Criterion U.K.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
TMDaines

Criterion UK

#26 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Not surprised at this. They already have Lloyd silents on the UK iTunes store.

Be interesting to see the pricing. You don't see Criterions for less than $20 often in the States but that wouldn't be anything to shout about here. MoCs and Arrows are easy to pick up for less than a tenner if you wait a couple of months.
Last edited by TMDaines on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Criterion UK

#27 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:07 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:I hereby make a request to change the thread title to "I know the cinephiles were all alone 'til Criterion hit UK".
It would Clash with the other threads =;

perkizitore

#28 Post by perkizitore » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Although I don't have an OCD with collection uniformity and Region B discs would be a huge bonus, I can't see myself selling the US discs to get the UK ones (other members have already mentioned the horrible BBFC logos). On the other hand, I have to seriously consider which side of the pond I will be getting future releases from, especially considering the cheaper prices and faster shipping that Amazon UK offers (maybe it will be cheaper even for Americans to order from the UK, considering VAT removal will easily offset shipping costs)

mistakaninja

#29 Post by mistakaninja » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Zavvi have the first wave up at £27.99. Hopefully that's pessimism.

FrauBlucher

#30 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:39 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Criterion will release region B exclusive titles.

kidc85

#31 Post by kidc85 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Kevin (Eureka Entertainment) wrote:Seeing as they have far more money than us and other U.K indies, I'd hardly class this a "yes" moment. If you want companies like us to go out of business because criterion throw tonnes of money at stuff and price us out of the acquisition market, then go and celebrate, but I really don't see this as a good thing for the uk independent sector.
Taken from the Blu Ray Forum's MOC thread.

TMDaines

Criterion UK

#32 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:34 pm

It would be nice to see MoC go back to doing what they did best. They used to release a far more diverse set of titles than both they and Criterion do now. Go hoover up some of the recent silent restorations. Them being priced out of the major labels' catalogues and the standard arthouse canon sounds great to me.

eerik

#33 Post by eerik » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Great news. Will surely pick up Speedy. Hope they'll be able to bring all their Lloyd (and Chaplin) releases to UK.

L.A.

#34 Post by L.A. » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Been thinking whether A Brighter Summer Day might be in this slate, or is this possibly coming from another label like Eureka?

Minkin

#35 Post by Minkin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Kevin (Eureka Entertainment) wrote:Seeing as they have far more money than us and other U.K indies, I'd hardly class this a "yes" moment. If you want companies like us to go out of business because criterion throw tonnes of money at stuff and price us out of the acquisition market, then go and celebrate, but I really don't see this as a good thing for the uk independent sector.
This seems hilarious and unnecessarily bitchy - especially coming from a company that owes most of its existence thanks to Criterion (providing all of those restorations, supplements, copy+paste editions, etc). I guess their former partnership turned sour (probably after Nick left; + the shrinking market and not wanting to lose money on expensive restorations) and now Kevin feels the need to lash out, but it just comes across as pathetic. The UK market isn't particularly crowded (especially compared to the US market). I don't think MoC should blame Criterion for its own terrible business strategies (see how other UK labels have grown so strong lately - even the likes of Second Run). MoC already has a very strong fanbase, why not go after all the Cohen/FA restorations; or the hundreds of Twilight Time releases; or more obscure foreign titles (not like they wouldn't sell as limited editions)? Its not like there's any shortage of restorations or films that haven't been released...

I wonder two things from the announcement:

- Will there be Region B exclusives? Such as Twilight Time's Sony films? (I still think most of this UK move is thanks to Sony).

- Will Criterion.com actually start selling things abroad / will editions be region A+B or free?
Last edited by Minkin on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rapta

#36 Post by rapta » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:15 pm

But...Artificial Eye are releasing this soon too. Are the rights for that one with different companies? Could be the case.

