Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
DRW.mov

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3026 Post by DRW.mov » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm

Also, with Godzilla: King of the Monsters dropping this summer and King Kong vs Godzilla coming early next year, a fall 2019 slot couldn’t be better timing.

zedz

#3027 Post by zedz » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 pm

artfilmfan wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm
All the new titles announced for the month will be day-one (of B&N sale) purchases for me. This hasn’t happened for a long time.
Can anybody remember the last time that all the new releases in a month were of films not already available in English territories / English-friendly editions? (The Ozu was previously released in a box set by Tartan UK, but that's been OOP for more than ten years.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3028 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Not this month— the Inland Sea had a US DVD release from Image in 2000

Glowingwabbit

#3029 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Wouldn't any month including this one where there was an upgrade be disqualified?

Edit: oh did you mean new to the collection?

zedz

#3030 Post by zedz » Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm
Not this month— the Inland Sea had a US DVD release from Image in 2000
If it's been OOP for even longer than Tartan's been out of business I don't think it really qualifies as "available". Though you can buy a sealed copy on Amazon for $200+. (I hope they sell that copy soon!)

Technically, all of the Kiarostamis had been variously available on VHS in the US and UK, but most of those editions have been OOP longer than some forum members have been alive.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#3031 Post by cdnchris » Wed May 15, 2019 11:08 pm

So we're not all a bunch of old fogies? That's good to know.

artfilmfan

#3032 Post by artfilmfan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Yes. And the hint was “B&N sale”.

I almost bought the Shochiku Blu-ray of Green Tea. I am glad I didn’t.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3033 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm

I have that Image release _somewhere_. But not still shrink-wrapped. ;-)

I have a motley assortment of videos of the Koker trilogy -- one US release, one UK one and one from heaven knows where (that had a left track of some other film -- so I had to play it with the balance turned all the way to the right).

FrauBlucher

#3034 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am

I guess the rodeo left town.

Glowingwabbit

#3035 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 am

artfilmfan wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:21 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Yes. And the hint was “B&N sale”.
My gaffe was actually in reference to zedz's comment. Although I'm not sure how a B&N sale is a hint for distinguishing between titles new to the collection and Blu upgrades of older titles.

HitchcockLang

#3036 Post by HitchcockLang » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am

Shrew wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:52 pm
I don't even remember the last film that had a $30 price tag; it must have been before dual format?
Not quite that old. Bitter Rice (spine #792) and David Lynch: The Art Life (spine #895) are both $30 blus and released well after the demise of dual format. Have there been any since the Lynch doc? The Inland Sea certainly seems like a good candidate but I imagine there could be other contractual, rights, or production budget reasons for being a $40 release. It's not like Criterion pays by the minute to license films (at least, I don't think that's how it works).

Minkin

#3037 Post by Minkin » Thu May 16, 2019 2:41 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am
I guess the rodeo left town.
It just had further to travel this month, but nothing stops the rodeo from eventually making its way into town! (August 2019)

The Koker Trilogy - New Years Clue (three coke bottles); Janus Kiarostami Retrospective tour; Multiple confirmations from Kiarostami's son on social media; + "Where is My Friend's Home" has been on Criterion's streaming services going back to Hulu. I think we saw this result coming.

The Inland Sea - An actual surprise! There was a phantom page + some grumbling when not paired with The Naked Island; but this is an otherwise completely unexpected announcement. Edit - there was actually a page for this film on the Janus website; still a big surprise.

The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice - Had been making the informal rounds from Janus; on Filmstruck. Also a well-placed bet by myself. Also: What Did the Lady Forget? (1937) was also on Filmstruck/etc.

Magnificent Obsession - One of those random upgrades that we didn't have any definitive clues for (cue someone pointing out a Twitter post I missed)

An Angel at My Table - Upgrade; New Years Clue (angel sitting at table)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-240 upgrades remain to be Blu'd
---------------------------------
Remaining from the New Years Clue:

-The Sled (Bamboozled and/or Citizen Kane)
-The Clockface (9 to 5 OR Nine Days of One Year; or 1984, if anyone was able to give that any thought)
-Bringing Up Baby + Children of Men (the clues have already been solved, but these fit the theme and could still be forthcoming, even though it would make it like a quadruple clue; Criterion has until Dec 2019 to announce these before they get the boot from the list).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The All-Around Cowpoke for this month's rodeo (most accurate Speculation guesser) goes to:

criterionsnob

For their correct guess of The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice, which was the most obscure guess of the month. They can pick up their Bolo Tie at the concession stand.

