which to me are all exceptional

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Heart-Wrenching: the Cluny Brown Cover Story

#57 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:32 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 am
TwoTecs wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 pm
Why doesn't Criterion use original posters for the cover art like Indicator? Posters that came before the photographed floating heads era of poster design would all look great for covers.
Oh I don't know. I do like the old posters but I also very much like the commissioned art work Criterion uses for many of the classic hollywood titles. Granted Cluny Brown is at the bottom of list, but my three favorites are Mildred Pierce, Stagecoach and His Girl Friday which to me are all exceptional
It's a shame Criterion never adopted the reversible cover like other labels so we could have the best (or maybe worst) of both worlds.

User avatar
Gregory
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm

Re: Heart-Wrenching: The Cluny Brown Cover Story

#58 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:33 am

It's incredibly weird the way her torso is so boxy, almost a perfect rectangle. Not being able to see a right arm in the new version makes it even stranger than it was. It looks like her blouse is stuck to the wrench and being pulled to create those unnatural lines.

These geometric and robotic qualities remind me of someone else...
Image

criterionsnob
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: Heart-Wrenching: The Cluny Brown Cover Story

#59 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 pm

All they have to do now is make the Looney Tunes circle the 'O' in BROWN. Then the ugly artwork will be so small we'll just forget it's there.

User avatar
Gregory
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#60 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Image
And just look at how poorly the circle fits the elbow at the bottom. The circle overlaps the elbow on one side and there's a gap on the other.
Personal aesthetic tastes about the cover on the whole naturally vary, but that part of it is just sloppy design, plain and simple.

User avatar
Graphist
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:18 am
Location: New York City

Re: Heart-Wrenching: The Cluny Brown Cover Story

#61 Post by Graphist » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Don’t see much of an improvement here, honestly. I don’t know but maybe I would’ve tried a composition where the film title is taking pretty much all the available space on the cover and a female hand with a wrench is tinkering one of the letters. And maybe brought back the wallpaper from cover #1 to warm up the look.

I haven’t seen it, so is her character left-handed in the film?

User avatar
HinkyDinkyTruesmith
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: Heart-Wrenching: The Cluny Brown Cover Story

#62 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:02 pm

I just realized the pun in this thread's title (a bit oblivious, me) and want to say kudos.

But, no, Cluny does not seem to be left-handed in the film.

Post Reply