2015 New Year's Day Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Feego

Re: 2015 New Year's Day Drawing

#101 Post by Feego » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:00 pm

I have not been convinced by anything so far concerning the rose. I just don't see Rydell's The Rose as a likely release. Does it have a critical/popular enough following to merit a Criterion edition? It's frankly a movie I would see Fox more likely licensing to Twilight Time, or just releasing as a no-frills Blu themselves. I do think the size of the rose has got to be part of the clue as well.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#102 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:02 pm

FakeBonanza wrote:Dressed to Kill seems, to me, to be the most likely candidate for the strapped woman at the bottom.
Could be, if it's just a word clue. Though I feel like I've seen that visual before.

jmj713

#103 Post by jmj713 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Could the rose be The Name of the Rose?

ianungstad

#104 Post by ianungstad » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:12 pm

As someone who does believe that the phantom pages are indications of forthcoming releases; Rydell's The Rose makes sense. When the Rydell page went up; I thought it would be for On Golden Pond but that ended up at Shout! The Rose seems like the only other film of his Criterion would release.

The only phantom pages I don't buy are the ones that were obviously posted by an intern over a couple of hours as a practical joke (Take the Money and Run; Good Bad and The Ugly; Mommie Dearest; etc)

javi82

#105 Post by javi82 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:14 pm

I haven't seen One, Two, Three, but could the clock itself also be a clue for Minnelli's The Clock (or something else)?

SpiderBaby

#106 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:28 pm

I really want that clock to be on the 1 and 5, numbers between 2/0 and 4/6, a clue for 2046, which is a way out there guess.

salad

#107 Post by salad » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:31 pm

Feego wrote:I do think the size of the rose has got to be part of the clue as well.

Billy Rose's Jumbo! (ha ha ha.)

Jeff

#108 Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Feego wrote:I have not been convinced by anything so far concerning the rose. I just don't see Rydell's The Rose as a likely release. Does it have a critical/popular enough following to merit a Criterion edition? It's frankly a movie I would see Fox more likely licensing to Twilight Time, or just releasing as a no-frills Blu themselves. I do think the size of the rose has got to be part of the clue as well.
It was a popular movie with several Oscar nominations, and a title song that became ubiquitous. It's not a great film, but that has not stopped Criterion before. If Rydell pursued a Criterion release, they'd certainly go for it.

FrauBlucher

#109 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:46 pm

For those who don't believe it's Rydell's The Rose, how about this one. A Rose for Everyone. An Italian film, a comedy from1967, Franco Rossi directed and Claudia Cardinale stars.

Jeff

#110 Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:53 pm

ptatler wrote:(Also, don't ever Google "naked woman with machine guns" at work.)
Sound advice, but the woman in the picture appears to be wearing a either a dress or a blazer and skirt with high heels.

colinr0380

#111 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Would any of it match Bram Stoker's Dracula?

kinjitsu

#112 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I believe the clouds represent iwashigumo.

ordinaryperson

#113 Post by ordinaryperson » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Actually, I may have an answer for the rose. Remember the list that some guy posted of films coming to Criterion, Twilight Time etc. (One, Two, Three, and Tom Jones were on that list). One of the movies on that list was The Days Of Wine and Roses. I think it is The Rose but I added this just for thought.

Feego

#114 Post by Feego » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:53 pm

swo17 wrote:
FakeBonanza wrote:Dressed to Kill seems, to me, to be the most likely candidate for the strapped woman at the bottom.
Could be, if it's just a word clue. Though I feel like I've seen that visual before.
Someone posted this on Blu-ray.com, and this might be what you're thinking of:
ImageImage

The chance of it actually being Nausicaa is pretty much zilch, but the similarity is noticeable. So far, I like the Dressed to Kill (word clue) suggestion the best. Based on this larger image, it does appear that the woman is not naked and at the very least has sleeves. But this one as well as the splotch really have me stumped.

Minkin

#115 Post by Minkin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:01 pm

-So we are agreed that Wallace Shawn is holding the Spinal Tap Stonehenge?

-One-Eyed Jacks makes sense to me - as it would tie together the eye + fishing theme (Jack).

- Unfinished / destroyed bridge (that's rebar, not weeds growing out the end of it btw! + if it is rebar - that indicated the bridge has been destroyed, not just uncompleted :P ) - Koker Trilogy?

