Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#151 Post by ianungstad » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:28 pm

They did an interview with Herzog about Errol Morris. Either they dropped the featurette or we will be seeing a box of the IFC titles in the not too distant future. (Herzog interview would be more appropriate for Gates of Heaven anyways)

Glowingwabbit

#152 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 pm

We already have two Kurosawa upgrades announced for 2014 after none in 2013 (first year without a Kurosawa release). I wonder if we can expect anymore this year. I thought I remembered hearing that Ikiru needed a lot of work so I'm assuming Bad Sleep Well, Red Beard, or Stay Dog will be next?

Yaanu

#153 Post by Yaanu » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I foresee a pattern of release structures in which two older titles are upgraded from DVD or Split DVD/BD to Dual Format releases, and four or five other new films are also announced as Dual Format.

giovannii84

#154 Post by giovannii84 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 pm

adavis53 wrote:
chatterjees wrote:They could have some left from the NYD, if we read it correctly.
Off the top of my head I can remember Oshima's Boy, the possible Barton Fink, and of course the obvious Eraserhead and Scanners.
Following the Wexner talk, don't think we're getting Eraserhead anytime soon.

Rolad

#155 Post by Rolad » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:We already have two Kurosawa upgrades announced for 2014 after none in 2013 (first year without a Kurosawa release). I wonder if we can expect anymore this year. I thought I remembered hearing that Ikiru needed a lot of work so I'm assuming Bad Sleep Well, Red Beard, or Stay Dog will be next?
Drunken Angel might be a good bet for an upgrade since there's already an HD transfer, and it wouldn't take much to put out a dual format edition. An Ikiru upgrade would definitely make me happy, but I'll be patient if it means getting the highest quality transfer possible.

captveg

#156 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: Kurosawa - we're still awaiting an individual release of Madadayo as well. Gotta think that will make it out in 2014.

And it wouldn't be surprising if they picked up Rhapsody in August from MGM, either.

Gregory

#157 Post by Gregory » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:51 pm

The HD transfer of Drunken Angel is something that suffices for streaming purposes but I'd be really surprised if Criterion upgraded the DVD to a dual-format, because the film elements are in such bad shape. If they did that, it would probably be just to take another standalone DVD out of circulation at the end of a print run, and I'd expect many to be disappointed in the "upgrade."

FrauBlucher

#158 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Speaking of Kurosawa, just a little a little tidbit.... Currently Bergman and Kurosawa are running one/two in blu ray releases/upgrades. Bergman with nine films and Kurosawa has 8 with one being OOP. Rounding out the top 3 is a tie between Chaplin and Godard each with 5 blu rays with Godard having one OOP.

PfR73

#159 Post by PfR73 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't think there are any OOP Kurosawa Blu-Rays. If you're counting Ran, that was never released in the first place.

FrauBlucher

#160 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Right. My mistake.

ianungstad

#161 Post by ianungstad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:07 am

Westchester Films' website updated their searchable library. I noticed they added Martin Rosen's The Plague Dogs. Wonder if Westchester reps Watership Down too and just doesn't have it listed yet?

They added a bunch of Joseph Losey films from the 70s (Doll's Hose; Mr.Klein) Jerzy Skolimowski's Moonlighting and a few other titles that look interesting,

EddieLarkin

#162 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:20 am

TT have confirmed via their FB that they have neither Lady from Shanghai nor Gilda (recently announced by Sony for a European release). These seem a sure thing for Criterion then, unless Sony plan to put them out themselves stateside.

giovannii84

#163 Post by giovannii84 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:31 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:TT have confirmed via their FB that they have neither Lady from Shanghai nor Gilda (recently announced by Sony for a European release). These seem a sure thing for Criterion then, unless Sony plan to put them out themselves stateside.

*fingers crossed*

It would cool if 'Affair in Trinidad' was included as a bonus with Gilda. I've always felt both Hayworth/Ford films compliment each other well.

