Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
CSM126
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am
Location: The Room
Contact:

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#576 Post by CSM126 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:34 am

SOTL is ok, I guess but it’s too cute for my tastes. A Rorschach blot made of blood doesn’t even seem to connect with the film (unless we just assume Lecter used Rorschachs on his patients, I guess?). I would’ve preferred either the poster art or even criterion’s simple-but-effective laserdisc cover art (Clarice looking through the glass with Lecter reflected so he seems to be peering over her shoulder).

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#577 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am

It's meant to be the death's-head hawkmoth from the film mixed with blood. It's one of the most astoundingly simple things Criterion could have done. Unless someone wanted lambs with duct taped mouths as the cover.

User avatar
What A Disgrace
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#578 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am

You know you've been spoiled by Arrow Video when you look at the specs for Night of the Living Dead and go "where's the 100 page hardback book?!"

User avatar
Malickite
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: United States

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#579 Post by Malickite » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

Boosmahn wrote:
Ribs wrote:Night of the Living Dead is surely a digipak, right?
Both Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs will be.
Goddammit.

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#580 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Here is Sean Phillips interior and booklet cover art for Night of the Living Dead:

Image 1

Image 2

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#581 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 pm

dwk wrote:Here is Sean Phillips interior and booklet cover art for Night of the Living Dead:

Image 1

Image 2
Image 2 would have been a better cover.

User avatar
CSM126
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am
Location: The Room
Contact:

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#582 Post by CSM126 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Big Ben wrote:It's meant to be the death's-head hawkmoth from the film mixed with blood. It's one of the most astoundingly simple things Criterion could have done. Unless someone wanted lambs with duct taped mouths as the cover.
I’m aware. I still think it’s too cute.

User avatar
bearcuborg
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Philadelphia via Chicago

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#583 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:30 pm

I’ve come to accept that most Criterion art is gonna be terrible, and while this new batch is no exception for the most part, I feel like it should only be Ben and Barbara on the Living Dead cover.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#584 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm

In contrast, I think it would be better with just the hands.

User avatar
Feego
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#585 Post by Feego » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm

This FTW:

Image

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#586 Post by Finch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
dwk wrote:Image 2
Image 2 would have been a better cover.
Image 2 is just perfect. By comparison the actual cover feels very cluttered.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#587 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Image 2 is basically the cover for the Mill Creek Blu-ray that just came out.

felipe
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#588 Post by felipe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Silence of the Lambs is awful. That could've been the poster for a dozen cheap horror movies, or maybe a new season of AHS, but it's just not SOTL.

User avatar
Feego
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#589 Post by Feego » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm

dwk wrote:Here is Sean Phillips interior and booklet cover art for Night of the Living Dead:

Image 1

Image 2
Even Image 1 would have made a pretty snazzy cover if cropped correctly:

Image

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#590 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:57 am

That looks great!

User avatar
Morbii
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:38 am

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#591 Post by Morbii » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 am

Agreed. Someone email Mulvaney stat!

User avatar
Graphist
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:18 am
Location: New York City

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#592 Post by Graphist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm

CSM126 wrote:SOTL is ok, I guess but it’s too cute for my tastes. A Rorschach blot made of blood doesn’t even seem to connect with the film (unless we just assume Lecter used Rorschachs on his patients, I guess?). I would’ve preferred either the poster art or even criterion’s simple-but-effective laserdisc cover art (Clarice looking through the glass with Lecter reflected so he seems to be peering over her shoulder).
Yes, I agree with another poster about it being a death’s-head hawkmoth, but with a twist depicting it as a Rorschach ink drawing to echo the psychological undertones in the film. It is one of the best recent covers, though the type could have been a bit smaller in relation to the illustration. (I wonder if a black background would have looked much better though.)

User avatar
Graphist
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:18 am
Location: New York City

Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#593 Post by Graphist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I like the inside drawings much better than the cover one.

The Tom Jones cover feels unfinished and that typeface goes neither with the film nor with that particular drawing.

A bit upset Malle’s film did not get a new cover.

User avatar
geoffcowgill
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:48 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#594 Post by geoffcowgill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Graphist wrote:
CSM126 wrote:SOTL is ok, I guess but it’s too cute for my tastes. A Rorschach blot made of blood doesn’t even seem to connect with the film (unless we just assume Lecter used Rorschachs on his patients, I guess?). I would’ve preferred either the poster art or even criterion’s simple-but-effective laserdisc cover art (Clarice looking through the glass with Lecter reflected so he seems to be peering over her shoulder).
Yes, I agree with another poster about it being a death’s-head hawkmoth, but with a twist depicting it as a Rorschach ink drawing to echo the psychological undertones in the film. It is one of the best recent covers, though the type could have been a bit smaller in relation to the illustration. (I wonder if a black background would have looked much better though.)
It strikes me as a less successful version of the Don't Look Now cover's approach.


User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#596 Post by Ribs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Hoo boy, Election's a *real* miss altogether.

User avatar
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#597 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Monterey Pop, however, is even better than I thought. The liner art reminds me of the freakout scene from Belladonna Of Sadness.

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#598 Post by cdnchris » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Ribs wrote:Hoo boy, Election's a *real* miss altogether.
This is one where it's even worse when you have it in your hands.

User avatar
kcota17
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#599 Post by kcota17 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Is Election a booklet or fold out?

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#600 Post by cdnchris » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:35 pm

It's a fold out

Post Reply