Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2001 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2002 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 pm

To be fair, the only times I ever remember to unlock that thread are when someone asks about it here (though usually more politely).

Luke M

#2003 Post by Luke M » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Y’all are underestimating the fun of guessing Criterions.

kekid

#2004 Post by kekid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.
If I offended someone by asking the question, or the way I asked the question, I apologize.
I know that whoever is managing the "Quarterly Guessing" thread is providing a service, and I appreciate that.
If the prevailing view is that this thread is a silly nuisance, then I suggest we end it.

yoloswegmaster

#2005 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 am

Does Criterion have a history with Disney? I'm only asking this because the rights to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" belong to Fox and Disney has bought Fox, which could delay the announcement of GBH.

mteller

#2006 Post by mteller » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 am

Someday, someone is going to win that million dollar prize for correctly guessing all the releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2007 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am

Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2008 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:Does Criterion have a history with Disney? I'm only asking this because the rights to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" belong to Fox and Disney has bought Fox, which could delay the announcement of GBH.
They have a history with both when it comes to Anderson - Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic were all Disney, and The Darjeeling Limited and Fantastic Mr. Fox were Fox. Also, your username makes me want to jump into the Grand Canyon.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2009 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:50 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Sorry kekid -- this was rude. Both swo and domino are correct in that a polite reminder is the way to go, I just didn't interpret your initial reminder as anything but a whine and it rubbed me the wrong way. Still not worthy of this kind of crotchety response. Onward and upward. Guess away.

Luke M

#2010 Post by Luke M » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)
Everybody listing their wishlists in the Paramount thread is so much worse.

kekid

#2011 Post by kekid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:

Sorry kekid -- this was rude. Both swo and domino are correct in that a polite reminder is the way to go, I just didn't interpret your initial reminder as anything but a whine and it rubbed me the wrong way. Still not worthy of this kind of crotchety response. Onward and upward. Guess away.
Thank you all, for a civilized close to this exchange.

Gregory

#2012 Post by Gregory » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Luke M wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)
Everybody listing their wishlists in the Paramount thread is so much worse.
I disagree because the Paramount discussion was short-lived, but the monthly guessing is forever and litters forum search results with titles that no one is actually discussing. If I want to search for a post about Wr----n on the Wind or The L--y Eve, most of the results that come up for the past several years are incorrect guesses of when they'll be released on Blu-ray, and in both examples this goes back over four years' worth of posts. (Titles altered so that this post will not similarly clutter searches for titles I'm not actually talking about)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2013 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 pm

The Lazy Eve sounds like it could be a fake movie title in a Sturges film

DRW.mov

#2014 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Criterion just tweeted this still from what appears to be Martin Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence.

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/941708309144403968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ryanvision

#2015 Post by ryanvision » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:08 pm

I think anything Scorsese in the "not Goodfellas and Taxi Driver" has been a long time coming. It is one of those scenarios where all his movies are widely available (excluding a few examples, I know Kundun was finally just released on blu) which works against him being in the catalog, but any of his films would sell wonderfully.

I would have thought New York, New York would have been included by now, and I recall rumblings of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore being added.

Costa

#2016 Post by Costa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:57 pm

DRW.mov wrote:Criterion just tweeted this still from what appears to be Martin Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence.

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/941708309144403968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OMG, I hope they release this!
I've been hanging on too much not to buy the European edition.
I think this is my favourite romantic period drama ever!
Last edited by Costa on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2017 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Would make sense to capitalize on the Phantom Thread buzz.

JAP

#2018 Post by JAP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm

It would be great to get consecutive spine-numbers for The Age of Innocence and for Terence Davies' The House of Mirth. (Both are Sony titles, no?)

Apperson

#2019 Post by Apperson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 pm

SpoilerShow
King of Jazz (John Murray Anderson)
Women in Love (Ken Russell)
Baal (Volker Schlöndorff)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
The Age of Innocence (Martin Scorsese)

Minkin

#2020 Post by Minkin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Here's that monthly thing that I post:

The Age of Innocence - People have been wanting this / speculating it - but we've never had any sort of confirmation, thus a surprise

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Janus tour / reissue

Baal - Complete surprise, never hinted or rumored or even guessed by anyone here

Women in Love - Nov newsletter clue + this was one of those MisterLime hinted Criterion films

King of Jazz - Recently restored, phantom page for the director in September, otherwise a surprise
==============================================
So, 3/5 were surprises this month! Although I expect the number of surprises to drop for the next few months as we'll be getting a ton of new clues (and Domino headaches) in a couple of weeks. Non-Blu upgrades remaining: 264.

I'm hoping King of Jazz means Criterion is interested in more 30s musicals, and we'll get most all of the Astaire, and Busby Berkeley films.

dwk

#2021 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Seeing The Tree of Wooden Clogs and Germany Year Zero mentioned in the Forum Awards thread got me wondering if anyone here goes to this, can you please ask about the color timing on the former and why they used the older master for the latter.

beamish13

#2022 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Have there been any possible hints about Mike Leigh's Career Girls becoming a part of the collection? The barebones Fox DVD in the States has been OOP for a while and often sells for over $70.

Mr. Deltoid

#2023 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I really think Career Girls is Mike Leigh at his worst. Schematic and rather contrived, with a shrill performance by the late Katrin Cartlidge. I'd much rather see Secrets and Lies or Bleak Moments. Or - be still my beating-heart - Nuts in May. "Come along Candice Marie . . ."

dda1996a

#2024 Post by dda1996a » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 pm

I have to agree. It seems Leigh's methods towards acting reached too far in that film. Their eccentricity was off putting in a not good way (as opposed to say, Naked and its multifaceted characters).

KJones77

#2025 Post by KJones77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 am

https://i.redd.it/baxge74dly701.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there anything to be made of this? The official FilmStruck account seems to confirm No Country for Old Men is coming to Criterion but that could also just be referring to the Criterion Channel.

Thoughts?