Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
eerik

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#126 Post by eerik » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 am

phantomforce wrote:Just got an email from laemle about a new restoration of Contempt from Rialto. Is it coming back?
Rialto handles only theatrical distribution of StudioCanal titles, Lionsgate has the Blu-ray/DVD rights. So no.

adavis53

#127 Post by adavis53 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Question on the CC FB page from earlier....
Given what today is, would it be possible for you to give us a hint to tide us over until Monday?
Like · · 2 · 7 hours ago ·
Criterion's response
There's a hint on our Tumblr's first page: http://criterioncollection.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guys. Clearly they're releasing a box set of every Godzilla film based on the graphic they posted. It's gonna be another Zatoichi all over again.

sir_luke

#128 Post by sir_luke » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 am

I realize you're probably joking, adavis53, but I can't help thinking how tremendous a release that would be. My wallet hurts.

Yaanu

#129 Post by Yaanu » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 am

sir_luke wrote:I realize you're probably joking, adavis53, but I can't help thinking how tremendous a release that would be. My wallet hurts.
A twenty-nine-films box set, assuming we include the two American productions, GODZILLA and GODZILLA. With the twenty-five-films ZATOICHI box set at $225, or $9 a film, we can estimate that a GODZILLA box set would run around $261, likely rounded down to a final MSRP of $259.95 or so. If we disregard the American films, the price would be around $243, rounded to either $239.95 or $244.95, depending on whether or not there is a profit to be had from a giant box set like this.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Godzilla filmography, actually, there appear to be a good number of Godzilla films currently being distributed by Sony, including every Godzilla film released after 1991 (including the American GODZILLA). Whether or not this means anything remains to be seen.

sir_luke

#130 Post by sir_luke » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:26 am

Ideally, the 1998 American GODZILLA would not be included. Ideally, it would not exist.

Peter McM

#131 Post by Peter McM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:36 am

Blu-ray.com gave the R3 French restoration of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg stellar marks! How well do you think this bodes for a Criterion announcement today?

giovannii84

#132 Post by giovannii84 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 am

Wonder if the Great Beauty will also be a bare bones edition, with a special edition to follow

HitchcockLang

#133 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 am

Yaanu wrote:
sir_luke wrote:I realize you're probably joking, adavis53, but I can't help thinking how tremendous a release that would be. My wallet hurts.
A twenty-nine-films box set, assuming we include the two American productions, GODZILLA and GODZILLA. With the twenty-five-films ZATOICHI box set at $225, or $9 a film, we can estimate that a GODZILLA box set would run around $261, likely rounded down to a final MSRP of $259.95 or so. If we disregard the American films, the price would be around $243, rounded to either $239.95 or $244.95, depending on whether or not there is a profit to be had from a giant box set like this.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Godzilla filmography, actually, there appear to be a good number of Godzilla films currently being distributed by Sony, including every Godzilla film released after 1991 (including the American GODZILLA). Whether or not this means anything remains to be seen.
I remember looking at Wikipedia's page a long while ago and seeing all of the Classic Media Showa era releases listed as distributed by Criterion (including Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, etc.) and I wondered if that was accurate. It has since been changed back to Classic Media.

I wonder if that was based on an assumption that since Classic Media had released the original Godzilla that if Criterion released it then they must have acquired all of Classic Media's rights (a naive assumption), or some insider info that just doesn't have the public source available to credit it right now, or just some moronic vandalism. However, if Criterion got the rights to all of Classic Media's holdings as well as having access to everything Sony has, that could be a formidable box set indeed though doubtfully complete since Echo Bridge only recently released Biollante and Media Blasters for better or for worse doesn't seem to want to let go of Destroy All Monsters and Megalon.

Since the Godzilla franchise is broken into three distinct eras, I could see Criterion doing a Godzilla Millenium series box (all of which are held by Sony right now) or even a Heisei Box (most held by Sony though Godzilla Returns/1985 and Biollante could prove problematic). A complete Showa collection would be much more difficult to pull off in terms of scattered rights, and Toho has proven difficult to work with in terms of one company re-licensing their licenses out to other companies in the past.

