2014 New Year's Day Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
britcom68

Re: 2014 New Year's Day Drawing

#276 Post by britcom68 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Although Criterion has some Columbia Classic titles in the works, it has never been confirmed which titles are forthcoming and when. One such title rumored for over the past year has been Suddenly, Last Summer. I had a thought that since Ringu is not forthcoming and if that crouching figure for the picnic isn't Polanski's witches (Macbeth) perhaps it was a clue for Suddenly Last Summer. Sebastian is eaten to death in the ruins near a cliff after making a spectacle on the beach while wearing a white suit. :?
*It's called a guess, not an authoritative statement.*

FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#277 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Criterion has uploaded this video of Il Sorpasso
Which could also be the clue to the dancing on the beach.

Lowry_Sam

#278 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:51 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Criterion has uploaded this video of Il Sorpasso
Best candidate so far. Since it's a new director, would be nicely paired with Una vita difficile.

Matt

#279 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

I disagree. No one in that clip is dressed anything like the dancing figures in the drawing.

Lowry_Sam

#280 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:36 am

Matt wrote:I disagree. No one in that clip is dressed anything like the dancing figures in the drawing.
On second inspection you're right & the dancing is a bit more reserved than in the pic, but then again none of the guesses so far are exact matches.

Feego

#281 Post by Feego » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:02 am

I agree with Matt. There's a major difference between bikinis and Party clothes, and I'm increasingly convinced that the guy in the drawing is Sellers and the girl with the beads, short dress and bobbed haircut certainly matches the woman in the clip and photo linked previously in this thread.

TMDaines

#282 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:31 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Criterion has uploaded this video of Il Sorpasso
Surprising that they didn't do a clue for Il sorpasso if it is coming, as the cliff is an ideal setting for an obvious clue.

FrauBlucher

#283 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 am

TMDaines wrote:Surprising that they didn't do a clue for Il sorpasso if it is coming, as the cliff is an ideal setting for an obvious clue.
There are other dancing scenes along with a jazz trio.

TMDaines

#284 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
TMDaines wrote:Surprising that they didn't do a clue for Il sorpasso if it is coming, as the cliff is an ideal setting for an obvious clue.
There are other dancing scenes along with a jazz trio.
I love that film and it is a personal favourite. If I was to draw a clue for it, I can't see why I would choose to draw a dancing scene and a jazz trio. That would be way down the list of possibilities.

FrauBlucher

#285 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 am

I know I'm reaching. But sometimes CC likes to give obscure clues.

Harmonov

#286 Post by Harmonov » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Jeff wrote:
Harmonov wrote:I can confirm that the Koker Trilogy is coming. Criterion is filming supplemental materials at the end of this month at the Indiana University Cinema when Kiarostami is there (the director of the cinema himself told me that Criterion reached out to him about filming them there). Here is the list of films that are showing.
WOW! That is incredibly good news. It's been rumored before, but I saw no reason to think that Criterion actually had the rights to all three, with Miramax presumably still having Through the Olive Trees. Criterion has previously credited The Traveler as "courtesy of Kanoon," though The Report receives no such credit. Where Is the Friend's Home? and Life, and Nothing More... should come from Kanoon as well, so I wonder if Criterion has access to all of the shorts and docs, and what kind of elements might exist and be made available to Criterion.

It's odd that Chungking Express went out of print, but the Qatsi release, this news, and the speculation regarding The Young Girls of Rochefort have me wondering if Criterion hasn't indeed worked something out with the owners of the Miramax library. Has anyone noted that Criterion has a "People" page for Miramax before?
The Kiarostami visit to the IU Cinema has been postponed until April. Here is the press release:

Abbas Kiarostami's visit to the U.S. and Indiana University this month has been postponed until April. The filmmaker is now expected to be present for two film screenings, at 3 and 6:30 p.m. April 6, and his public interview is now rescheduled for 2 p.m. April 7 at IU Cinema. The interview will be led by Richard Peña, former head of the New York Film Festival, and will become a bonus feature on the 2014 Blu-ray Disc release of one of Kiarostami's films.

