Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2401 Post by Noodles1984 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:35 am
Noodles1984 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:26 pm
Cinephrenic wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:59 pm
Anybody have any news on Visconti's The Damned? Does Warner still have rights to this?
The last news i heard about The Damned were about the restoration 7 yrs ago, here is the source http://www.cinetecadibologna.it/evp_col ... -27/h_1430
I expect that they will be published as double release and that the documentary about the casting of DIV (never seen it) called "Searching for Tadzio" will be included in hd as an extra.
These for me are days of trustful waiting, hurry up Criterion!! :)
Did you know that Miguel Bosé, son of the Italian actress Lucía Bosé, was chosen by his godfather Visconti to play Tadzio in the film?
The father - a Spanish bullfighter - objected and this forced Luchino to find a new boy in Scandinavia.
There are many interesting stories about Death in Venice..
Thanks for the info Toby ;) i think DIV can be released soon...if i'm right The Leopard was restored in June of 2010 and was released in september/october of the same year by the Collection...

jwd5275

#2402 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Several new WCP films on the Film Foundation site:

Chronicle of the Years of Fire (1975) - Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina - Algeria
Pixote (1981) - Héctor Babenco - Brazil
Prisioneros de la Tierra (1939) - Mario Soffici - Argentina

Cremildo

#2403 Post by Cremildo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm

'Pixote' was released here in Brazil on DVD, in a 4x3 copy, which is absurd. (many of our most important classics either remain unreleased or were released in pan-and-scan or non-anamorphic DVDs. Ugh.) A Criterion edition would be most welcome, even if in a collection like 'Limite'.

Big Ben

#2404 Post by Big Ben » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm

The thing is is that a lot of my Brazilian friends don't know anymore about their own film history thank folks in the US do. From my own observation my friends would much rather consume Marvel films rather than their own cultures films. Hell, the US even produced a Woody Woodpecker film (Pica Pau) that was released in Brazil before the US and that did better over there than it did here! Perhaps I haven't met enough Brazilians but I doubt many would be rushing out to see Pixote anymore than a US citizen would. It's a good thing to have released as my fear of a looming Bolsonaro isn't going to do Brazil's cultural heritage any favors.

Morbii

#2405 Post by Morbii » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm
The thing is is that a lot of my Brazilian friends don't know anymore about their own film history thank folks in the US do. From my own observation my friends would much rather consume Marvel films rather than their own cultures films. Hell, the US even produced a Woody Woodpecker film (Pica Pau) that was released in Brazil before the US and that did better over there than it did here! Perhaps I haven't met enough Brazilians but I doubt many would be rushing out to see Pixote anymore than a US citizen would. It's a good thing to have released as my fear of a looming Bolsonaro isn't going to do Brazil's cultural heritage any favors.
Isn't that basically true around much of the world though, including in the U.S. (or even especially)? I have a Japanese co-worker/friend that comes here every so often, and he didn't even realize that Japan was there making films near the beginning. He's aware of modern Japanese films, but completely oblivious to most older ones, and from what he's told me I gathered he's mostly watching American films (i.e. Marvel, etc).

Cremildo

#2406 Post by Cremildo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm
Perhaps I haven't met enough Brazilians but I doubt many would be rushing out to see Pixote anymore than a US citizen would.
I'm sorry to say your assessment is accurate, at least in terms of contemporary times. 'Pixote' was a success back in 1980 (2.5 million tickets sold), but nowadays it's mostly television-like comedies or religious biopics that draw big crowds. I haven't seen a Brazilian film on the big screen since 2008, because none of the interesting ones play anywhere near me.

However, I suspect that our indifference towards our own cinematic heritage stems at least in part from both the lack of availability and the poor quality of the copies of the relatively few classics released on DVD. If not even dedicated cinephiles can get their hands on decent copies of the work of filmmakers like Julio Bressane and Ruy Guerra, then how can one hope to spark interest among a more general audience? Mind you, even when important work is released (such as the three Nelson Pereira dos Santos boxsets), the company that puts it out is dubious, the price is obscene and there is an absolute lack of technical reviews to inform potential buyers.

Sorry for derailing the thread with this rather esoteric talk, but if even Kino is about to release a Joaquim Pedro de Andrade boxset on Blu-ray in the United States, then perhaps Criterion could be a bit adventurous and include Brazil a little more in their world cinema efforts. Even an Eclipse set would be thrilling!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2407 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 pm

They sure didn't rest on their laurels with the Bergman box in November, did they? Mizoguchi, Wilder, and Welles would have made for a strong month in and of themselves...

DeprongMori

#2408 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Looks like Death In Venice is certainly coming, according to the Venice 2018 screening schedule for restorations.
MORTE A VENEZIA (DEATH IN VENICE)
by LUCHINO VISCONTI (Italy, France, USA, 1971, 130’, COL.)
restoration: Cineteca di Bologna and Istituto Luce - Cinecittà in collaboration with Warner Bros. and The Criterion Collection

Minkin

#2409 Post by Minkin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Speculation Round-Up time!

