Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1976 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:14 pm

I guess anything is possible, but the last time CC gave a monthly newsletter clue for a title still in print for upgrade was April of 2014 (The Vanishing).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1977 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:16 pm

The idea that it's Loves of a Blonde and not Women in Love is why people shouldn't be allowed to post online

What A Disgrace

#1978 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:32 pm

There's two zeroes, so its obviously a triple clue for Zero Focus, Zero Dark Thirty and Loves of a Blonde.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1979 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am

If it were Loves of a Blonde, why wouldn't they have colored the girl's hair blonde?

Cinephrenic

#1980 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Loves of a Blonde is already in the collection. It would just be a upgrade, people. Why would they bother making an announcement of it? Besides...I don't see any blonde hair. ;)

Wittsdream

#1981 Post by Wittsdream » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Criterion or Studio Canal sections, as it pertains to both.

Has it been speculated that Criterion will eventually release the two Losey films "The Accident" and "The Servant" on BR? I didn't see any mention of it on this forum's "Criterion Forthcoming" list. I know that Criterion has picked up Studio Canal titles in the past that have undergone recent restoration and toured theatrically under the Rialto label.

If not, then I may just go ahead and pick up the Studio Canal versions on Blu-Ray that were released four years ago (which I missed out on), but are still available to buy. Those editions garnered rave reviews, both on Blu-Ray.com and DVDBeaver.com.

Thoughts?

Bruce

#1982 Post by Bruce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:18 am

2018 will be the 50th anniversary of Tony Richardson's great 'The Charge Of The Light Brigade'. Is there any chance that Criterion could follow up on their 'Tom Jones' release by releasing a full uncut version of this masterpiece?

GiggityGoo

#1983 Post by GiggityGoo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Last night I attended "A John Waters Christmas" here in LA. During the Q&A, I asked if we'd be seeing any more of his older films released by Criterion. He said, "Nothing older than 'Multiple Maniacs'. The music rights for 'Mondo Trasho' would be too expensive." Before he could turn away, I blurted out, "No, I mean older films that came after 'Multiple Maniacs', specifically 'Female Trouble', which is my favorite." He made a "I can't say anything" face and gesture, and then said "I'm not sayin' anything!" before going to the next question.

So my Christmas wish has basically been granted. Between classic Waters and the Godzilla movies, the next couple of years will see Criterion absorb a LOT of my discretionary income...

flyonthewall2983

#1984 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Any idea what the coming Disney/Fox deal means for their deals with Criterion?

Ribs

#1985 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Nothing for some time, as the deal will take years to go through if it even does?

Minkin

#1986 Post by Minkin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:02 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Any idea what the coming Disney/Fox deal means for their deals with Criterion?
I'd expect that Disney couldn't care less about 99% of the Fox catalog, so I'm sure it would all be licensed out (probably similar to whats going on with MGM). So I would only expect more from Criterion and not worry about anything they've already licensed.

AquaNarc

#1987 Post by AquaNarc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am

edit: guess I should make a thread

Big Ben

#1988 Post by Big Ben » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Looks like those guesses in the phantom pages thread were correct about The Stunt Man. It's now on Filmstruck.

dwk

#1990 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm

More Carlos Reygadas coming to Criterion
In three months "Japan" can be enjoyed in Blu-Ray format and will be part of the classics of world cinema. There is also an arrangement for the rest of his films to be gradually added to the catalog of the US company, such as Batalla en el cielo (2005), Luz silenciosa (2007) and Post Tenebras Lux (2012).

knives

#1991 Post by knives » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm doubtful on that last one as I believe Strand's disc is still in print.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1992 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 pm

If Strand seemingly let go of Fucking Åmål for Criterion, it's not implausible

knives

#1993 Post by knives » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 pm

They might have lost the rights to that though, no? It certainly isn't in print like Reygadas' film.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1994 Post by swo17 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Well they did say gradually.

Morbii

#1995 Post by Morbii » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 am

Any chance Criterion might/can add eXistenZ to their Cronenberg selections?

And any reason why they wouldn’t upgrade The Human Condition, or is it expected to maybe just pop up one day?

Ribs

#1996 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am

Criterion is sitting on dozens if not hundreds of films that have been restored and they could just do an upgrade of with no new features, but they only release at the most 15 upgrades a year. It will probably show up in the fullness of time, but the way they decide what gets the go-ahead to be restored seems totally arbitrary much of the time.

In the case of the Human Condition, it's a big expensive box set that's still relying on the same master they sourced the DVD from. I don't really see why they'd rush to get to it.

kekid

#1997 Post by kekid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Why is Quarantined Monthly Guessing locked up to two days before the announcement date? I have to post this here (or somewhere) because the right place to post it is locked.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1998 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Post... what here?

It's locked because it is only relevant right before titles are announced, but ponderous when it's a month out from a new batch of announcements. It's the same reason the Newsletter thread is locked most of the month too - there's no reason to keep bumping these all month long every time someone wants to go "Um... Fight Club, maybe?"

EDIT: That being said, it's about time to unlock it for this month, so I went ahead and did so. Have at it.

Luke M

Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1999 Post by Luke M » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Ribs wrote:Criterion is sitting on dozens if not hundreds of films that have been restored and they could just do an upgrade of with no new features, but they only release at the most 15 upgrades a year. It will probably show up in the fullness of time, but the way they decide what gets the go-ahead to be restored seems totally arbitrary much of the time.
Is this really true? Cause it seems we only get upgrades after a known restoration and/or a revival of some sorts.

kekid

#2000 Post by kekid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Post... what here?

It's locked because it is only relevant right before titles are announced, but ponderous when it's a month out from a new batch of announcements. It's the same reason the Newsletter thread is locked most of the month too - there's no reason to keep bumping these all month long every time someone wants to go "Um... Fight Club, maybe?"

EDIT: That being said, it's about time to unlock it for this month, so I went ahead and did so. Have at it.
I must be misunderstanding something. Is it not the 13th of December today? And do the announcements not get made on the 15th of each month (barring weekends etc.)? So are we not within 2 days of the announcement? Unless December is an exceptional month I do not understand the comment.