It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 am 

kcota17 wrote:
Since there’s a strong chance Criterion is releasing Fucking Amal now, how will they handle the title / cover? Will it just be called Show Me Love? Could it possibly have reversible art, or will they just be ballsy and release it to stores in its original title.

The original title, with a "Show Me Love" sticker over it on the plastic wrap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 am 

Malickite wrote:
kcota17 wrote:
Since there’s a strong chance Criterion is releasing Fucking Amal now, how will they handle the title / cover? Will it just be called Show Me Love? Could it possibly have reversible art, or will they just be ballsy and release it to stores in its original title.

The original title, with a "Show Me Love" sticker over it on the plastic wrap.

Double sided cover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 am 

Title in small typeface, probably.

That said, they've released titles with nudity on the cover art, so....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:48 pm 

A quick search shows that Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Best Buy all sell products online with the word "fuck" in the title.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm 

Actually Lights in the Dusk is one of my (many) favorites. If pressed to pick just one (at the point of a gun) -- I think I'd actually go with Tatiana.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:35 pm 

Feego wrote:
A quick search shows that Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Best Buy all sell products online with the word "fuck" in the title.

Also, worrying about whether stores (I assume people ITT meant brick & mortar stores) will carry certain Criterion releases is a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm 

I mostly was just thinking about in-store at Barnes and Noble, but yeah, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a big issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm 

Banging Amal?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm 

It's being used as an adjective, not a verb. And Åmål is a place, not a person.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm 

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Breakfast Club
I, Daniel Blake
Westfront 1918
Kameradschaft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:27 pm 

And an Eclipse from one of France's best!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:27 pm 

And a Young Mr. Lincoln upgrade! What a great month!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:34 pm 

I am disappointed by the lack of Moodysson.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:35 pm 

Great news! I thought Eclipse line was dead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 pm 

Cinephrenic wrote:
Great news! I thought Eclipse line was dead.

The lesson is that we can never count it out.

(And also: It will never change. I really thought that if it would rear its head again there'd be some new element involving a limited BD release or something but I'm just so giddy to not only get the line back but for it to be a really interesting left-field choice and not just more Ozu or the promised Berlanga set)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm 

Were it not for the MoC releases- which are missing a few features but are essentially a 2-for-1 deal pricewise- this would be a really exciting month, and I can hardly blame Criterion for what happens overseas. The resurrection of Eclipse and a newly recorded scholarly commentary are both things I hope for every month, so I'm glad to see both in one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 pm 

As others have mentioned, I'm excited for the return of Eclipse!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 pm 

I'll also be one to echo the 'Welcome back, Eclipse' sentiment. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 pm 

Here's my usual month thing:

Kameradschaft - Been a known Janus title forever, never confirmed /speculated, but was recently making theatrical rounds from Janus (glad they went with the original German title rather than Comradeship)

Westfront 1918 - Same as Kameradschaft

I, Daniel Blake - Not speculated, but a Palme winning IFC title was going to be Criterion-bound.

The Breakfast Club - June newsletter clue

Young Mr Lincoln - Random upgrade, nobody saw coming

Eclipse: Claude Autant-Lara - Oddly, 3 of the 4 are on Filmstruck: Lettres d’amour is the one missing. No rumors or anything
=======================================
A month full of surprises! Only one of them was really to be expected. 267 Blu-ray upgrades remain. Depending on your side of the small mammal (let's not start this again), they have 3 Best Picture winners as newsletter clues yet to be announced - which might make for a good February or March slate. Very surprised that Eclipse came back - and without any changes in format - especially after they already rescued two Ozu films (it seems weird to see DVD only titles in 2017 - but I suppose its better to have a DVD than no release at all - not like there's hundreds of unreleased Janus films that they could get to if the studios weren't dropping everything left and right :P ). My S/O planned to wear their Breakfast Club shirt when we bought the title, until I mentioned that it will be out for the Flash Sale, the response: "Fine then, so I'll wear it to the mail box."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 am 

Minkin wrote:
Depending on your side of the small mammal (let's not start this again), they have 3 Best Picture winners as newsletter clues yet to be announced - which might make for a good February or March slate.

Tom Jones and what else?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am 

felipe wrote:
Minkin wrote:
Depending on your side of the small mammal (let's not start this again), they have 3 Best Picture winners as newsletter clues yet to be announced - which might make for a good February or March slate.

Tom Jones and what else?

The Silence of the Lambs, and, debatably, Midnight Cowboy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 am 

swo17 wrote:
It's being used as an adjective, not a verb. And Åmål is a place, not a person.

Well, technically both are verbs, one being used adjectivally as a participle, the other being used nominally as a gerund. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm 

Regarding MIDNIGHT COWBOY - if this in reference to the sick looking "rat," that was actually a clue for IL SORPASSO (ill, sore possum).

For the New Years Clue, three clues still remain (the window in the background, the waving "T," and the sixteen candles that are scattered throughout).

In terms of other Criterion films that are on the horizon (that weren't a part of the newsletter/New Years' clues), NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (the DCP that was screened in Los Angeles was gorgeous) and COME AND SEE (the Los Angeles screening they had this Sunday listed the film under Janus, though they played a Kino 35mm print - I'm assuming Janus only had a DCP).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:56 pm 

The waving “T” was already figured out as Othello (oh T hello).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm 

Though there is yet another clue remaining: the window with a tree and the rising(?) sun. It is probably for The Tree of Life.

Have you, guys, figured out what the second Cuban (or Puerto-Rican) flag was? I am so hoping it is for I Am Cuba.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 80  Next