Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
colinr0380

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3801 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 pm

From a recent Guardian article on Welcome II The Terrordome:
The film itself, meanwhile, is available to watch on BFI Player as part of We Are Parable’s Black British film season, and a Criterion re-release is in the works.
We had a bit of a debate about this during the 1990s list a few years back. Whilst I had qualms about it back then (mostly the interchangeability of African American and Black British experience without getting into specifics, though as Satori mentioned in their response that may be the point), its certainly a film that (sadly) seems just as relevant to the current climate as it did back in the 1990s.

I would expect an Ashley Clark liner notes essay on this edition at the very least, since he helped to rediscover the film for US audiences in recent years! And there are a lot of short films by Onwurah that it would be wonderful to have a chance to see.

beamish14

#3802 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Hopper/Welles, a conversation between Dennis Hopper
and Orson Welles courtesy of the creative team that finished The Other Side of the Wind, is hitting festivals soon. Seems like a plausible
reason for why TOSOTW hasn't been released on Criterion just yet.

Pavel

#3804 Post by Pavel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:54 pm

I suspect so; doubt Criterion will release all eight of the added films separately (especially, say, Adoration or Next of Kin).

willoneill

#3805 Post by willoneill » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Pavel wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:54 pm
I suspect so; doubt Criterion will release all eight of the added films separately (especially, say, Adoration or Next of Kin).
I'm going to disagree slightly; of the 8 Egoyans currently playing on the Criterion channel, 7 are his first 7 features, and then they skip 3 films and show Adoration. So if anything, the first 7 might be a box set and then Adoration separate. Or even more likely, the first four in a set, because they used to have/still have the same U.S. rights holder (Zeitgeist), and then the other four separately or in a second set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3807 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Not a surprise, was hinted in the new year’s clue a few years ago, but one I think many assumed was stalled

CSM126

#3808 Post by CSM126 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm
Not a surprise, was hinted in the new year’s clue a few years ago, but one I think many assumed was stalled
To be fair, the clue was a Cuban flag and some music notes, which could just as easily have been referencing Buena Vista Social Club.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#3809 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 pm

If it at all comes out (and of course it is a big 'if,' thank you left Twitter for that), hopefully they can use the original 6-track mix.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3810 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:09 pm

Oh lord, what now? Is Natalie Wood canceled for being Maria? Is “Gee Officer Krupke”’s mockery of bleeding heart liberals too hot to handle these days?

Big Ben

#3811 Post by Big Ben » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 pm

My memory is absolute trash right now but I don't recall West Side Story being offensive to the point that anyone would complain about it to the point of denying it a release. I mean it's dated in some respects and "Gee Officer Krupke" may cause some eye rolls here and there but I don't think that's a deal-breaker. I mean even Gone With the Wind came back with a simple disclaimer and that's a way, way worse film to discuss in the current zeitgeist.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3812 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13 pm

It made my eyes roll so far back into my head I could see my brain trying to come up with the perfect quip when it was revealed they cut “Krupke” from the remake for a song called “ACAB”— oh dear me, we can’t have any self-criticism from the left, let’s change the target to the current zeitgeist of flipping off cops from a safe distance instead

Never Cursed

#3813 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm

It's mostly stuff relating to the brownface/white actors playing Puerto Rican-Americans. I've seen the pushback from people both online and in the real world, with many of the people I personally know to be against the film entrenched in left/film twitter circles
Last edited by Never Cursed on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ribs

#3814 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm

I would not be surprised if the other MGM/UA Best Picture winners that aren’t Rocky are all on the docket - Kramer vs Kramer, Ordinary People (no Blu anywhere in the world, weirdly!), and Terms of Endearment all seem like things they’d go after.

Big Ben

#3815 Post by Big Ben » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13 pm
It made my eyes roll so far back into my head I could see my brain trying to come up with the perfect quip when it was revealed they cut “Krupke” from the remake for a song called “ACAB”— oh dear me, we can’t have any self-criticism from the left, let’s change the target to the current zeitgeist of flipping off cops from a safe distance instead
Did you read that somewhere else? I could have sworn it was just a joke a user here made. But again my brain is mush.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3816 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Now that Roman Holiday is finally coming, Ordinary People has to be the most inexplicable MIA title from Blu-Ray world wide. But it’s with Paramount, which I remember because my DVD copy of it came with one of those dumb 80s mix CDs for some reason

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3817 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Did you read that somewhere else? I could have sworn it was just a joke a user here made. But again my brain is mush.
Without checking I’m pretty sure it was Never Cursed who posted it? If it was a joke, then that was a big woosh on me

Ribs

#3818 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Whoops! Memory failed me, suppose that kind of explains why no one has done it anywhere. Still think the other two seem likely for revisits, from Criterion or from others, MGM seems to be making a real effort at new go-rounds for its classics.

Never Cursed

#3819 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:23 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Without checking I’m pretty sure it was Never Cursed who posted it? If it was a joke, then that was a big woosh on me
I think you're referring to the following (which I'm 99% is a joke)
whaleallright wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 pm
The song "Gee, Officer Krupke" has been replaced by the newly-written "ACAB."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3820 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 pm

Sorry for impugning you! I am only too glad to be the victim of eating the Onion on this because I’d much rather live in a world where that didn’t happen

therewillbeblus

#3821 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:35 pm

I just bought the 50th anniversary blu of West Side Story last month, so there ya go. Considering Kindergarten Cop has been getting canceled lately for being something related to police, Criterion needs to think about how woke it wants to be and draw some lines in the sand before getting swallowed up by the zeitgeist entirely.

willoneill

#3822 Post by willoneill » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Ribs wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm
I would not be surprised if the other MGM/UA Best Picture winners that aren’t Rocky are all on the docket - Kramer vs Kramer, Ordinary People (no Blu anywhere in the world, weirdly!), and Terms of Endearment all seem like things they’d go after.
Terms of Endearment is, like Ordinary People, a Paramount film, and Kramer is Sony.

Ribs

#3823 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Ha, don’t mind me, I guess I just imagined some weird miracle run for MGM for several years, sorry!

Calvin

#3824 Post by Calvin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:16 pm

After Rocky, UA did win again with Annie Hall - another film (with a recent restoration, not yet released) that could go to Criterion if they ignore Film Twitter.

Blutarsky

#3825 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:37 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:16 pm
After Rocky, UA did win again with Annie Hall - another film (with a recent restoration, not yet released) that could go to Criterion if they ignore Film Twitter.
If by some miracle Annie Hall was released by Criterion, it would seem like a waste. Allen is notorious on having no special features. Maybe he’ll relent if Criterion decide to release his most popular film.

I know this isn’t related to the UA discussion but is Mean Streets OOP by Warner Bros. ? Could we assume Criterion has access to early Scorsese features sans Taxi Driver?