The Magnificent Ambersons - May newsletter clue; confirmed after that; on that list of OOP WB DVDs; long rumored as forthcoming; one of the most obvious WB deal selections; former Laserdisc title.

Some Like It Hot - Recently confirmed via Venice restoration credits; former Laserdisc title.

A Story from Chikamatsu - Was making the theatrical rounds from Janus (not one of those main-page "official tours" but one of their lower-key Janus tours they've done - like for The Baker's Wife or La Vallée). Also on Filmstruck.

True Stories - Was confirmed via social media.
============================================================
Glad to see more from the WB deal - after a drought for most of 2018. They've really been going after former laserdisc titles. Zero surprises from this bunch - as all were well confirmed. Excited to rewatch Ambersons after having only seen it on a terrible library VHS about 10 years ago (same with Greed - so hopefully that's next in terms of lost-footage obvious WB deal picks).

Toby Dammit

#2410 Post by Toby Dammit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm
Looks like Death In Venice is certainly coming, according to the Venice 2018 screening schedule for restorations.
restoration: Cineteca di Bologna and Istituto Luce - Cinecittà in collaboration with Warner Bros. and The Criterion Collection
So soon as December?
I think it will be reserved for the line-up 2019

The big question is: It will be come with The Damned?

cpetrizzi

#2411 Post by cpetrizzi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:38 am

Omensetter wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 am
It's the same Shinarbaev film.

There's also test film (2010) and Murderous Maids (2000), which has a cover of sorts.

My browser is taking forever to load Murderous Maids, so I am going to save myself some time and state that Come and See is the only one coming from these, it seems, test films.
I'm not sure if Murderous Maids has it's own thread. All I could find was this reference.

My Rialto Box Set is coming soon. This is a last piece of the puzzle for my personal collection, so I was wondering if watching this would change my life. Anyone comment?

Werewolf by Night

#2412 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 pm

It will change your life in that you'll forever wonder why you didn't just watch La Cérémonie instead (or again).

jbeall

#2413 Post by jbeall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm a little disappointed that A Story by Chikamatsu wasn't accompanied by an upgrade of Double Suicide, even though I haven't seen any indications that they were planning to upgrade the latter. Perhaps this can be the impetus for them to consider doing so.

Toby Dammit

#2414 Post by Toby Dammit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:11 pm

jbeall wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm
I'm a little disappointed that A Story by Chikamatsu wasn't accompanied by an upgrade of Double Suicide, even though I haven't seen any indications that they were planning to upgrade the latter. Perhaps this can be the impetus for them to consider doing so.

Which is the link between "Chikamatsu" and "Double Suicide"? Excuse my ignorance

Noodles1984

#2415 Post by Noodles1984 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 am
DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm
So soon as December?
I think it will be reserved for the line-up 2019

The big question is: It will be come with The Damned?
Same question Toby...i think that The Damned is the title i really wish more above all , then Death in Venice.
A release of Ossessione (now restored in 4k) and Fellini Nights of Cabiria would be lovely too...

gandskid

#2416 Post by gandskid » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I am wondering if a Criterion Juliet of the Spirits Blu ray might be coming soon, since there is a new Region B version being released next month from Cult Epics.
I also agree that a BD of Ossessione would be most welcome.

Werewolf by Night

#2417 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Toby Dammit wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:11 pm
jbeall wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm
Which is the link between "Chikamatsu" and "Double Suicide"? Excuse my ignorance
They are both based on plays by Chikamatsu Monzaemon.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2418 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Lots of other Chikamatsu adaptations that haven't gotten any English-subbed releases... ;-)

jbeall

#2419 Post by jbeall » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 am

Criterion should do an Eclipse set, or even a December box of Chikamatsu adaptations!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2420 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:29 pm

jbeall wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 am
Criterion should do an Eclipse set, or even a December box of Chikamatsu adaptations!
Possible inclusions" -- Imai's Night Drum (1958), Uchida's Chikamatsu's Love in Osaka (1959), Shinoda's Double Suicide (1969), Masumura's Double Suicidal of Sonezaki (1978), Kurisaki's Love Suicide at Sonezaki (1980 -- filmed bunraku performance, shot by Miyagawa in actual Kyoto area locations), Shinoda's Gonza the Spearman (1986), and Gosha's Oil Hell Murder (1992). Kitano's Dolls was clearly inspired by Chikamatsu, but not based on any particular work (other than the bunraku extract one sees at the beginning).

KJones77

#2421 Post by KJones77 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 am

https://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2018/daily ... announced/

Tunes of Glory (dir. Ronald Neame) got a restoration from Janus that will premiere at NYFF. Would imagine an upgrade will be around the corner.

criterionoop

#2422 Post by criterionoop » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Looks like Janus has the rights to LA FIEVRE MONTE A EL PAO

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... ttle-beach

KJones77

#2423 Post by KJones77 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Randall Maysin

#2424 Post by Randall Maysin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:20 pm

I guess Jon Mulvaney's lips are sealed unless you're somebody in the film world.

Lowry_Sam

#2425 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:52 pm

Coming soon to a theatre near you, the films you know & love by Wong Kar Wai.....now in SepiaVision!