It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:52 pm 
Dot Com Dom

It's not really fair to compare this to any actual Lear adaptation, considering Godard famously only adapted the first and last three pages of the play

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:54 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
It's not really fair to compare this to any actual Lear adaptation, considering Godard famously only adapted the first and last three pages of the play

;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
I really disliked Godard's Lear, but then I only saw Breathless and Vivre Sa Vie beforehand. Does knowledge and familiarity with his earlier work make his difficult 80s work more palpable?
I most likely would have disliked it too, like a lot of Godard's output, if I hadn't seen it in the context of carefully going through his oeuvre with several books in hand. Makes all the difference. I'm sure that's true to varying degrees for a lot of film directors, but never more so this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:43 pm 

That is one sad melange of poorly juxtaposed typefaces. The title logotype looks better suited to an '80s hair metal band's album cover.
Admittedly, I've not yet seen the film. Could the heavy metal style font be intentional?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm 

Rayon Vert wrote:
if I hadn't seen it in the context of carefully going through his oeuvre with several books in hand.

To get the fullest possible appreciation, book reading is definetly essential. But one can get by just fine without that, as long as more than a few viewings are allowed. It's just that Lear is probably not the best intro for this period.

dda1996a wrote:
I really disliked Godard's Lear, but then I only saw Breathless and Vivre Sa Vie beforehand. Does knowledge and familiarity with his earlier work make his difficult 80s work more palpable?

Only in the sense of knowing ahead of time that whatever detectable spikiness in his sixties work is turned up way past eleven later on.

I'd go with any one of these first before jumping in elsewhere in this part of his career: Detective, First Name Carmen, Passion, Detective, Oh Woe Is Me, Hail Mary, Notre Musique, Forever Mozart, In Praise of Love.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 pm 

xoconostle wrote:
Admittedly, I've not yet seen the film. Could the heavy metal style font be intentional?

It doesn't reflect the film. It's as disconnected as the tag line beneath it. But you've got the right idea. It does reflect the time period. Dokken rules!*

*Given that the film came out in '87, a few years after Dokken's brief heyday, Whitesnake may be the better example.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:42 pm 

xoconostle wrote:

That is one sad melange of poorly juxtaposed typefaces. The title logotype looks better suited to an '80s hair metal band's album cover.

Canon Group conceive the 80's title logotype onto the poster so they could lurked the Chuck Norris audience into seeing a Jean-Luc Godard picture!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:31 pm 

Jesus, that looks like a logo of an '80s children's cartoon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:37 pm 

It also has a bit of
to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:50 pm 

Robot opens also immediately jumped to my head. It's just a typical 80s typeface

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 pm 

It reminds me of the Cinemetal T shirts that the IFC Center in Manhattan sells.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:17 pm 

Hilarious. Love the Ozu and the Ingmar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 am 

It's got some of this too:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 pm 

That reminds me that, as mentioned in this post, the Fassbinder T-shirt turns up in a scene in Gaspar Noé's Love! (NSFW: Language)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm 

Those shirts were created by the fine people at Cinefile Video in Los Angeles. They also make a beautiful Philip Seymour Hoffman tote bag.