reesepd

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1103 Post by reesepd » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:23 am

swo17 wrote:That's their standard line.
Ah, damn. ](*,)

FrauBlucher

#1104 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:20 am

Anna Karenina (Julien Duvivier, 1948) is on TCM right now and it opened with the Janus logo.

knives

#1105 Post by knives » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 am

They've had it for a long time. It's up on Hulu too.

FrauBlucher

#1106 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:38 am

Right, but according to previous conversations on here, there was a question on whether it was a Fox title or not, with no mention of Janus.

FrauBlucher

#1107 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello Criterion....

Ribs

#1108 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I like to imagine they're having a very intense, long, stressful series of meeting to just try to nail down the final details of The Tree of Wooden Clogs' spine number.

McNulty

#1109 Post by McNulty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Remember when they delayed it twice for the March releases after the phantom pages revealed everything sans upgrade? They should do that again.

Self

#1110 Post by Self » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 pm

With Lone Wolf and Cub being spine 841 what will happen to Tree of Wooden Clogs?

Ribs

#1111 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Self wrote:With Lone Wolf and Cub being spine 841 what will happen to Tree of Wooden Clogs?
This has to be just a weird oversight, right? While I could kind of imagine Criterion doing Eureka Classics-style "titles that we should release but shouldn't put it in the Collection" especially in the wake of Eclipse seeming increasingly outdated I have a hard time imagining why they'd make this film out as one such title.

Minkin

#1112 Post by Minkin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:02 pm

As to this month's roundup of speculation, we get even more surprises!

Lone Wolf and Cub - New Years Clue and the cover artist had been leaking images left and right

Punch-Drunk Love - A complete surprise. I've been hearing people pine for this for a while, but I've never come across anything that it was on Criterion's radar. Being a Sony title, I suppose that's as close to a confirmation as we need at this point.

Kurosawa's Dreams - Criterion's website confirmed they were working on it + that list of OOP WB DVDs that Ian found. An absolute no-brainer from their WB deal.

Squid and the Whale - New Years clue

One-Eyed Jacks - Another surprise! There's been rumblings about this for awhile now. People thought the 2015 New Years Clue was for this film, but it was instead for Jellyfish Eyes. There's been talks of the restoration lately, and rumors, but nothing definitive ever connected this to Criterion.
-----------------------------------------------
This is quite the month! Again, its always a great surprise when we get non-speculated titles announced. There were of course rumors + people might say things like "well, Criterion mentioned this title on a random tumblr/facebook/etc post" - but they do hundreds of things like that, so who knows which one will actually be for a real title they plan to announce?

It looks like they've cleared out their 2016 New Years clues now - with the exception of the angel on the Dr Strangelove bomb. This was considered as a double clue for either Exterminating Angel upgrade or Fallen Angels (still might be likely, given that Kino has let so many foreign titles lapse lately). If anyone can think of something that matches the angel + has already been announced, please let me know!

We'll also now have a backlog of four monthly newsletter clues before the next announcements.

I was rather expecting the Before Trilogy to be announced this month (didn't somewhere confirm it would be a November release?). Still, Lone Wolf and Cub + Dreams are two releases that I've been wanting for years now, thus I'm ecstatic to finally have them!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1113 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Oh shit, you're right, I completely forgot about His Girl Friday breaking the four month rule

theflirtydozen

#1114 Post by theflirtydozen » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 pm

Minkin wrote:Punch-Drunk Love - A complete surprise. I've been hearing people pine for this for a while, but I've never come across anything that it was on Criterion's radar. Being a Sony title, I suppose that's as close to a confirmation as we need at this point.
What about that one post from Reddit (?) that claimed this, a blu upgrade of Daisies, a Béla Tarr film, and a Lana Del Rey set were in the pipeline? Does anyone else remember that?

Luke M

#1116 Post by Luke M » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 pm

While it's fun to daydream about Lana Del Rey entering the collection, I think this guy just got lucky.

Noiradelic

#1117 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 pm

FWIW, A Tarr other than Satantango has been independently rumored, I believe.

movielocke

Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1118 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:54 am

I suppose the overall 2016 slate being the best in a long long time makes up for the weakest November slate I can remember. I'll get Dreams out of this, maybe one eyed jacks if the budget allows, but it's a bubble film at best. I suppose if coupons are active in November I'll probably get lone wolf and cub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by movielocke on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1119 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:59 am

Man, now that I know that a Lana Del Rey music video collection has been whispered about, I want it to happen so bad. Or at least as a Disc 2 to a proper US release of Mommy. Listen, a guy can dream.

miless

#1120 Post by miless » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:37 am

Noiradelic wrote:FWIW, A Tarr other than Satantango has been independently rumored, I believe.
If it were one title. Werckmeister Harmonies is the obvious choice... but damn, I'd love Damnation

I'm hoping everything gets released (although I'm not quite the fan of his pre-Almanac of Fall material... hell, even Almanac is pushing it).

I'm wondering if Gus Van Sant helped to open up the dialogue w/Criterion? He's apparently lecturing (or teaching) at Tarr's film school.

FrauBlucher

#1121 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:12 am

miless wrote:
Noiradelic wrote:FWIW, A Tarr other than Satantango has been independently rumored, I believe.
If it were one title. Werckmeister Harmonies is the obvious choice... but damn, I'd love Damnation

I'm hoping everything gets released (although I'm not quite the fan of his pre-Almanac of Fall material... hell, even Almanac is pushing it).

I'm wondering if Gus Van Sant helped to open up the dialogue w/Criterion? He's apparently lecturing (or teaching) at Tarr's film school.
As well as Jim Jarmusch, who has a relationship with Bela Tarr and has also lectured at Tarr's school. I'm sure any positive feedback from Van Sant and Jarmusch will eventually help lead to Tarr in the collection. Cinema Guild said that the Tarr films need a lot of work to get them ready for blu ray.

reesepd

#1122 Post by reesepd » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 pm

I've been one of the very vocal advocates for Del Rey's videography (even did a 40-minute video essay on them back in January).

I would consider myself dreaming if they released them.

reesepd

#1123 Post by reesepd » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:14 pm

But seriously. I need confirmation that this Lana thing is happening. You guys don't understand the extent to how much I've analyzed that woman's work. :lol:

Zot!

#1124 Post by Zot! » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:41 am

Hey, so she's had some work done, don't judge.

reesepd

#1125 Post by reesepd » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm calling this out as a troll, for now. Still interesting about Franco.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comm ... leased_by/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;