It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:26 pm 

In reference to Le Corbeau, he specifically said it's great to get titles like these back on streaming. I don't think anything has changed with StudioCanal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm 

I wish we could have a pinned post in this thread saying Studio Canal titles are not coming back en masse. They just released a Melville box set!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 pm 

The Color of Pomegranates has been added to the FilmStruck Criterion channel!

I am thinking of writing to them to consider releasing the film as a standalone disk. What email should I use to do so? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 pm 

mulvaney@criterion.com . I've contacted that address once regarding supplements on a past release and got a response in a couple days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm 

Judging by the length it looks like it might be the Armenian cut of the film. Really hope Criterion ends up releasing both cuts since both were restored by WCP.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:56 am 

Does anyone know who owns the rights to Goyokin and Samurai Assassin? They both exist is wildly expensive, OOP DVD editions but are supposed to be landmark samurai films in their own right, as well as fitting into the samurai niche that CC is firmly ensconced in. I would love to see CC editions for these two, if just to watch them in high quality releases.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:58 am 

Mungo wrote:
mulvaney@criterion.com . I've contacted that address once regarding supplements on a past release and got a response in a couple days.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 am 

Drucker wrote:
I wish we could have a pinned post in this thread saying Studio Canal titles are not coming back en masse.

Just for the record, I didn't think a slate of SC titles was coming back, just didn't get why Becker would bring up a film that's only going to be on Filmstruck for a few months. And since a member was fantasizing about another SC title coming back, I meant he might as well fantasize big. I'll need hard evidence before I get my hopes up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 am 

The new restoration of The Passion of Joan of Arc is finally getting a Janus tour, thus a new Blu/edition should be sometime in 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm 

Minkin wrote:
The new restoration of The Passion of Joan of Arc is finally getting a Janus tour, thus a new Blu/edition should be sometime in 2018.

Hallelujah!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:58 pm 

Trailer for Night of the Living Dead restoration.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:05 pm 

The Film Forum's new Repertory Calendar just went up. Includes Janus engagements of Passion of Joan of Arc in late November, and Memories of Underdevelopment in mid-January.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am 

Kaurismaki's new/worst film "The Other Side of Hope" coming to Criterion. Horribly self-repetitive piece of intellectual laziness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:15 pm 

JabbaTheSlut wrote:
Kaurismaki's new/worst film "The Other Side of Hope" coming to Criterion. Horribly self-repetitive piece of intellectual laziness.

I couldn’t disagree more: it’s top five Kaurismäki for me, and I’ve seen close to his entire output.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm 

JabbaTheSlut wrote:

Most reviewers (other than Owen Gleiberman) were a lot more favorably impressed than you were. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm 

What's the best entry point for Kaurismäki? Closest I've seen was Jarmusch's wonderful Night on Earth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
What's the best entry point for Kaurismäki? Closest I've seen was Jarmusch's wonderful Night on Earth
I would say (offhand) Ariel, Drifting Clouds or Man Without a Past should all work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:52 pm 

My preference is for The Match Factory Girl, personally. And it only runs 68 minutes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm 

Drifting Clouds is still my favourite by some distance: it's the one where everything absolutely gels, right up to one of the most perfect endings of any film in the last 25 years. I'm also very fond of Shadows in Paradise, The Man Without a Past, Le Havre and The Other Side of Hope for similar reasons - he's ploughing a decidedly familiar furrow in all of them (except Shadows, but I wasn't lucky enough to see that one brand new), but if you're on Kaurismäki's wavelength that's hardly a drawback.

Ariel was my first, and while I think it's a long way from his best I reckon it's still an excellent introduction.

The Match Factory Girl is probably too vicious for newcomers (it's certainly one of the bleakest things he ever made - although, that said, it's pretty close tonally to that Night on Earth episode), but it's one of my favourites.

I also like Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatjana a lot, although I think that one's probably best for people more familiar with his work.

But I could easily mention virtually everything: there's hardly anything that I actively dislike (even the much-abused Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses is more interesting now than it was then for its all too fleeting vision of Europe in transition).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm 

JabbaTheSlut wrote:

Fully agree. It's his laziest, most banal movie yet. I couldn't believe they chose it for the NYFF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm 

How is that Leningrad trilogy? I heard AE is putting out a Blu ray box of his films

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:42 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
How is that Leningrad trilogy? I heard AE is putting out a Blu ray box of his films
https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B074R4KSQB/dvdbeaver-21/ref=nosim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm 

ianthemovie wrote:
My preference is for The Match Factory Girl, personally. And it only runs 68 minutes!

Same here, his sharpest film. I've seen all of them also. I also like Shadows in Paradise, Ariel, Tatjana and Leningrad Cowboys. I think they're his career high points. Drifting Clouds and Man Without The Past were good films. But I felt that both his aesthetics and worldview closed permanently there. I think Le Havre and The Other Side of Hope are extremely dull films in their attempt to say something about humanity and societal and political issues. I feel that it's just simplistic ethos taken from old Chaplin films, sort of well worn, universally accepted humanism, to what everybody can nod their heads in acceptance. I think his humor has not completely lost its edge, but still most of it. It's solitary man's cinema, his world view is complete, and has been that for some time. It is not open. It would be good for him to stick to the gags and not try be some sort of drunken truth teller of cinema.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm 

Graphist wrote:
The Color of Pomegranates has been added to the FilmStruck Criterion channel!

Thanks so much for the heads-up! I knew that Janus is now distributing the DCP (we're screening it at Emory), but I wasn't aware of its presence on FilmStruck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 am 

Since there’s a strong chance Criterion is releasing Fucking Amal now, how will they handle the title / cover? Will it just be called Show Me Love? Could it possibly have reversible art, or will they just be ballsy and release it to stores in its original title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next