Basically my worries are the same as Kevin's. I hope they don't crush the diversity we have with the current UK labels - Eureka, Arrow, BFI, Artificial Eye, Second Run, Network, Second Sight, Third Window, StudioCanal, New Wave, Soda, Axiom, Signal One etc. I'm happy with them plugging the gaps in regards to studio titles from Sony, Disney, and possibly some Warner (right?) but I hope they don't start stepping on everyones toes without a worry in the world.

Also, pricing is another worry. Let's hope they keep things sensible, or else I will be very picky with what I buy from them. I regularly buy Eureka, BFI and Arrow titles because they're sensibly priced and very, very reliable. But I often have to wait on StudioCanal to drop their prices a bit because they often ask too much for a 1-disc booklet-free release. I'm thinking Criterion will do the same.
L.A. wrote:Been thinking whether A Brighter Summer Day might be in this slate, or is this possibly coming from another label like Eureka?
I was really, really hoping Eureka would release it. It has been rumoured for the last couple of years, as have a few other WCP-related titles. I wonder what happened there, or whether anything's in the works. We know there should be at least one Taiwanese title coming from them sometime in the future, but word on the street is that it'll be a Hou title.
Last edited by rapta on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#37 Post by peerpee » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:26 pm

That's a disappointing reaction from Kevin at Eureka.
TMDaines wrote:It would be nice to see MoC go back to doing what they did best. They used to release a far more diverse set of titles than both they and Criterion do now. Go hoover up some of the recent silent restorations. Them being priced out of the major labels' catalogues and the standard arthouse canon sounds great to me.
Couldn't agree more!

L.A.

#38 Post by L.A. » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:35 pm

rapta wrote:
L.A. wrote:Been thinking whether A Brighter Summer Day might be in this slate, or is this possibly coming from another label like Eureka?
I was really, really hoping Eureka would release it. It has been rumoured for the last couple of years, as have a few other WCP-related titles. I wonder what happened there, or whether anything's in the works. We know there should be at least one Taiwanese title coming from them sometime in the future, but word on the street is that it'll be a Hou title.
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully Eureka would do it.

I have the Criterion pre-ordered but I'd prefer Region-B or Region-Free releases. Wouldn't want to double-dip if there is going to be an alternative at a later period.

dwk

#39 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Don't know if this will or will not come out in the UK, but I imagine that releases like it (and the Apu Trilogy) are a big factor in the move. They'll make more money selling the Blu-rays and digital downloads from their own remasters/restorations themselves than they'd make licensing the a master to MoC, Arrow, etc.

Eureka

#40 Post by Eureka » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Minkin wrote:
This seems hilarious and unnecessarily bitchy - especially coming from a company that owes most of its existence thanks to Criterion (providing all of those restorations, supplements, copy+paste editions, etc). I guess their former partnership turned sour (probably after Nick left; + the shrinking market and not wanting to lose money on expensive restorations) and now Kevin feels the need to lash out, but it just comes across as pathetic. The UK market isn't particularly crowded (especially compared to the US market). I don't think MoC should blame Criterion for its own terrible business strategies (see how other UK labels have grown so strong lately - even the likes of Second Run). MoC already has a very strong fanbase, why not go after all the Cohen/FA restorations; or the hundreds of Twilight Time releases; or more obscure foreign titles (not like they wouldn't sell as limited editions)? Its not like there's any shortage of restorations or films that haven't been released...

I wonder two things from the announcement:

- Will there be Region B exclusives? Such as Twilight Time's Sony films? (I still think most of this UK move is thanks to Sony).

- Will Criterion.com actually start selling things abroad / will editions be region A+B or free?
It wasn't intended as bitchy, and might be easy to take out out of context (as the "yes" remark was a direct reply to another comment), just me having a bit of sulk because it means things get even harder than they are already in the UK – BFI, Arrow, Artificial Eye, ourselves and others are all chasing the same products at the moment, it just means another competitor – one that has more weight to throw around than all of us – in an already very tough market.

At at the same time I'm also a huge Criterion fan and follow their announcements with as much excitement as I'm sure people follow ours. As you point out MoC probably wouldn't exist in the same way it does now without Criterion. But having been priced out of a few renewals by them recently it grates at the same time. I wish them all the best with the venture and just hope that we can all coexist in the marketplace.

