Eclipse (was Criterion Cult Film Sub Company)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
the dancing kid

#1 Post by the dancing kid » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:59 pm

IIRC, there was some talk awhile back of a Criterion boxset of Richard Gordon films, including this and The Atomic Submarine, and I believe one other that I can't remember. I forget where the rumor came from, so I don't know if it was a reputable source, but it was posted on the old board.

Fidelio

#2 Post by Fidelio » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:36 am

These were posted as in-production by Criterion over at Fangoria. They've been on their "Future Undated" list for ages: (link)

THE HAUNTED STRANGLER [Grip of the Strangler] (1958)
FIRST MAN INTO SPACE (1959)
THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE (1959)
CORRIDORS OF BLOOD (1962)

DrewReiber

#3 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:33 am

And just last year Richard Gordon did an interview in a magazine (can't remember the title, but I can look it up later this week) where he talked about the Criterion titles and upcoming Elite Entertainment special editions. It seems to me that the truly B-level cult films take an awful long time to get released when it comes to Criterion, especially when you consider a title like Equinox. I don't know why they're waiting so long, but maybe we'll finally see them in a month like October.

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:53 am

What is so important about the Richard Gordon films that they need to be in the Criterion Collection and not just released plain-wrap by HVE? Aren't most of his films... er... rubbish? I'm not having a dig at his fans, it's juts that practically all of his films have low ratings at IMDb, something which is rare for films released on the CC.

PS: I love 'trash' films, B-movies, Euro-Horror, obscure sci-fi and garage films, but I can't see 10,000 people shelling out $50-70 for a Criterion boxed set of Richard Gordon films. Bring on a Peter Watkins, Bill Viola or Frederick Wiseman box before that happens!

Martha

#5 Post by Martha » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:46 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:PS: I love 'trash' films, B-movies, Euro-Horror, obscure sci-fi and garage films, but I can't see 10,000 people shelling out $50-70 for a Criterion boxed set of Richard Gordon films. Bring on a Peter Watkins, Bill Viola or Frederick Wiseman box before that happens!

Well, it's not as if Criterion are sitting on the rights to say, a bunch of Wiseman films and choosing to put Gordon ahead of them, or something. I'm sure that if Wiseman was willing to part with the rights to his stuff, Criterion would be first in line.

That said, I sort of like the idea of really careful, kickass versions of what most consider b-movies...It's sometimes nice to see time and and attention devoted to something that has maybe never meant that much to many people outside the creators. Hey, you don't have to buy it!

oldsheperd

#6 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:42 am

"A continuing series of classic and important contemporary films."

B-Movies can be very influential.

swingo

#7 Post by swingo » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:54 am

oldsheperd wrote:"A continuing series of classic and important contemporary films."

B-Movies can be very influential.

The release of Carnival of Souls proves your point...

Axel.

Theodore R. Stockton

#8 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:16 pm

I wrote about this and Jon said the great "not on schedule".

Michael

#9 Post by Michael » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:21 pm

The release of Carnival of Souls proves your point...
What?!? Carnival of Souls a B-movie? No frigging way! Low budget or not, this film oozes the same class as a Kubrick film.

Sai

#10 Post by Sai » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:37 pm

swingo wrote:The release of Carnival of Souls proves your point...

Axel.
I wouldn't call Carnival of Souls a B-movie, except if your definition of a B-movie only depends on budget. If I had to name an influential B-movie in the collection I'd much rather say Fiend Without a Face.

But we're going off-topic here.

Narshty

#11 Post by Narshty » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:49 pm

Michael wrote:What?!? Carnival of Souls a B-movie? No frigging way! Low budget or not, this film oozes the same class as a Kubrick film.
I really like it too Michael, but, c'mon...

indy81

#12 Post by indy81 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:17 pm

I just interviewed Criterion producer Susan Arosteguy for the Velvet Light Trap film journal and she mentioned Criterion was working on launching a new cult movie line. It seems likely that the Gordon films (and possibly the Japanese horror films recently bought) will be released under this new banner, whenever it comes out. She didn't offer any details, unfortunately.