The two films being shown aren't mentioned, but it is my understanding that they will be two of the Koker Trilogy films - Where is the Friend's House and Life and Nothing More.

sir_luke

#287 Post by sir_luke » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Someone mentioned a few pages back (and many, many days ago) the possibility of "Jazz on a Summer's Day." Does anyone know the likelihood of this? Just asking because, ever since that was suggested, I've been consumed with the idea of how incredible a Criterion release of that film would be. It's my favorite music movie ever, and it would be so nice to see a stacked Blu.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#288 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 am

I believe the thinking now is that that part of the drawing referred to Il sorpasso, which has since been announced.

sir_luke

#289 Post by sir_luke » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:40 am

Oh. Darn. I didn't know that was the consensus (and I haven't seen the movie, I'm afraid). Well, it was a good dream while it lasted.

captveg

#290 Post by captveg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Feego wrote:I suggested this title last year, but could the deer be yet another clue for All That Heaven Allows?

Just following up now that All That Heaven Allows has been officially announced to say well done.

Sorry, The Deer Hunter hopefuls. But at least that one has a good Blu-ray release from Universal.

FrauBlucher

#291 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:37 pm

captveg wrote:Just following up now that All That Heaven Allows has been officially announced to say well done.

Sorry, The Deer Hunter hopefuls. But at least that one has a good Blu-ray release from Universal.
Yes, I agree. I always felt the deer was something other than The Deer Hunter for the reason you stated.

ShellOilJunior

#292 Post by ShellOilJunior » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Harmonov wrote:The Kiarostami visit to the IU Cinema has been postponed until April. Here is the press release:

Abbas Kiarostami's visit to the U.S. and Indiana University this month has been postponed until April. The filmmaker is now expected to be present for two film screenings, at 3 and 6:30 p.m. April 6, and his public interview is now rescheduled for 2 p.m. April 7 at IU Cinema. The interview will be led by Richard Peña, former head of the New York Film Festival, and will become a bonus feature on the 2014 Blu-ray Disc release of one of Kiarostami's films.

The two films being shown aren't mentioned, but it is my understanding that they will be two of the Koker Trilogy films - Where is the Friend's House and Life and Nothing More.
The two are: Certified Copy and Like Someone in Love.

Cinephrenic

#293 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Don't they announce only 'new' titles, rather than upgrades on New Years drawings?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#294 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:29 pm

It's more of a reissue with all the special features being added, and they did the same thing for Picnic at Hanging Rock.

captveg

#295 Post by captveg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Tati films as well.

Feego

#296 Post by Feego » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Yep, past New Years drawings have hinted at upgrades of Autumn Sonata, Naked Lunch, Lord of the Flies, Solaris, Wild Strawberries, The Red Shoes, The Leopard, and many more I'm sure.

ellipsis7

#297 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:
Harmonov wrote:The Kiarostami visit to the IU Cinema has been postponed until April. Here is the press release:

The two are: Certified Copy and Like Someone in Love.
The film which is coming to BR is THE WIND WILL CARRY US with this extra (AK interviewed by Richard Peña @ IU), and is not from Criterion, but from The Cohen Film Collection as detailed here... The film screened @ IU on January 23rd, and the Kiarostami interview was orignally slated for the day after January 24th before rescheduling to April 7th...
Thanks to a partnership with Cohen Media who will be releasing The Wind Will Carry Us on BluRay later this year, this lecture will be a taped interview with Abbas Kiarostami led by Richard Peña, Director Emeritus of the New York Film Festival and Professor of Film Studies at Columbia University. The interview will be included as a 'bonus feature' on that upcoming BluRay release.

FrauBlucher

#298 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 am

It looks like a majority of the clues from the New Years Day drawing has been announced already.
All That Heaven Allows
A Hard Days Night
Riot In Cell Block 11
The Big Chill
the Demy Boxset (4 clues for this)
Breaking the Waves
Red River
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Il Sorprasso

Roger Ryan

#299 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 am

Don't forget the blatant one for SCANNERS.

The whole California Raisin ("I Heard It Through The Grapevine") now seems like such an obvious nod to THE BIG CHILL even though it was one of the more obscure clues.

movielocke

#300 Post by movielocke » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

there are actually six angels for the demy clue, which makes sense in retrospect.