Consolation prizes go to both DRW.mov + JakeStewart for both correctly guessing Koker Trilogy + Angel at My Table (both New Years clues, so worth less points combined than the Ozu). You can both pick up your consolation lariat at the concession stand.

All-Around Cowpoke is a subjective award, to which I'm the only judge; but films are worth less points if they are extremely well speculated ahead of time (as was the Koker Trilogy). So, an Inland Sea guess would've been an instant victory; unless somebody managed a 4/5. Don't worry, this all makes sense inside my head; and I don't have any favorites in this race (hence why I never make an entry). Congrats to all participants though!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And with that, its time for my S/O and I to go fix up our cabin. See ya'll at next month's Speculation Rodeo!

RSTooley

#3038 Post by RSTooley » Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 pm

A user on Criterion's Reddit page found some neat evidence for a future MASH release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3039 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Fox has its own Criterion Collection which is a different thing, this comes up a lot when Fox titles screen in retros

RSTooley

#3040 Post by RSTooley » Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Oh! I forgot all about this issue. It has come up a few times in the past. My apologies!

dwk

#3041 Post by dwk » Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 pm

The Fox Criterion is Criterion Pictures, I suspect that the MASH thing is just a typo

HitchcockLang

#3042 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon May 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Am I missing something? That link mentions a double feature of California Split and M*A*S*H and says the 35mm prints are courtesy Criterion Collection and Fox, which I take to read one movie from one and the other from the other. Doesn't Criterion have California Split? I don't see anything on that page to link MASH to Criterion, again, unless I'm missing something.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3043 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Why would the Criterion Collection be licensing any 35mm print for theatrical distribution? It’d be Janus for their titles, but Fox titles are licensed separately for Criterion release. Scroll up and you’ll see California Split’s print attributed to Columbia

KJones77

#3044 Post by KJones77 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:43 pm
Am I missing something? That link mentions a double feature of California Split and M*A*S*H and says the 35mm prints are courtesy Criterion Collection and Fox, which I take to read one movie from one and the other from the other. Doesn't Criterion have California Split? I don't see anything on that page to link MASH to Criterion, again, unless I'm missing something.
No, California Split is noted as being provided by Columbia alone.

MASH is provided by Fox and the "Criterion Collection", which Domino clarified above.

Essentially, neither are confirmed to be from Criterion in this link.

HitchcockLang

#3045 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon May 20, 2019 3:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:51 pm
Why would the Criterion Collection be licensing any 35mm print for theatrical distribution? It’d be Janus for their titles, but Fox titles are licensed separately for Criterion release. Scroll up and you’ll see California Split’s print attributed to Columbia
So you are correct. Mea culpa. I did assume that Criterion must have been a typo when Janus was intended, but now I see that is not even the case.

DeprongMori

#3046 Post by DeprongMori » Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 pm

So, the MASH attribution should be to these folks -- "Criterion Pictures" -- rather than "Criterion Collection"?

In other words, there is no "Criterion Collection" associated with Fox, correct? All of the previous posts (except for dwk's) are rather confusing on this question.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3047 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 20, 2019 4:21 pm

That’s correct. Whoever made the copy presumably just confused the two when writing this up for the website, possibly because they assumed they were the same thing (and many people have over the years)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3048 Post by Drucker » Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Seems like a good chance Girlfriends could be one of the titles in another WB deal. It's featured on the Criterion Channel, and now Criterion has some content about it and an interview with the director up.

jazzo

#3049 Post by jazzo » Wed May 22, 2019 3:53 pm

That would be wonderful. I've been holding off on purchasing the DVD-R Warner Archives version for years now in hope of this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3050 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Discussion of Criterion’s wokeness quotient moved here