Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1426 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 am

I just saw the 4k resto last week and it looks marvelous.

Ribs

#1427 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am

Well, I'm glad to see Criterion is at least willing to do some upgrades with anything resembling urgency, though I'm surprised at the turnaround here (considering it's only just begun its Janus tour). Makes me curious if we'll see Marseilles as soon as this month or in July too.

DRW.mov

#1428 Post by DRW.mov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 am

RSTooley wrote:
SpoilerShow
Look for a potential upgrade of Ugetsu to be announced later today. Ugetsu has been added to the 'coming soon' page on Criterion, but without any additional details.

Unless they're just pairing down the digibook/72 page booklet like they did to Battle of Algiers, Slacker, Vampyr, etc. Repackages always end up quietly in there as well.

diamonds

#1429 Post by diamonds » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:38 am

The page for Le Samouraï now displays "Buy at Amazon," hinting at an imminent upgrade?

jazzo

#1431 Post by jazzo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Ugetsu's at the top of the "coming soon" page as of a few minutes ago, but the link is only to the DVD. I assume that's just an error for the upgrade.

Fiery Angel

#1432 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 pm

What's with the spoiler tags in this thread?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1433 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Some people don't like to know the announcements until they're official.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1434 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Fiery Angel wrote:What's with the spoiler tags in this thread?
You accidentally logged into the Blu-ray.com forums. Gee Bill, you're the greatest! Mister Lime, you can take me anytime! Hi Twilight Time, your covers are almost as beautiful as my latent homosexual obsession with Charles Bronson! Here's a picture of all eight of my Doctor Strange variant slipcovers-- I had to visit four different Best Buys to find a slip untouched by human hands

jazzo

#1435 Post by jazzo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 pm

jazzo wrote:Ugetsu's at the top of the "coming soon" page as of a few minutes ago, but the link is only to the DVD. I assume that's just an error for the upgrade.

And now it's gone.

Ribs

#1436 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Glad to see Criterion's getting over their fear of box sets a little bit more - that's three in the first half of 2017, only one of which seems like it'd be an especially strong seller. Too much to hope they'd try and do the same in the back half?

Finch

#1437 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Lovely line-up. In all for those, except perhaps Straw Dogs.

movielocke

#1438 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Ribs wrote:Glad to see Criterion's getting over their fear of box sets a little bit more - that's three in the first half of 2017, only one of which seems like it'd be an especially strong seller. Too much to hope they'd try and do the same in the back half?
I don't think there is a fear of box sets, I think rather that its just coincidental good (or bad) luck that the sets fall when they do.

Sometimes box sets take months or years extra (I imagine the sudden release of the WCP set has to do with Scorsese's schedule having an opening for the first time in years and years). If a single film can suffer delays that kick it back months, a set with 3 films has the possibility of three times as many delays.

And criterion released three box sets in 2016, Dekalog, Lone Wolf and Wenders, so it was hardly a barren year. Sure there is occasionally a 2008, or 2011 or 2015 where there is only one set in a year, but that's more the exception than the rule, and likely a result of just bad luck more than any deliberate corporate FEAR of releasing box sets. :)

This is a truly incredible month, it tops May for me. Between May and June, 2017 went from 'eh' to amazing. and I thought I would have little to buy in July! and at 40 new spines in just December to June (846 to 885), they're releasing at a truly blistering pace!

zedz

#1439 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 pm

movielocke wrote:And criterion released three box sets in 2016, Dekalog, Lone Wolf and Wenders, so it was hardly a barren year. Sure there is occasionally a 2008, or 2011 or 2015 where there is only one set in a year, but that's more the exception than the rule, and likely a result of just bad luck more than any deliberate corporate FEAR of releasing box sets. :)
And there were reasonably strong indications that the Wenders box set was on the brink of release much earlier and was held up for mysterious reasons that we've never actually discovered, so it would have been a contender for 2015.

Graphist

#1440 Post by Graphist » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:14 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:I just saw the 4k resto last week and it looks marvelous.
Yes, it was indeed! They also had a QnA about the restoration process after the screening. If I remember correctly it cost close to a million to do the restoration.

movielocke

#1441 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:28 pm

So with the Fanny trilogy released, I presume that the three Hitchcock's licensed with Straw Dogs have got to be the big November set piece for 2017, right?

But will they reissue the Wrong Men and Notorious Women box set? or just put out singles of Rebecca, Notorious and Spellbound?

