Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Caligula
Carthago delenda est

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#551 Post by Caligula » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:14 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Broken Embraces, Bad Education, Talk to Her, Volver, High Heels, Kika, Flower of My Secret, Live Flesh, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Kika, Talk to Her, Volver
I see nine titles in the list (three repeated)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#552 Post by tenia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:57 am

I don't believe all Almodovar restorations are finished yet. They won't be released by TF1 on BD before 2016 anyway, but I know they have had some issues with the material which made them delaying their output on this project.

brianstorm33

#553 Post by brianstorm33 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:39 am

chatterjees wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:With Don't Look Back coming up I wonder what rock films/documentaries they're looking at doing next. Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii would be an ideal candidate. Has some cult status, the band doesn't have 100% ownership of it and there has been restoration work towards a Blu-ray release going on for awhile now.
In addition to what you suggested, I would love to have Criterion release of No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (2005) coupled with I'm Not There (2007).
I think Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars film would be great. I'm almost certain the DVD went OOP a while back. Plus its by D.A. Pennebaker and he's already got a few in the collection.

justeleblanc

#554 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Has anyone asked Criterion about Elaine May's HEARTBREAK KID and did they ever give a response?

Lowry_Sam

#555 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:04 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote: Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii would be an ideal candidate. Has some cult status, the band doesn't have 100% ownership of it and there has been restoration work towards a Blu-ray release going on for awhile now.
Pink Floyd The Wall is a more likely candidate. It's the one film of a rock concept album more iconic than Quadrophenia & it's the one Pink Floyd album whose anniversary (Immersion Set) re-release was noticeably absent a blu-ray. I think the film is one of Warner's MGM titles.

artfilmfan

#556 Post by artfilmfan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Here's another vote for a Criterion release of Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii . I watched the DVD of it (the original version) only recently and liked it very much. It would be great if Criterion can release the original version of it.

flyonthewall2983

#557 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote: Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii would be an ideal candidate. Has some cult status, the band doesn't have 100% ownership of it and there has been restoration work towards a Blu-ray release going on for awhile now.
Pink Floyd The Wall is a more likely candidate. It's the one film of a rock concept album more iconic than Quadrophenia & it's the one Pink Floyd album whose anniversary (Immersion Set) re-release was noticeably absent a blu-ray. I think the film is one of Warner's MGM titles.
Sony, Pink Floyd's American label, owns the video rights (Warner Bros. owns it theatrically). EMI released the Immersion box sets.

Universal owns Pompeii. As it happens they are also releasing the DVD/Blu-ray of the recent Wall film so they might have interest in a Pompeii film themselves. Then again I figured Apple/EMI would want to have released A Hard Days' Night too.

CSM126

#558 Post by CSM126 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Considering that Hard Day's Night was licensed from a private collector, I don't think Apple/EMI had any say in the matter.

flyonthewall2983

#559 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:07 pm

But I would think they would have had more leverage in licensing it themselves than Criterion would.

rspaight

#560 Post by rspaight » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 am

Pink Floyd's audio recordings have all reverted to Parlophone (now part of Warner Bros.) -- nothing's on Sony any more in the US (except maybe the Endless River thing from last year). I don't think the Wall movie being on Sony is necessarily connected with the former deal for the albums in the US being on Columbia. That said, it does seem that a BD is overdue for that one.

flyonthewall2983

#561 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Sony released Gilmour's recent solo album, and will put out the soundtrack to the Wall movie in a few weeks.
brianstorm33 wrote:I think Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars film would be great. I'm almost certain the DVD went OOP a while back. Plus its by D.A. Pennebaker and he's already got a few in the collection.
I haven't seen it but have heard there was some major quality issues with the DVD, which is probably why it went out of print. Bowie's in a few films in the CC as an actor, so it would be fitting if they did have a document like that too.

R0lf

#562 Post by R0lf » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:51 am

Oh good. I was re watching LAW OF DESIRE and LABYRINTH OF PASSION a few days ago and thinking how great they'd both look on blu ray.

Roscoe

#563 Post by Roscoe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Just saw this in a TCM e-mail about the 2016 Festival -- just wondering if it bodes well for that long-rumored Criterion release:

SHANGHAI EXPRESS (1932) World Premiere Restoration
The pairing of director Josef von Sternberg and actress Marlene Dietrich turns this melodramatic tale of bandits and ladies of easy virtue into one of the most exotic experiences in film history, shown in a new restoration presented in collaboration with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

jwd5275

#564 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 pm

The burning question is whether it is the uncut version...

George Drooly

#565 Post by George Drooly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Whatever happened to the possibility of The World's Greatest Sinner?

dwk

#566 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:43 pm

According to Ryan Gallagher, Criterion is going to release The Manchurian Candidate

criterion10

#567 Post by criterion10 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:25 pm

dwk wrote:According to Ryan Gallagher, Criterion is going to release The Manchurian Candidate
The MGM release is already pretty good, the Arrow one even better. Another title that Criterion doesn't really need to be spending their time on, but if it sells well enough to fund more less-commercial releases, then so be it.

EddieLarkin

#568 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:09 pm

If they're bothering, I'd be shocked if they weren't undertaking a new 2 or 4K transfer à la Dressed to Kill. As good as the current Blu-rays are, they use a transfer that is over a decade old.

Finch

#569 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:33 pm

I've bought Manchurian Candidate three times already on DVD, the MGM BD and Arrow's (the latter only for £7) so the Criterion would have to look absolutely sensational for me to pay for this particular film again, not to mention better the Arrow's extras.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#570 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:47 pm

And Arrow's encoding capabilities.

RSTooley

#571 Post by RSTooley » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:53 pm

The MGM release is already pretty good, the Arrow one even better.
I actually think the MGM blu-ray can be improved upon, picture wise, but that's just me.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#572 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 pm

MGM release doesn't have original mono though, I thought?

ianungstad

#573 Post by ianungstad » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Seven Days in May is one of those Warner titles that seems very Criterion-y that suddenly went out of print. It seems like maybe they are going for the Frankenheimer "paranoia" trilogy.

ianthemovie

#574 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:46 pm

On the subject of MGM (and De Palma), do we know whether Carrie is a possibility?

Randall Maysin

#575 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:35 am

and The Fury! Not MGM, but I'm pretty sure I got the idea from some post somewhere on this forum that this would be coming to Criterion eventually.