-As for Two for the Road - it doesn't look like any of the cars they drive in the film + the guy driving seems to have a distinctive hairstyle, but who knows. Perhaps one of the Wenders road movies matches it better? Alice in the Cities seems to fit all of the clue.

-The soldier knife fight - I suppose it could be anything, but the X's on the one side's mouths seems to indicate something specific. Of period piece films - might any of the following best apply: Napoleon (Criterion has confirmed their involvement), Barry Lyndon (WB deal), or Tom Jones (hinted at Criterion - by Misterlime)?

-The River + distinctive valley in the background? The Renoir film seems apparent, but what about the valley in the background? It seems too distinctive / unnecessary to just be part of the background.

-Gun lady - The specific pose is quite similar to Nausicaa (+the guns) - but the figure is dressed wrong for that end. I'm going to go with Barbarella - as that's one I've been wanting forever (+ the Paramount Blu only has a trailer + Criterion likes Vadim + who doesn't like Jane Fonda?).

-Whatever the hell is next to the gun lady - Uhhh? Ice? Blood? I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking at.

-On the The Merchant of Four Seasons cart - it looks like pottery (not fruit) - so perhaps that refers to Ugetsu?

-I think that Ship has Sailed On

Noiradelic

#116 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:04 pm

ordinaryperson wrote:that is obviously snow next to the blood.
I don't know what the splotch/fire is, but I'm convinced it's not blood. Blood would've probably been drawn solid black -- definitely not lines within shapes -- and if it was liquid it would be more fluid and rounded; this has a more jagged, pointed quality. What's rising off of it seems to be smoke or dust. Doesn't look like snow to me because it's open-ended at the top.

Jeff

#117 Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Minkin wrote:I think that Ship has Sailed On
That would be an ocean liner -- a steamship without sails. They've all but confirmed The New World is in the works.

Minkin

#118 Post by Minkin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:25 pm

Jeff wrote:
Minkin wrote:I think that Ship has Sailed On
That would be an ocean liner -- a steamship without sails. They've all but confirmed The New World is in the works.
Nobody ever wants to accept the mythical existence of the double clue.

You should see Bluray.com, there's people talking about it being Hook or Peter Pan

vidussoni

#119 Post by vidussoni » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:54 pm

The road on the bridge doesn't continue on. Maybe it's Lost Highway

Ashirg

#120 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:58 pm

I know it's just 1 rose and not many, but with a blotch to the left, I'm hoping it's a clue for Blood and Roses.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#121 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:01 pm

That thing that thought it had a bright future but then fell off the unfinished bridge and collapsed into an unrecognizable mess of wasted opportunities and broken dreams could perhaps be the World Cinema Project?

R0lf

#122 Post by R0lf » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:40 pm

I will go the improbable wish fulfilment guess and say the lady under the bridge is an Almodovar box set of High Heels/Kika/The Flower of My Secret/Live Flesh.

Also next to her looks like the burning coals from a Tarkovsky movie and above the burning coals the air vent with the paper attachment from a Tarkovsky movie?

sinemadelisikiz

#123 Post by sinemadelisikiz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Not to be super obvious but the bridge is probably for, um, The Bridge right? I think I remember seeing that on the blurry list of possible titles posted forever ago.

ordinaryperson

#124 Post by ordinaryperson » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:49 pm

If it's not to late to suggest the river could be A River Runs through It. And for a crazy theory: There is a Spongebob Squarepants episode with an unfinished bridge, in one episode of Spongebob a still of Fishing With John is shown, so it's a Fishing With John upgrade hint.

dwk

#125 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Noiradelic wrote:
ordinaryperson wrote:that is obviously snow next to the blood.
I don't know what the splotch/fire is, but I'm convinced it's not blood. Blood would've probably been drawn solid black -- definitely not lines within shapes -- and if it was liquid it would be more fluid and rounded; this has a more jagged, pointed quality. What's rising off of it seems to be smoke or dust. Doesn't look like snow to me because it's open-ended at the top.
A blood spatter, unlike a pool of blood, wouldn't necessarily be fluid and rounded. That just doesn't look like smoke or dust rising off a fire (mainly because that doesn't look like fire.)