Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.

goblinfootballs

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1377 Post by goblinfootballs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:16 pm

ianungstad

#1378 Post by ianungstad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Early last year someone linked to a photo taken in the Criterion office that had a bunch of mock covers for 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days and that still has yet to be scheduled. It seems the cover for the Straw Dogs reissue is pretty set in stone but they're playing around with different fonts.

They almost certainly picked up the 3 OOP Hitchcock titles as well. Looks like Criterion cherry picked the titles they wanted and the rest went to Kino.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1379 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 pm

I think they're ditching the white border on the old design. Too bad, I always liked that choice

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1380 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:28 pm

ianungstad wrote:They almost certainly picked up the 3 OOP Hitchcock titles as well. Looks like Criterion cherry picked the titles they wanted and the rest went to Kino.
When Mister Lime bragged about how they could outbid Criterion, I wonder if that's what happened with the Paradine Case? I have a hard time believing Criterion would pass on any Hitchcock, even a bad one like that

Ribs

#1381 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 pm

I'll just quietly hope they're releasing a box of the first three Albert Brooks movies because the idea they would choose anything other than Real Life to start is crazy to me

FrauBlucher

#1382 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:
ianungstad wrote:They almost certainly picked up the 3 OOP Hitchcock titles as well. Looks like Criterion cherry picked the titles they wanted and the rest went to Kino.
When Mister Lime bragged about how they could outbid Criterion, I wonder if that's what happened with the Paradine Case? I have a hard time believing Criterion would pass on any Hitchcock, even a bad one like that
Mister Lime has to save some face.

If true, here's hoping Criterion can improve on the MGM versions. While the PQ wasn't terrible there was definitely room for improvement.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1383 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Ribs wrote:I'll just quietly hope they're releasing a box of the first three Albert Brooks movies because the idea they would choose anything other than Real Life to start is crazy to me
They have relationships with the studios that put out all of Brooks' films, but I don't know how many they'd want to license

Ribs

#1384 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Huh, I thought Real Life was with WB too, so I guess this makes a little more sense. I'll just cross my fingers they've got Defending Your Life on the cards too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1385 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:48 pm

It was Paramount originally, not sure if it was one if the titles that made it to WB. I'd love to see a box of all the Warner titles or even just Modern Romance from Sony, but let's not kid ourselves, this is prob all we are getting

The Narrator Returns

#1386 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm

They won't be able to use my "The Criterion Collection has heart" jingle in commercials if they don't release Brooks' first two movies...

dwk

#1387 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Unless there was some legal snag, it seems that, if they were so inclined, they could've also licensed The Paradine Case and released it on DVD back when they picked up Rebecca, Notorious, Spellbound and Straw Dogs but didn't.

I fully expected Kino to be re-releasing Straw Dogs. So I wouldn't be surprised if Ian's speculation is correct and Criterion just picked up the four ABC titles they released on DVD. Heck, it may not even be a situation of Criterion cherry picking the best titles but of Disney offering these four (assuming they got all four) back to them.

bradass

#1388 Post by bradass » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:19 pm

If anyone is going to SCMS in Chicago later this month, it's the prime opportunity to ask one of the producers about upcoming releases. Criterion always has a booth set up with the book vendors.

Paupau

#1389 Post by Paupau » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Is Ne change rien also a possibility?

Minkin

#1390 Post by Minkin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 pm

dwk wrote:I fully expected Kino to be re-releasing Straw Dogs.
I assume you meant to say Criterion?

Did the Twitter picture change? Its currently just an image of a guy standing in the Criterion closet. I assume the original picture was of somewhere else in the office - which included that infamous wall of cover art that we saw in the Apu Trilogy video (I think Eric Skillman once described this wall - that its so employees can see the progress on cover art and add any insight). Might someone re-post the original image (if they still have it cached)?

So through the jumble of speculation above, the only things confirmed by the original picture (as I need to update the forthcoming list) are:
Lost in America
Straw Dogs
Stalker
?

knives

#1391 Post by knives » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:22 pm

Paupau wrote:Is Ne change rien also a possibility?
If you mean the Costa, no. It is with Cinema Guild on a very nice disc.

ianungstad

#1392 Post by ianungstad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:23 pm

https://twitter.com/Ahesbert/status/838862209300250625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's actually 4 different images. Click the one in the top right, you can see all the mock covers on the wall.