Edit: Are there any rumored box sets left on the docket, other than the Berlanga eclipse set?
Last edited by movielocke on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#1442 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:02 pm

movielocke wrote: This is a truly incredible month, it tops May for me. Between May and June, 2017 went from 'eh' to amazing. and I thought I would have little to buy in July! and at 40 new spines in just December to June (846 to 885), they're releasing at a truly blistering pace!
Got to get everything released before 2020, when all boutique home video labels will be shutting down.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#1443 Post by Omensetter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 pm

movielocke wrote: Edit: Are there any rumored box sets left on the docket, other than the Berlanga eclipse set?
Mungiu's three Cannes features is there's if they want it.

Maybe this is a mistaken memory or me making one up to fulfill a desire, but I thought the Koker trilogy was in the hopper?

Yet another fantastic month, although I do wish that Bonello photo hadn't made the rounds so as to have a surprise.

I don't see any reason to bundle the three Hitchcock films from a financial standpoint. Trickle them out ala Chaplin.

Minkin

#1444 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Here's your speculation round-up:

Ugetsu - Upgrade, Janus tour

They Live by Night - New Years clue

The Marseille Trilogy - Janus tour, New Years clue

The Lodger - Filmstruck + Twitter confirmation about the soundtrack

Straw Dogs - Cover art leak + upgrade (long OOP)
============================================================
No surprises this month. Glad we finally get another OOP film returned. Also the upgrades are starting to come back (276 left, by my count).

As to Movielocke's question - probably either the Lloyd talkies set or the Chaplin shorts set are the most overdo boxsets that have been confirmed. Any other set of a director's titles would be speculation at this point (although they have no shortage of possibilities).

I'm most excited for the Hitchcock double bill - although I still find it odd they'd bury any Hitchcock title (Downhill) - but its money saved in the long run!

Graphist

#1445 Post by Graphist » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Minkin wrote: I'm most excited for the Hitchcock double bill - although I still find it odd they'd bury any Hitchcock title (Downhill) - but its money saved in the long run!
Maybe because they are both silent films. Not many go for them (which is crazy!).

Chaplin and/or Lloyd sets would be incredible!

movielocke

#1446 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Minkin, are you keeping a list of all the oop titles recently rumored to imminently return? I think with straw dogs in the last few weeks we have had Chungking Express, silence of the lambs, Rebeca, notorious, spellbound all rumored, and I suppose that Spinal tap was a possible New Years clue. Any others?

movielocke

#1447 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Amarcord was added to the new releases page today, and if you click on the title it says DVD release on 02/28/17

Did it just get a DVD keepcase edition put out?

The page says this at the bottom, but I don't know if the bluray always had a different booklet:
PLUS: An essay by scholar Sam Rohdie, author of Fellini Lexicon, and Fellini’s 1967 essay “My Rimini” (Blu-ray only)

Minkin

#1448 Post by Minkin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 am

movielocke wrote:Minkin, are you keeping a list of all the oop titles recently rumored to imminently return? I think with straw dogs in the last few weeks we have had Chungking Express, silence of the lambs, Rebeca, notorious, spellbound all rumored, and I suppose that Spinal tap was a possible New Years clue. Any others?
I keep track of everything at the Criterion OOP thread. I keep meaning to add This is Spinal Tap to that list as a possibly confirmed title (but who knows at this point, like 2 years later).

There shouldn't be anything stopping Criterion from the titles you mentioned + The Bank Dick (Universal), Unbearable Lightness of Being (WB), Sid & Nancy + Robocop (MGM).

I'd rather like to know what's going on with Blood for Dracula + Flesh for Frankenstein. Image put them out, then they were on the Westchester website, but some of those have gone to Shout and some have stayed with Criterion, so I have no idea.

Also no idea about Tokyo Olympiad - as I'm not sure wtf the Olympics' problem is and why they have such a beef with Toho over that movie.
--------------------

As for Hitchcock films, we already know they have the rights to Sabotage + Young and Innocent. Notorious/Spellbound / Rebecca are a near certain at this point (given Straw Dogs was re-released). Criterion should have also picked up The Pleasure Garden and Easy Virtue (from same licensor as Lodger/Downhill/etc). They should also still have the rights to Secret Agent + Number 17. So they should have a good chunk of Hitchcock to last them a few years.

Good catch on Amarcord. I'm sure its just getting relegated to a plastic case.

onedimension

#1449 Post by onedimension » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:48 am

movielocke wrote:So with the Fanny trilogy released, I presume that the three Hitchcock's licensed with Straw Dogs have got to be the big November set piece for 2017, right?

But will they reissue the Wrong Men and Notorious Women box set? or just put out singles of Rebecca, Notorious and Spellbound?

Edit: Are there any rumored box sets left on the docket, other than the Berlanga eclipse set?
Hasn't Kiarostami's Koker Trilogy been in rumor limbo for a couple of years? Assume it's still coming - the Wenders trilogy went through the same thing.

andyli

#1450 Post by andyli » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:13 am

And Oshima's supposed to receive a box-set treatment...