Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#376 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 pm

I think Midnight Cowboy is an Easter Egg on the Il Sorpasso disc that no one has found yet. :P

RSTooley

#377 Post by RSTooley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:15 pm

They did knock out 'coat unknown', 'inn cold blood', and 'don't look Bach' in a single month.

That is, if 'inn cold blood' doesn't end up being a double clue for Only Lovers Left Alive.

Because double clues exist...
SpoilerShow

Cinephrenic

#378 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Smart drawing

Altair

#379 Post by Altair » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:39 am

Peter Bogdanovich, in an interview with RogerEbert.com:
Q: A lot of your films have been reedited or reshaped a little after the fact…there’s a different version of “At Long Last Love” on Blu-ray, you put the right music back in for “Mask,” and I think the long version of “Texasville” is one of the great American films of all time. It’s only available on Laserdisc though.

A: I’m trying to get Criterion to put it out, and they’re thinking about it…it’s a much better film in the long version.

hollis

#380 Post by hollis » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:09 am

Since they're splitting up the BBS box, might as well pair it with The Last Picture Show

ianungstad

#381 Post by ianungstad » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Scorsese's Film Foundation is world premiering it's restoration of John Ford's The Long Voyage Home at the NYFF.

andyli

#382 Post by andyli » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:25 am

FWIW, under the entry of The Long Voyage Home at NYFF website it says "A Westchester Films and Shout! Factory release".

Ashirg

#383 Post by Ashirg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:06 am

Shout! Factory owns streaming rights. Westchester Films can still entertain option to release it through Criterion, like they recently done with Breaker Morant and Mister Johnson.

FrauBlucher

#384 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:55 am

The Wexner Center said Criterion will not be there in October but will be there in January.

ianungstad

#385 Post by ianungstad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:47 am

The Long Voyage Home has been licensed to Criterion by Westchester. It's on Criterion's Hulu channel.

The NYFF also has a program dedicated to Scorsese's WCP Project. Weirdly; only two of the titles screening are credited to Janus:

A Touch of Zen (King Hu)
Black Girl (Ousmane Sembene)

FrauBlucher

#386 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Maybe I should hold off on ordering BFI's Black Girl.

jwd5275

#387 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:20 pm

ianungstad wrote:The NYFF also has a program dedicated to Scorsese's WCP Project. Weirdly; only two of the titles screening are credited to Janus:

A Touch of Zen (King Hu)
Black Girl (Ousmane Sembene)
Having Janus credited for Black Girl is certainly encouraging, in that it shows that they have plans for the newer WCF titles. The only other WCF titles are Insiang and The Boys from Fengkuei, which are the two most recent 2015 restorations and The Boys from Fengkuei is not even up on the WCF website.

This confirms A Touch of Zen. It would be nice if they picked up the restored Dragon Inn along with Come Drink With Me too.

ianungstad

#388 Post by ianungstad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm

I don't think the restoration of Dragon Inn from last year was done by the WCP. I'm not sure if Criterion is obligated to release these films in catch-all boxsets or if they have to include the WCP branding but from a commercial standpoint; it would make sense for them to license the restoration of Dragon Inn and pair it up with A Touch of Zen and market it as a set of classic kung fu films.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#389 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:08 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Maybe I should hold off on ordering BFI's Black Girl.
BFI confirmed for me here, their release of both films is sourced from WCP.

htom

#390 Post by htom » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 pm

ianungstad wrote:I don't think the restoration of Dragon Inn from last year was done by the WCP.
Apparently it wasn't.

jwd5275

#391 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:51 am

A Touch of Zen is not a WCP film either, it is just playing at the NYFF at the same time as the Film Foundation/WCP retrospective. The restoration most likely was done by the Taipei Film Archive like Dragon Inn (It was a rep from Taipei film archive that first passed on the info in July).

ianungstad

#392 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:22 pm

The Telluride slate was announced today. One of the major galas is the premiere of the restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon. I remember Peter Becker making some suggestive comments at the Wexner Center chat 2 years back that Criterion may have the rights to it and they were waiting on a restoration.

RyanGallagher

#393 Post by RyanGallagher » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:29 pm

ianungstad wrote:The Telluride slate was announced today. One of the major galas is the premiere of the restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon. I remember Peter Becker making some suggestive comments at the Wexner Center chat 2 years back that Criterion may have the rights to it and they were waiting on a restoration.
It sounds like it's just a documentary on the restoration: “RESTORING NAPOLEON with Georges Mourier who is currently overseeing the six-and-half-hour restoration of the film for Cinémathèque Francaise”

From the program: “Georges Mourier, a filmmaker with a deep knowledge of Gance’s work, was chosen to oversee the Cinémathèque Française’s new six-and-half-hour restoration, likely to be completed in 2017, and to be presented live with Carmine Coppola’s score. Mourier will bring a fascinating presentation on the history of the film’s many versions and restorations, culminating with the spectacular “La Marseillaise” sequence in its new and definitive incarnation”

criterion10

#394 Post by criterion10 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 pm

RyanGallagher wrote:to be presented live with Carmine Coppola’s score
How likely is it that it will be presented with the original score as well?

ellipsis7

#395 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:06 pm

criterion10 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carmine Coppola's score was I believe for a specific (now dated) version of the restoration, and it seems this was why Francis Coppola resisted later longer versions (particularly from Kevin Brownlow with available & flexible Carl Davis scores as the project evolved) because it appeared his father's fine music no longer fitted the new cues... Perhaps a compromise has been reached and a new 'arrangement' of the original Carmine Coppola score has been applied, otherwise it doesn't make sense (to me anyway)...

bearcuborg

#396 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 pm

I just want Coppola and his father to be removed from the project ...
Last edited by bearcuborg on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricJ

#397 Post by EricJ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:39 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
criterion10 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carmine Coppola's score was I believe for a specific (now dated) version of the restoration, and it seems this was why Francis Coppola resisted later longer versions (particularly from Kevin Brownlow with available & flexible Carl Davis scores as the project evolved) because it appeared his father's fine music no longer fitted the new cues... Perhaps a compromise has been reached and a new 'arrangement' of the original Carmine Coppola score has been applied, otherwise it doesn't make sense (to me anyway)...
It's possible--Unlike Davis's film score, it's a live orchestra non-stop for a three-hour-plus movie, which is why Carmine had to write a solo organ passage in the middle, but it's not out of possibility for him to have tweaked some new cues for the restored cut.
(Although I haven't heard the Davis score, but had the Coppola score on soundtrack album.)

Added benefit, it would verify that "Napoleonic army" from the New Year's hint.

onedimension

#398 Post by onedimension » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Folks, seems likely they will show the doc, recap the restoration, and premiere the restored "La Marseillaise" sequence while a live orchestra accompanies it.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#399 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:13 pm

jwd5275 wrote:A Touch of Zen is not a WCP film either, it is just playing at the NYFF at the same time as the Film Foundation/WCP retrospective. The restoration most likely was done by the Taipei Film Archive like Dragon Inn (It was a rep from Taipei film archive that first passed on the info in July).
Well, sort of. The Taipei Film Archive doesn't exist anymore—last year it became the Taiwan Film Institute, which is basically the same organization but with a bigger budget and some additional functions. Both restorations were collaborations between the TFA/TFI and L'Immagine Ritrovata.

Yaanu

#400 Post by Yaanu » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Janus Films posted this to their Twitter:
#FakeHintFriday
Then they deleted it and posted it again with the file name deleted from the image.

Obviously it's not a sign of things to come, but I wouldn't be opposed to a CBS TELEVISION MOVIES box set of some sort.