Saturnome

#1393 Post by Saturnome » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:32 pm

What are the posters in the last image? They're great, I'd love to see the Kate Beaton Five Easy Pieces in full.

I find it strange that 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days is yet to be released. The cover art should be among the last things worked on most releases.

dwk

#1394 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Minkin wrote:
dwk wrote:I fully expected Kino to be re-releasing Straw Dogs.
I assume you meant to say Criterion?

Did the Twitter picture change? Its currently just an image of a guy standing in the Criterion closet. I assume the original picture was of somewhere else in the office - which included that infamous wall of cover art that we saw in the Apu Trilogy video (I think Eric Skillman once described this wall - that its so employees can see the progress on cover art and add any insight). Might someone re-post the original image (if they still have it cached)?

So through the jumble of speculation above, the only things confirmed by the original picture (as I need to update the forthcoming list) are:
Lost in America
Straw Dogs
Stalker
?
No, I meant Kino, who recently announced their big deal with Disney that includes the ABC titles. So Criterion actually having Straw Dogs is a surprise.

Here is the original image (I originally posted a link to the tweet because I was on my phone and couldn't get the url for the image)

hearthesilence

#1395 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Whoah, Albert Brooks' Lost in America is being prepped for the collection! (looks like three, maybe five proofs for the possible cover)

Hope there's more, specifically Real Life, Modern Romance and Defending Your Life.

Minkin

#1396 Post by Minkin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 am

I'm just going to blame Opera for everything today. Opera can be weird sometimes and doesn't like certain websites - as Twitter only showed the image of him in the closet, not the other three. Chrome fixes that issue.

Sorry DWK, I read it as "Expect" not "Expected" - thus, not seeing the image, I thought you meant that Kino was going to release Straw Dogs.

The illustrated posters in that fourth image - I think are from Criterion's stint at hosting movies for the yearly ATP festival. Usually ATP highlighted several titles that we otherwise didn't know about (like Being John Malkovich), but some turned out to be red herrings / released elsewhere - like Ne Change Rien.

By some odd coincidence, Straw Dogs was one of the films that played at Criterion's ATP lineup, and now six years later it turns out to finally be released. So take that Midnight Cowboy for overly long speculation!

I also wonder what the cover next to Othello is (where his head is blocking most of it). Sorta looks like Janus' The Lure poster.

Malickite

#1397 Post by Malickite » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 am

Straw Dogs coming back with an upgrade is brilliant news. I hope it retains all the extras (and then some). The Commentary by Stephen Prince is one of my favorites.

And it looks like we'll probably get Stalker with it, so that's a solid month for me.

Emak-Bakia

#1398 Post by Emak-Bakia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 am

Minkin wrote:The illustrated posters in that fourth image - I think are from Criterion's stint at hosting movies for the yearly ATP festival. Usually ATP highlighted several titles that we otherwise didn't know about (like Being John Malkovich), but some turned out to be red herrings / released elsewhere - like Ne Change Rien.
And I can confirm that this is correct. I shamelessly pulled a number of these posters off the walls at the festival at the end of the weekend (oh how I miss ATP in the US.) There is some gorgeous artwork among them! I've framed a few of them, but, one of these days, I'll have the wall space to hang up every one of them.

zedz

#1399 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Minkin wrote:I'm just going to blame Opera for everything today. Opera can be weird sometimes. . .
Can you imagine how disappointed I was when I figured out that Opera was a species of web browser?

captveg

#1400 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Interesting comment from MisterLime when asked about Criterion having Straw Dogs:
Straw Dogs was part of a much smaller package we bid on and lost. I cannot mention of the other titles in that small package without announcing another label's upcoming releases.
So, I would guess that the titles Criterion previously licensed for DVD release from Disney from the ABC Pictures/Selznick library (Straw Dogs, Spellbound, Notorious, Rebecca, Indiscretion of an American Wife/Terminal Station) were what this "small library" consisted of. It would also explain why MGM/Fox never released more titles from the greater ABC Pictures/Selznick library when they had it on the last go around - they didn't have the larger library, either, but just this "smaller package".