FrauBlucher

#164 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:24 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:TT have confirmed via their FB that they have neither Lady from Shanghai nor Gilda (recently announced by Sony for a European release). These seem a sure thing for Criterion then, unless Sony plan to put them out themselves stateside.
Two years ago Grover Crisp told me that he had to "twist the arms of Sony executives to allow Criterion" to release Anatomy of a Murder, otherwise "it would never be released". He told this to me a month after AOAM was released by CC. I will assume the same thing stands for Gilda and LFS. Sony most likely has no plans to release these two titles and CC will probably release them, this time without the arm twisting i'm sure.

ShellOilJunior

#165 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Two years ago Grover Crisp told me that he had to "twist the arms of Sony executives to allow Criterion" to release Anatomy of a Murder, otherwise "it would never be released". He told this to me a month after AOAM was released by CC. I will assume the same thing stands for Gilda and LFS. Sony most likely has no plans to release these two titles and CC will probably release them, this time without the arm twisting i'm sure.
Did the same arm-twisting happen with On the Waterfront? I'm curious how CC got the rights.

FrauBlucher

#166 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:08 pm

On the Waterfront was released a year after Anatomy of a Murder. By that point Sony started to let the boutiques release all their classic catalogue titles. There was probably no more arm-twisting by that time.

movielocke

#167 Post by movielocke » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm sure the sales figures for Anatomy of a Murder criterion spoke for themselves. Thus, Sony opening the floodgates to the boutiques when they realized various brandings could clear a lot more inventory than an inhouse release.

ptatler

#168 Post by ptatler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Any chance of us getting Rohmer on Blu this year? Maybe a Criterion-ization of the Potemkine set that just got released?

Cinephrenic

#169 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Probably not.

Still waiting for Eustache, Demy, Robert, Ruiz, Rivette, Lelouch representation Criterion!

zedz

#170 Post by zedz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I love it that so many people are optimistically assuming that some English language company is going to simply reproduce the Rohmer set with full subtitles. Are there any American or British precedents for these kind of exhaustive integrale auteur sets like the Rohmer, Pialat, Kluge or Monteiro ones? You might get dozens of discs for genre series or TV shows, or barebones collections for really big art house names like Kurosawa or Bergman, but these kind of sets seem to be a distinctly (mainland) European beast.

ellipsis7

#171 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:55 am

David, I believe there is a further 4K resto which screened @ Venezia Classici this year... Hopefully this will make it shortly to BR in the correct AR...
Restoration by Sony Pictures Entertainment in collaboration with Cineteca di Bologna at L'Immagine Ritrovata, Archivio Storico delle Arti Contemporanee di Venezia and The Film Foundation.

Vaghe stell dell'Orsa was restored in 4K at Colorworks at Sony Pictures Entertainment. A 35mm Fine Grain Master Positive from Sony Pictures and a 35mm Composite Print from the collection of the Historic Archives of the Contemporary Arts (ASAC) of the Biennale di Venezia, the most original surviving film materials in the world, were scanned in 4K at Colorworks and at L'Immagine Ritrovata in Bologna.

Both elements, made in 1965 from the long ago lost original camera negative, and each with its own set of inherent defects, were used to create the best visual image possible.

Digital image restoration to correct for damage was completed at L'Immagine Ritrovata, with audio restoration at Chace Audio by Deluxe in Los Angeles. Additional image restoration, color correction with colorist Scott Ostrowsky, 4K DCP and new digital 35mm preservation negatives were completed at Colorworks.

FrauBlucher

#172 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

Giving 4k restos to almost everything in their classic catalogue has become Sony's modus operandi.
I don't see TT releasing these films, so I suspect CC will release the Sternbergs.

Norbie

Lancelot du Lac

#173 Post by Norbie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:43 am

Just watched A Man Escaped and now I have an itch forLancelot du Lac on blu-ray a itch in thing would be a perfect marriage between the he film and The Criterion Collection Blu-ray.

Rolad

#174 Post by Rolad » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 am

It's been a while since the region 1 DVD of Lancelot du Lac was released by New Yorker, who also did the old region 1 of A Man Escaped around the same time. It seems likely that Criterion now holds the rights and probably has something in the works for Lancelot du Lac. The old dvd isn't terrible, but there's much to be improved on.

otis

#175 Post by otis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:38 pm

According to Kristin Thompson,
Criterion has a new, authentic version of Dreyer’s Kammerspiel-influenced Master of the House forthcoming.