Maxpayne230

#134 Post by Maxpayne230 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 pm

giovannii84 wrote:Wonder if the Great Beauty will also be a bare bones edition, with a special edition to follow
Definitely hope for one to be released. The Italian Release is probably one of the worst blu rays I own.
Horrible, cheap, cardboard slipcover that threatens to rip every time you slip the case out, and the blu ray is inside an even cheaper looking packaging covered in red with random images of Rome scattered through. The transfer is top notch, but starting from the menu, it's all been designed very, very poorly.
There's not a single interview with cast or crew and all you get is some b-roll montage and a 5 minute documentary on STREET CASTING, definitely something I wasn't interested in.
Sorrentino cut almost one hour of scenes from the final cut and not a single second of those is shown.
I hope Criterion will give justice to this contemporary masterpiece; Warner Brothers Italy, Medusa and Indigo Film clearly just wanted to sell as many as they could by keeping very low standards.
A bare bones edition from Criterion would be better already than the Italian one. At least it would have a plastic packaging.

Yaanu

#135 Post by Yaanu » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Personally, all I want is a nice box set of the GAMERA films. I don't care if it's Shout! Factory or Criterion who releases them, as long as they also include the Sandy Frank editions alongside the original films.

Moe Dickstein

#136 Post by Moe Dickstein » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:33 pm

If they did do a big Godzilla set I wouldn't look for it until November 14. They're only going to do one huge gift type set like that a year.

rspaight

#137 Post by rspaight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:31 pm

A big Godzilla box with Kalat commentaries and I'd die happy. I'm not going to hold my breath, though, for many reasons, licensing primary among them.

EddieLarkin

#138 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:37 pm

A complete box set is surely not possible, since some titles are already licensed for Blu-ray release in the U.S. to Media Blasters and Echo Bridge.

htshell

#139 Post by htshell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:09 pm

phantomforce wrote:Just got an email from laemle about a new restoration of Contempt from Rialto. Is it coming back?
Rialto has a DCP of Alphaville coming up.

FrauBlucher

#140 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm

I think they are messing around on their site. Having a problem loading certain pages.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#141 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 pm

The Great Beauty
Persona
The Freshman
George Washington
A Brief History of Time
The Hidden Fortress

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#142 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Sweet, George Washington was a no brainer for an upgrade but I was worried it wasn't popular enough

ptatler

#143 Post by ptatler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm

FRESHMAN and PERSONA are definite buys. I really want to see GREAT BEAUTY and re-watch GEORGE WASHINGTON. Not as brutal on my wallet as last month's announcements but a respectable haul.

Bando

#144 Post by Bando » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sweet, George Washington was a no brainer for an upgrade but I was worried it wasn't popular enough
I feel like George Washington really gets overlooked. It's a fantastic, emotionally gripping film. This is really welcomed, and justifies my decision to hold off and wait for an upgrade.

And Persona. Can't wait.

Finch

#145 Post by Finch » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Lloyd isn't really my cup of tea as much as I like and admire Safety Last so I'm probably going to skip on The Freshman. Going to try and rent/watch the Morris and George Washington first so Persona only for me at this stage.

captveg

#146 Post by captveg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Persona, The Freshman and The Hidden Fortress are buys for me. Didn't care for George Washington. Need to see the others.

FrauBlucher

#147 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm

3 of the titles are from the newsletter drawings. Are there any clues left or did they clean out the cabinet before the NYD wacky drawing?

chatterjees

#148 Post by chatterjees » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:04 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:3 of the titles are from the newsletter drawings. Are there any clues left or did they clean out the cabinet before the NYD wacky drawing?
I was thinking about the same thing. I can't remember for sure, but it feels like they have nothing left from the newsletter clues. They could have some left from the NYD, if we read it correctly.

adavis53

#149 Post by adavis53 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:09 pm

chatterjees wrote:They could have some left from the NYD, if we read it correctly.
Off the top of my head I can remember Oshima's Boy, the possible Barton Fink, and of course the obvious Eraserhead and Scanners.

EddieLarkin

#150 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm

All That Heaven Allows and Boy were suggested for the same clue I believe.