Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Rolad

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#201 Post by Rolad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm curious what the 4k restoration of Breaking the Waves will look like since I remember it having an intentionally low-def look.

criterion10

#202 Post by criterion10 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 pm

The films Criterion is releasing all do look very good (haven't seen any yet, besides The 400 Blows, which I already own), and I most certainly will be checking them out, but I am disappointed that there are only four new releases to the collection.

ryannichols7

#203 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 pm

wait, no actual upgrades? seriously?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#204 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:42 pm

criterion10 wrote:The four films they are releasing all do look very good (haven't seen any yet, besides The 400 Blows, which I already own), and I most certainly will be checking all of them out, but I am disappointed that there are only four new releases to the collection.
And why no boxed set upgrade for the Doinel films? What a useless release. Did they not anticipate people would want to buy things this month or something?

Tommaso

#205 Post by Tommaso » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm

jindianajonz wrote:And Master of the House by Dreyer
Goddamn great! For the first time with original intertitles, not to speak of a probably much improved image over the video-sourced BFI disc. And "Breaking the Waves" on top of it! Danish month at Criterion...

aox

#206 Post by aox » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

400 Blows? Seriously?

movielocke

#207 Post by movielocke » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

I figure that either the roadbox got bumped back or Passion of Joan of Arc got bumped back.

This makes 400 Blows the most released spine number, four separate releases, 1998, 2006, 2011 and now 2014.

captveg

#208 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Please tell me there's one more (legit) upgrade to come, Criterion....

vsski

#209 Post by vsski » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Well, if this is it at least my wallet is happy, although all 4 seem worthwhile and I'm most looking forward to the Dreyer in what hopefully will be a great presentation, but also want to see the Risi, which I haven't seen in ages.

adavis53

#210 Post by adavis53 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm

they haven't made the official announcement yet so there's a chance there's one to come? otherwise this is one of their lightest months in a long ass time

jedgeco

#211 Post by jedgeco » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:53 pm

adavis53 wrote:they haven't made the official announcement yet so there's a chance there's one to come? otherwise this is one of their lightest months in a long ass time
One just went up on Facebook, so looks like this is it.

criterion10

#212 Post by criterion10 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:54 pm

adavis53 wrote:they haven't made the official announcement yet so there's a chance there's one to come? otherwise this is one of their lightest months in a long ass time
They did both Tweet and Facebook an announcement, so it seems like this is it.

Rolad

#213 Post by Rolad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

We've been pretty spoiled these past few months, and all four releases are solid. Still I'm hoping there might be another upgrade that hasn't been added yet...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#214 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:59 pm

"Well, we have like hundreds of movies on Hulu, hundreds more needing upgrades... hmm... yeah, let's just do the 400 Blows again!" It's like WB and Casablanca

matrixschmatrix

#215 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 pm

It bothers me a little that they appear to be treating a dual-format release as though it counts as an upgrade and not just a repackaging of extant material, but I'm assuming dual 'upgrades' are more a matter of what's sold out than of what needs attention. It's not like it requires any real work.

Rolad

#216 Post by Rolad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:08 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:It bothers me a little that they appear to be treating a dual-format release as though it counts as an upgrade and not just a repackaging of extant material, but I'm assuming dual 'upgrades' are more a matter of what's sold out than of what needs attention. It's not like it requires any real work.
It definitley seems a bit redundant. I'd guess anyone who wanted to pick up 400 Blows already has either on DVD or bluray.

ianungstad

#217 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 pm

We all knew this was going to happen when The 400 Blows went out of print a few months back. I'm only surprised they didn't add the Doinel box or The Killers upgrade to the solicitations this month as they discontinued those skus as well.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#218 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Dual format releases for titles already released on Blu-ray shouldn't really be viewed as new redundant releases. It's just a signal that the current print run is dwindling and they're keeping the film in print. It's basically the same thing as when they redid the packaging for Rules of the Game, the Beastie Boys Anthology, etc.

med

#219 Post by med » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Honestly, this wouldn't bother you people so much if they didn't announce it along with the real new releases.

warren oates

#220 Post by warren oates » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Isn't that exactly the point, though? Why "announce" at all what really amounts to a mere packaging change, which is the sort of thing they've never treated as breaking news in the past.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#221 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:25 pm

med wrote:Honestly, this wouldn't bother you people so much if they didn't announce it along with the real new releases.
But how much would it bother ewe people?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#222 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm

warren oates wrote:Isn't that exactly the point, though? Why "announce" at all what really amounts to a mere packaging change, which is the sort of thing they've never treated as breaking news in the past.
Off the top of my head, they officially announced the repackaging of Short Cuts and the unboxing of the Cassavetes films.

But are we seriously going to complain about whether or not a repackaging is worthy of an official announcement?

med

#223 Post by med » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Hold on, someone's gotta figure out how to tie dual-format upgrades to why Criterion hasn't released any Rivette.

Matt

#224 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:38 pm

swo17 wrote:But are we seriously going to complain about whether or not a repackaging is worthy of an official announcement?
Is anything too small to be complained about here?

Cinephrenic

#225 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Not complaining about the titles, but really was hoping for some Sony catalog titles or even a Eclipse set.