Brad Schauer

FilmFanSea

#13 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:35 pm

Welcome, Brad---very interesting stuff. Criterion Cult Classics? No doubt selling at a lower price point, with eye-popping, fanboy-attracting artwork. Seems like a good bottom line decision, but I hope it won't affect their classic title output.

Narshty

#14 Post by Narshty » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:40 pm

indy81 wrote:I just interviewed Criterion producer Susan Arosteguy for the Velvet Light Trap film journal and she mentioned Criterion was working on launching a new cult movie line. It seems likely that the Gordon films (and possibly the Japanese horror films recently bought) will be released under this new banner, whenever it comes out. She didn't offer any details, unfortunately.
Ah, tremendous! With all the wacky crap she's sneaked into the collection, that'll be her pet project, no doubt.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#15 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:49 pm

Do you think this is enough to justify a thread speculating just on cult films and horror titles possibly invovled with this?

Hopefully, this explains the long delay on "Equinox."

-BJ

Lino

#16 Post by Lino » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:19 am

Criterion should do the same for classic animation. There's plenty of old classics (mostly foreign) just begging to be released in properly subtitled english editions. Just look at what the japanese are doing for classic czech animation - I mean, they've got ALL of Jiri Trnka and practically all of Karel Zeman's work out on DVD!! And where are they in the West, I ask you?

Anonymous

#17 Post by Anonymous » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:33 pm

From Glenn Ericson/DVD Savant:

"Hello ... I've been hearing some interesting rumors. Criterion may be branching off with some kind of 'cult film' sub-company soon, which if the quality stays high augurs well for lovers of interesting fantastic films.

Apparently it's no rumor; Anchor Bay has inherited most of what was the Mario Bava Collection done by Image (roughly 1999 through 2003). Tim Lucas says they'll be remastered and re-tooled from the ground up, with rarities like Rabid Dogs put out in more than one version. "

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/index.html

FYI ~ After reading it a few times, I think the two paragraphs are unrelated.

solaris72

#18 Post by solaris72 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:50 pm

This has me excited...recall the Jodorowsky rumor that appeared shortly after it was announced that he had settled things with Allen Klein...plus the recent OOP status of Fando & Lis...a Jodorowsky box would be a great way to launch the Criterion Cult Collection.

g30

#19 Post by g30 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:12 pm

This is very, very exciting. How can we find out more about this?

I feel very silly posting this reply but I had to say something.

G30

Martha

#20 Post by Martha » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:19 pm

indy81 wrote:I just interviewed Criterion producer Susan Arosteguy for the Velvet Light Trap film journal and she mentioned Criterion was working on launching a new cult movie line. It seems likely that the Gordon films (and possibly the Japanese horror films recently bought) will be released under this new banner, whenever it comes out. She didn't offer any details, unfortunately.

Brad Schauer

Gregory

#21 Post by Gregory » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:45 pm

That's Image's niche (e.g. they have a Trnka DVD containing six of his films) and Criterion is apparently unwilling to compete with them for animation releases.

godardslave

#22 Post by godardslave » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:59 pm

will they have their own spine numbers? :x

The Digital McGuffin

#23 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:27 pm

I'd be quite suprised if they didn't have spine numbers unfortunately. But then, I'd imagine there are quite a lot of obsessive individuals amongst cult fandom anyway, so it probably would be quite a lucrative and logical way for Criterion to market them.

Didn't Criterion actually try to get a cult series set up a few years back but it didn't get off the ground?

Dylan

#24 Post by Dylan » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:31 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the long-awaited B-monster film "Equinox" is the first title under this new division of Criterion.

With that said, it would be very good if this label released some black and white vintage horror. I know there are other great old horror films of the past that have been unavailable for years. This may be a good outlet for those.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#25 Post by Tribe » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:02 pm

CC must be loaded with stuff that would otherwise cause these films to not see the light of day for a long time. I don't see any branching out sub-label to be terribly long-term and/or with a frequent release schedule. It'll probably be more like the Merchant-Ivory Collection....which is a sub-label when you think about it.

Tribe