Kevin

peerpee
not perpee

#41 Post by peerpee » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Eureka wrote: It wasn't intended as bitchy, and might be easy to take out out of context (as the "yes" remark was a direct reply to another comment), just me having a bit of sulk because it means things get even harder than they are already in the UK – BFI, Arrow, Artificial Eye, ourselves and others are all chasing the same products at the moment, it just means another competitor – one that has more weight to throw around than all of us – in an already very tough market.

At at the same time I'm also a huge Criterion fan and follow their announcements with as much excitement as I'm sure people follow ours. As you point out MoC probably wouldn't exist in the same way it does now without Criterion. But having been priced out of a few renewals by them recently it grates at the same time. I wish them all the best with the venture and just hope that we can all coexist in the marketplace.

Kevin
If you're being outbid on renewals, I can understand how that grates. When you've promoted titles for 7-10 years and had theatrical screenings, etc, and then that suddenly disappears, it does feel unfair.

The worry is that Criterion UK will be directly pushing up the prices on titles for *all* UK indies, regardless of whether Criterion UK get them or not.

Professor Wagstaff

#42 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 pm

If it's a small consolation, Kevin, I finally went region free and I'm buying lots of Eureka titles. You've put out so much great stuff (especially Fellini films that haven't gone blu in the US). Happy to add these to my collection.

fatboyslim142

#43 Post by fatboyslim142 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:22 am

Hopefully we'll get to see Bergman's films get BD releases here, including the TV stuff in the full TV versions & NOT the stupid butchered cinema versions, UNLESS Tartan still own the rights which would be bloody annoying.

MichaelB

#44 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:28 am

They're hardly "stupid butchered cinema versions" when they were created and signed off by the director himself.

fatboyslim142

#45 Post by fatboyslim142 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:56 am

MichaelB wrote:They're hardly "stupid butchered cinema versions" when they were created and signed off by the director himself.
Fair enough. I didn't know that the director had approved of the cinema versions.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#46 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:56 am

It actually makes me wonder plenty of things : will they force other labels to look for titles Criterion usually dont do ? Will Criterion be able to do the titles they're doing in the US ? Other titles exclusive to the UK ? Will it only mostly be Sony titles ? How many titles will they do per months ?
It could be much different and actually smaller that their output in the US.

MichaelB

Criterion UK

#47 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:00 am

Criterion certainly can't release much of their US catalogue in the UK because someone else will have the rights.

Look what happened when Arrow opened a US arm - there were a handful of back-catalogue releases (Blind Woman's Curse, Mark of the Devil, Spider Baby, The Beast, Immoral Tales, The Stuff), but most pre-2015 releases remain firmly UK-only.

And just as Arrow can't market The Killers (either version), Sweet Smell of Success, Time Bandits, Videodrome and many others in the US, so Criterion won't be able to bring them out in the UK unless the relevant rights lapse.

captveg

#48 Post by captveg » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:26 pm

I wonder if this opens the door for StudioCanal titles to return to Criterion. IIRC, one of the main reasons all those SC titles went OOP was because Criterion was a US only market, and SC wanted more say in how their brand was presented worldwide. Lionsgate gave them that in the US, but then quickly stopped bothering with releases altogether. With Criterion in both the US and the UK now, it stands to reason that SC could be more willing to work with them again as they could release (or re-release) titles in both territories simultaneously.

tomN245

#49 Post by tomN245 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:42 pm

captveg wrote:With Criterion in both the US and the UK now, it stands to reason that SC could be more willing to work with them again as they could release (or re-release) titles in both territories simultaneously.
It'd be cool if they do! They should atleast be able to get the rights to Chungking Express in the UK since the Artificial Eye copy is OOP.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#50 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm going to be the pessimist here and predict that all this will mean are concurrent editions of select titles (like Sony licenses) for a year or so, at which point this venture will go the way of dual format editions.