It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm 

Last night I attended "A John Waters Christmas" here in LA. During the Q&A, I asked if we'd be seeing any more of his older films released by Criterion. He said, "Nothing older than 'Multiple Maniacs'. The music rights for 'Mondo Trasho' would be too expensive." Before he could turn away, I blurted out, "No, I mean older films that came after 'Multiple Maniacs', specifically 'Female Trouble', which is my favorite." He made a "I can't say anything" face and gesture, and then said "I'm not sayin' anything!" before going to the next question.

So my Christmas wish has basically been granted. Between classic Waters and the Godzilla movies, the next couple of years will see Criterion absorb a LOT of my discretionary income...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 pm 

Any idea what the coming Disney/Fox deal means for their deals with Criterion?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm 

Nothing for some time, as the deal will take years to go through if it even does?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:02 pm 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Any idea what the coming Disney/Fox deal means for their deals with Criterion?

I'd expect that Disney couldn't care less about 99% of the Fox catalog, so I'm sure it would all be licensed out (probably similar to whats going on with MGM). So I would only expect more from Criterion and not worry about anything they've already licensed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am 

edit: guess I should make a thread

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 pm 

Looks like those guesses in the phantom pages thread were correct about The Stunt Man. It's now on Filmstruck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:00 am 

Dead Man and Tom Jones Screening at Wexner Center for the Arts... and Q&A with Lee Kline in Feb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm 

More Carlos Reygadas coming to Criterion
Quote:
In three months "Japan" can be enjoyed in Blu-Ray format and will be part of the classics of world cinema. There is also an arrangement for the rest of his films to be gradually added to the catalog of the US company, such as Batalla en el cielo (2005), Luz silenciosa (2007) and Post Tenebras Lux (2012).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:22 pm 

I'm doubtful on that last one as I believe Strand's disc is still in print.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 pm 
Dot Com Dom

If Strand seemingly let go of Fucking Åmål for Criterion, it's not implausible

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 pm 

They might have lost the rights to that though, no? It certainly isn't in print like Reygadas' film.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm 

Well they did say gradually.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 am 

Any chance Criterion might/can add eXistenZ to their Cronenberg selections?

And any reason why they wouldn’t upgrade The Human Condition, or is it expected to maybe just pop up one day?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am 

Criterion is sitting on dozens if not hundreds of films that have been restored and they could just do an upgrade of with no new features, but they only release at the most 15 upgrades a year. It will probably show up in the fullness of time, but the way they decide what gets the go-ahead to be restored seems totally arbitrary much of the time.

In the case of the Human Condition, it's a big expensive box set that's still relying on the same master they sourced the DVD from. I don't really see why they'd rush to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm 

Why is Quarantined Monthly Guessing locked up to two days before the announcement date? I have to post this here (or somewhere) because the right place to post it is locked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

Post... what here?

It's locked because it is only relevant right before titles are announced, but ponderous when it's a month out from a new batch of announcements. It's the same reason the Newsletter thread is locked most of the month too - there's no reason to keep bumping these all month long every time someone wants to go "Um... Fight Club, maybe?"

EDIT: That being said, it's about time to unlock it for this month, so I went ahead and did so. Have at it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 pm 

Ribs wrote:
Criterion is sitting on dozens if not hundreds of films that have been restored and they could just do an upgrade of with no new features, but they only release at the most 15 upgrades a year. It will probably show up in the fullness of time, but the way they decide what gets the go-ahead to be restored seems totally arbitrary much of the time.

Is this really true? Cause it seems we only get upgrades after a known restoration and/or a revival of some sorts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
Post... what here?

It's locked because it is only relevant right before titles are announced, but ponderous when it's a month out from a new batch of announcements. It's the same reason the Newsletter thread is locked most of the month too - there's no reason to keep bumping these all month long every time someone wants to go "Um... Fight Club, maybe?"

EDIT: That being said, it's about time to unlock it for this month, so I went ahead and did so. Have at it.

I must be misunderstanding something. Is it not the 13th of December today? And do the announcements not get made on the 15th of each month (barring weekends etc.)? So are we not within 2 days of the announcement? Unless December is an exceptional month I do not understand the comment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm 

I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 pm 

To be fair, the only times I ever remember to unlock that thread are when someone asks about it here (though usually more politely).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 pm 

Y’all are underestimating the fun of guessing Criterions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.

If I offended someone by asking the question, or the way I asked the question, I apologize.
I know that whoever is managing the "Quarterly Guessing" thread is providing a service, and I appreciate that.
If the prevailing view is that this thread is a silly nuisance, then I suggest we end it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 am 

Does Criterion have a history with Disney? I'm only asking this because the rights to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" belong to Fox and Disney has bought Fox, which could delay the announcement of GBH.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 am 

Someday, someone is going to win that million dollar prize for correctly guessing all the releases.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am 
Dot Com Dom

Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next