It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post... what here?

It's locked because it is only relevant right before titles are announced, but ponderous when it's a month out from a new batch of announcements. It's the same reason the Newsletter thread is locked most of the month too - there's no reason to keep bumping these all month long every time someone wants to go "Um... Fight Club, maybe?"

EDIT: That being said, it's about time to unlock it for this month, so I went ahead and did so. Have at it.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm
Ribs wrote:
Criterion is sitting on dozens if not hundreds of films that have been restored and they could just do an upgrade of with no new features, but they only release at the most 15 upgrades a year. It will probably show up in the fullness of time, but the way they decide what gets the go-ahead to be restored seems totally arbitrary much of the time.


Is this really true? Cause it seems we only get upgrades after a known restoration and/or a revival of some sorts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Post... what here?

It's locked because it is only relevant right before titles are announced, but ponderous when it's a month out from a new batch of announcements. It's the same reason the Newsletter thread is locked most of the month too - there's no reason to keep bumping these all month long every time someone wants to go "Um... Fight Club, maybe?"

EDIT: That being said, it's about time to unlock it for this month, so I went ahead and did so. Have at it.

I must be misunderstanding something. Is it not the 13th of December today? And do the announcements not get made on the 15th of each month (barring weekends etc.)? So are we not within 2 days of the announcement? Unless December is an exceptional month I do not understand the comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
To be fair, the only times I ever remember to unlock that thread are when someone asks about it here (though usually more politely).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm
Y’all are underestimating the fun of guessing Criterions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.

If I offended someone by asking the question, or the way I asked the question, I apologize.
I know that whoever is managing the "Quarterly Guessing" thread is providing a service, and I appreciate that.
If the prevailing view is that this thread is a silly nuisance, then I suggest we end it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 am 

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm
Does Criterion have a history with Disney? I'm only asking this because the rights to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" belong to Fox and Disney has bought Fox, which could delay the announcement of GBH.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 am 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:23 pm
Someday, someone is going to win that million dollar prize for correctly guessing all the releases.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Does Criterion have a history with Disney? I'm only asking this because the rights to "The Grand Budapest Hotel" belong to Fox and Disney has bought Fox, which could delay the announcement of GBH.

They have a history with both when it comes to Anderson - Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic were all Disney, and The Darjeeling Limited and Fantastic Mr. Fox were Fox. Also, your username makes me want to jump into the Grand Canyon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:50 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
mfunk9786 wrote:
I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.

Sorry kekid -- this was rude. Both swo and domino are correct in that a polite reminder is the way to go, I just didn't interpret your initial reminder as anything but a whine and it rubbed me the wrong way. Still not worthy of this kind of crotchety response. Onward and upward. Guess away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)


Everybody listing their wishlists in the Paramount thread is so much worse.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
I don't understand your original comment. Can we not reduce ourselves to now complaining not only when the announcements are late, but also when the announcement guessing thread is late? You really need to post a few guesses as to the titles that are going to be announced so badly that you "have to" post it somewhere else? The whole idea of having a thread guessing at titles that is hardly ever open is to give something utterly irrelevant a place to go instead of clogging this thread up. I hate to be harsh, but in the future it probably makes sense to just wait for someone to open the thread up instead of getting into a semantic argument about what day of the month it is.

Worth repeating: The guessing thread is now unlocked. I repeat, the thread is now unlocked.

Sorry kekid -- this was rude. Both swo and domino are correct in that a polite reminder is the way to go, I just didn't interpret your initial reminder as anything but a whine and it rubbed me the wrong way. Still not worthy of this kind of crotchety response. Onward and upward. Guess away.


Thank you all, for a civilized close to this exchange.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm
Luke M wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Most of the mods here, myself included, hate the guessing thread. I created it to keep it to one thread, and it spreading out elsewhere produced the above response. But swo is also right, I don't know that any of us have ever remembered to unlock it without a polite reminder (usually someone PMs me)
Everybody listing their wishlists in the Paramount thread is so much worse.

I disagree because the Paramount discussion was short-lived, but the monthly guessing is forever and litters forum search results with titles that no one is actually discussing. If I want to search for a post about Wr----n on the Wind or The L--y Eve, most of the results that come up for the past several years are incorrect guesses of when they'll be released on Blu-ray, and in both examples this goes back over four years' worth of posts. (Titles altered so that this post will not similarly clutter searches for titles I'm not actually talking about)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
The Lazy Eve sounds like it could be a fake movie title in a Sturges film


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Criterion just tweeted this still from what appears to be Martin Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence.

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/941708309144403968


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 pm
I think anything Scorsese in the "not Goodfellas and Taxi Driver" has been a long time coming. It is one of those scenarios where all his movies are widely available (excluding a few examples, I know Kundun was finally just released on blu) which works against him being in the catalog, but any of his films would sell wonderfully.

I would have thought New York, New York would have been included by now, and I recall rumblings of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore being added.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:57 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
Criterion just tweeted this still from what appears to be Martin Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence.

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/941708309144403968



OMG, I hope they release this!
I've been hanging on too much not to buy the European edition.
I think this is my favourite romantic period drama ever!


Last edited by Costa on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
Would make sense to capitalize on the Phantom Thread buzz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 8:17 am
Location: 39ºN,8ºW
It would be great to get consecutive spine-numbers for The Age of Innocence and for Terence Davies' The House of Mirth. (Both are Sony titles, no?)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:20 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
[Reveal] Spoiler:
King of Jazz (John Murray Anderson)
Women in Love (Ken Russell)
Baal (Volker Schlöndorff)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
The Age of Innocence (Martin Scorsese)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Here's that monthly thing that I post:

The Age of Innocence - People have been wanting this / speculating it - but we've never had any sort of confirmation, thus a surprise

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Janus tour / reissue

Baal - Complete surprise, never hinted or rumored or even guessed by anyone here

Women in Love - Nov newsletter clue + this was one of those MisterLime hinted Criterion films

King of Jazz - Recently restored, phantom page for the director in September, otherwise a surprise
==============================================
So, 3/5 were surprises this month! Although I expect the number of surprises to drop for the next few months as we'll be getting a ton of new clues (and Domino headaches) in a couple of weeks. Non-Blu upgrades remaining: 264.

I'm hoping King of Jazz means Criterion is interested in more 30s musicals, and we'll get most all of the Astaire, and Busby Berkeley films.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:

Seeing The Tree of Wooden Clogs and Germany Year Zero mentioned in the Forum Awards thread got me wondering if anyone here goes to this, can you please ask about the color timing on the former and why they used the older master for the latter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:31 am
Have there been any possible hints about Mike Leigh's Career Girls becoming a part of the collection? The barebones Fox DVD in the States has been OOP for a while and often sells for over $70.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection