Criterion Newsletter (Part 3)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jack Phillips

Re: Criterion Newsletter (Part 3)

#151 Post by Jack Phillips » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:18 pm

knives wrote:
knives wrote:If it's any version it is definitely the Polanski. All the other relevant ones I can think of are tied up with other companies.
I severely doubt it, but now that I think of it Wadja's Serbian Lady MacBeth should be available. I imagine that they would wait for a restoration on that though.
Perhaps you are referring to Siberian Lady Macbeth? What is with everybody today?

Werewolf by Night

#152 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm

It's National Annoy a Pedant Day.

Moe Dickstein

#153 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 pm

I heard about that so I took extra meds today.

MoonlitKnight

#154 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:26 am

Cronenfly wrote:I know it's pretty unlikely, but if they could double-bill it with A Child is Waiting, King of the Hill/Underneath-style (or Killing/Killer's Kiss-style, also from MGM), that would be fantastic. Both are MGM titles (though one is Cannon and one UA, which might be an issue), and though Child is probably worthy of separate release, given Cassavetes' ill feelings towards the end result, perhaps it is more likely to come as a supporting feature to Love Streams (as was the case with the old French DVDs)...
While I'd love "A Child Is Waiting" to finally get a release, I get the impression Criterion only includes a lesser-known features of a director as a supplement if said film immediately precedes or follows the main feature in the set (the afore-mentioned "The Killing"/"Killer's Kiss" and "King of the Hill"/"The Underneath" as well as "Slacker"/"It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books" and "Stranger Than Paradise"/"Permanent Vacation" [though the latter has not yet been upgraded to Blu]).

Maybe they'll pair "What?" with the Polanski "Macbeth"? :-"

Cronenfly

#155 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:50 am

You have a point about the consecutive nature of the films Criterion tends to bundle; I guess I remain hopeful they'll continue to experiment with ways of confining a maximum amount of content to a minimum number of individual releases wherever possible. Criterion is sitting on such a mountain of good stuff (and their price point remains high enough) that I'd just as soon they double or triple up on titles. They also seem to be stretched a bit thin overall in the supplements department as of late, and I think making more releases multi-film enterprises would be a good way of clearing backlog while also providing the kind of value-for-money that more conventional supplements don't always provide. It may not make sense with these two Cassavetes titles in particular (or the Polanskis you mentioned, fun as that would be =), but I certainly would welcome a broadening of parameters vis-a-vis what kind of films could be packaged together (even in cases where, from a curatorial standpoint, such a decision might seem more disjointed or off the wall than what has been the CC standard to date).
Last edited by Cronenfly on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#156 Post by knives » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:07 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:I know it's pretty unlikely, but if they could double-bill it with A Child is Waiting, King of the Hill/Underneath-style (or Killing/Killer's Kiss-style, also from MGM), that would be fantastic. Both are MGM titles (though one is Cannon and one UA, which might be an issue), and though Child is probably worthy of separate release, given Cassavetes' ill feelings towards the end result, perhaps it is more likely to come as a supporting feature to Love Streams (as was the case with the old French DVDs)...
While I'd love "A Child Is Waiting" to finally get a release, I get the impression Criterion only includes a lesser-known features of a director as a supplement if said film immediately precedes or follows the main feature in the set (the afore-mentioned "The Killing"/"Killer's Kiss" and "King of the Hill"/"The Underneath" as well as "Slacker"/"It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books" and "Stranger Than Paradise"/"Permanent Vacation" [though the latter has not yet been upgraded to Blu]).

Maybe they'll pair "What?" with the Polanski "Macbeth"? :-"
The Big City disproves this theory.

pzadvance

#157 Post by pzadvance » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:48 am

As do the Kiarostami twofers. I'd love to see them throw A Child is Waiting on there.

MoonlitKnight

#158 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:34 am

Yes, and I suppose "The Thief of Bagdad"/"The Lion Has Wings" is another one, since I believe "Contraband" was made between the two (if we're talking solely about Powell and not the other co-directors of those films).

PfR73

#159 Post by PfR73 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am

The thing that bums me out about Criterion's "extra movies" is that they don't give the extra film a lossless audio track. Personally, I'd be more willing to pay for a separate spine, maybe at the lower-tier pricing for slim extra features, if it meant the 2nd film got treated better.

Lowry_Sam

#160 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 am

PfR73 wrote:The thing that bums me out about Criterion's "extra movies" is that they don't give the extra film a lossless audio track. Personally, I'd be more willing to pay for a separate spine, maybe at the lower-tier pricing for slim extra features, if it meant the 2nd film got treated better.
...except for La Jetee/Sans Soleil.

antnield

#161 Post by antnield » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm

jedgeco

#162 Post by jedgeco » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 pm

The Vanishing.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#163 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Hopefully it'll be a full-on reissue with new bonus features! This is an exciting one.

aox

#164 Post by aox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:59 pm

The Vanishing on BD would be fantastic.

FrauBlucher

#165 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Probably is because they're teasing it.

Yaanu

#166 Post by Yaanu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Clearly, it's hinting at a new partnership with TheDissolve.com.

Clearly.

bamwc2

#167 Post by bamwc2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:17 pm

This makes me very happy. I bought the first one used online a scant week after its initial release, and despite being scratched beyond all hope of repair I couldn't get a refund on. I've still only seen the first half of the film to this day. I should also add that it has the most realistic depiction of a sociology professor that I've ever seen. :)

Buttercream

#168 Post by Buttercream » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Yaanu wrote:Clearly, it's hinting at a new partnership with TheDissolve.com.
Makes sense, considering The Dissolve rates every Janus/Criterion release "essential viewing" without fail.

Yaanu

#169 Post by Yaanu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Buttercream wrote:
Makes sense, considering The Dissolve rates every Janus/Criterion release "essential viewing" without fail.
At the very least, it keeps the comment box for the respective reviews clean.

Red Screamer

#170 Post by Red Screamer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Buttercream wrote:
Just wait until The Big Chill is released

chatterjees

#171 Post by chatterjees » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Don't they use blue color for their upgrade hints?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#172 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Not always.

sir_luke

#173 Post by sir_luke » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36 pm

chatterjees wrote:Don't they use blue color for their upgrade hints?
I may be wrong, but I think blue is for Blu-only upgrades. The Vanishing will probably get a full dual-format makeover.

chatterjees

#174 Post by chatterjees » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:40 pm

That makes sense. You don't need blue color for DF upgrades.

Self

#175 Post by Self » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Ace in the Hole had a blue clue in the newsletter and it's getting the DF upgrade