It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm 

Posting in the guess thread inspired (I'm scared too) reflection on my part about the whole lot of their IFC slate.

Clouds of Sils Maria was a year and change after its U.S. release and Dheepan was just a week-off of being exactly a year.

The IFC film we should expect within the next six months if not today is Reichardt's Certain Women.

Their films from Cannes 2016 remain a mystery to me. Does Criterion plan on releasing all four? I don't see why not. I, Daniel Blake won the Palme so it was already guaranteed, but it has taken on a second life in light of the putsch attempt on Corbyn and this year's general election. It might well find a third life before the year's end. I hope so, anyway. Anyway, I recall it received a qualifying run in December and I can verify that it's still in theatres as it's in Kansas City (they could only secure it for a week, though). Loach did a fair bit of campaigning and at least one advertisement, so it would seem Criterion could release a fairly endowed package on a film that had and is having a real world impact.

Personal Shopper appears to be Kristen Stewart at her most solo. Combined with Assayas, relative praise, that the film won Assayas his first prize at the festival, and it seems like a no-brainer (it was posted to Instagram as well).

I'd like to think Criterion would just gloriously remove the Mungius off their back, but it's been forever. Forever since Beyond the Hills debuted at Cannes. Forever since it opened in the U.S. Forever since they teased 4 Months on social media. Forever since they hinted at 4 Months in a New Year's Clue. Despite having zero input into Criterion's release schedule, I have nothing but learned helplessness when it comes to Mungiu. If they release the first two, why not Graduation?

They haven't passed on a Dardennes yet, but I guess if they were, The Unknown Girl would be the one. Met with a tepid response at Cannes, apparently re-edited, and being dumped in August of this year. Minor Dardennes is still likely better than whatever the arthouse hit de jour is, but nonetheless.

Last edited by Omensetter on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm 

starmanof51 wrote:
Has there been any hint of their blu upgrade of Tales of Hoffmann being on the schedule?

Criterion no longer holds the rights to that film.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:11 pm 

If you're referring to how the DVD went OOP when StudioCanal took the rights back years ago, there was a more recent rumor that there would be an exception made à la the Tati set.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:42 pm 

starmanof51 wrote:
Has there been any hint of their blu upgrade of Tales of Hoffmann being on the schedule?

I was at the restoration screening with the Schoonmaker Q&A many were citing as evidence for the Criterion reissue and I would like to reiterate that she never said Criterion was putting it out on disc. She said the name Criterion several times, but only in retrospect when talking about how they detected the colors sliding out of whack on the original elements when they brought them out for the original DVD, and that inspired the recent restoration. Also that they were great friends and have helped The Archers legacy quite a bit over the years.

But that was a couple of years ago, who knows what's up now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:00 am 

looks like Criterion got those three Hitchcock films back

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 am 

Oh boy, I hope it's true. The MGM blus were minor disappointments. Especially the Rebecca disc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 pm 

This says it's coming in September from Criterion:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=293155

We shall see later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:18 pm 

If anyone doubts it, you can filter the website to just Hitchcock Blus and there are five in the list despite six listed in the drop-down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 pm 

Rebecca doesn't show up as "Out of Print" on this page, when searching for 'Hitchcock', but the other OOP Hitchcocks still do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:57 pm 

We're probably only getting the Rebecca reissue in September. It's in Criterion's best interest to spread the three re-releases out over several months.

Here's hoping they keep the cover for Notorious when they get around to it. One of my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:59 pm 

captveg wrote:
We're probably only getting the Rebecca reissue in September. It's in Criterion's best interest to spread the three re-releases out over several months.

Here's hoping they keep the cover for Notorious when they get around to it. One of my favorites.
Especially if they are all getting 4k work done on them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:00 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Criterion retweeted a blog post about a new book on Barbara Loden and Wanda. I'm not a fan of the film, but it seems like something Criterion would be into and would find an audience in the Whither Femake Directors climate of now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:07 pm 

I'd hope they would be looking into Girlfriends as well in that case.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:40 pm 

Hm. Out of September's slate, only Certain Women piques my interest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm 

With all the Haneke they suppose to have rights to, and they release The Piano Teacher now?

Last edited by Cinephrenic on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:46 pm 

Cinephrenic wrote:
We all the Haneke they suppose to have rights to, and they release The Piano Teacher now?

I feel the same. I would have taken anything other than The Piano Teacher.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:47 pm 
Dot Com Dom

We're still in the midst of Huppert Fever, it's a logical choice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:53 pm 

Is it not one of his most highly regarded films?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:56 pm 

And is it not also one of his films most in need of a decent Blu-ray edition?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:58 pm 

I'd think 71 Fragments would be in a more desperate situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:58 pm 

swo17 wrote:
Is it not one of his most highly regarded films?

You know when you look at something and it just feels off? Like looking at a poorly made doll (life-size or otherwise) and it giving you weird vibes? That's how The Piano Teacher feels to me. I realize that may not be a popular opinion but such is life I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:02 pm 

Maybe they'll get around to Entre Nous one of these days...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:28 pm 

Not very enthusiastic of September's announcements but guess Rebecca is cool. Or maybe not. :-k

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm 

Here's the month's roundup:

Rebecca - assumed to be coming since Straw Dogs came back, but no hints otherwise.

Festival - Not hinted ... a complete surprise

Certain Women - Not hinted, but its a high profile unreleased IFC film that many guessed would be likely.

The Piano Teacher - Not hinted, but Criterion has assuredly picked up the former-Kino Haneke films.

David Lynch: The Art Life - Janus tour
===============================================
Well, this is probably the least known set of announcements. Typically everything is well hinted at, with perhaps a single surprise - here its the opposite. Except for Festival, one could probably guess the likelihoods enough to get some of these - but nothing was hinted. I suppose this might be a product of Criterion's lack of dropping hints lately. Typically we'd get a color grading picture for us to guess or some other clue (or a Twitter leak) - but these have been rare lately. Might any of the above titles work as the New Years clue answers?

This has been quite the year for OOP rescues. We hadn't had any since Time Bandits, then suddenly three within four months.

My sister has been bothering me every month asking if they've put out Rebecca /another Hitchcock yet.
Festival looks great and I'd been wondering if we would get anymore concert films.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:17 am 

Minkin wrote:
Might any of the above titles work as the New Years clue answers?

This has been quite the year for OOP rescues. We hadn't had any since Time Bandits, then suddenly three within four months.

Perhaps the "old lace" is a wadded up semen encrusted Kleenex the piano teacher sniffs in the opening scenes of the film? ;)

Definitely a relatively left field month for them. Funny how they get lots of criticism here when they do an entire month of canon and standards new releases, but scarcely a peep of praise when they do the opposite. Damned if you do damned if you don't I suppose.

I love the upgrades this year and the return of oop titles. A major and welcome development.

October should get us to 898 or 899. Something big for November for spine 900 (magnificent ambersons?) or maybe just grand Budapest hotel?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 81  Next