Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mrmarbach

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2251 Post by mrmarbach » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Apologies if this was already mentioned, but Hiroshima mon Amour is definitely on for this summer - according to Tim Page who just posted an image of himself being interviewed for the release. He describes it as "a deluxe reissue".

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2252 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:10 pm

There have been inklings but I think this is the first direct confirmation of an imminent release. Great news!

FrauBlucher

#2253 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Not surprised. The 4k restoration screened in the fall. It looked great.

gleemonex

#2254 Post by gleemonex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Hopefully they package it with a HD Night and Fog, as a supplement, a la Bergman Island.

ianungstad

#2255 Post by ianungstad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm just a bit surprised that the only meaningful hint Kim Hendrickson dropped at the Wexner Center chat; a licensing deal with Warner Brothers, has amounted to a whole lot of nothing so far.

criterion10

#2256 Post by criterion10 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 pm

ianungstad wrote:I'm just a bit surprised that the only meaningful hint Kim Hendrickson dropped at the Wexner Center chat; a licensing deal with Warner Brothers, has amounted to a whole lot of nothing so far.
If I'm not mistaken, the Warner deal hadn't been finalized yet. I believe Kim claimed there was a list floating around, and if more than half of that list was approved, it would be a "big deal". So, who knows what could have happened (although the wave of many WB titles mysteriously going OOP does bode well for eventual Criterion releases -- if this is the case, it still might be a bit of a wait before Criterion gets around to restoring, making extras, etc. for all of the films licensed out).

FrauBlucher

#2257 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Interestingly enough, someone just tweeted that A Face In the Crowd is leaving Warner Archive Instant, which Warner Archive retweeted. Don't know what to make out of this. Could this be one of the CC titles, but why would Warner Archive not be able to continue to stream it?

Ashirg

#2258 Post by Ashirg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Isn't A Face In the Crowd with Castle Hill/Westchester Films? Maybe it's coming to Shout! Factory's streaming...

zedz

#2259 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:03 pm

gleemonex wrote:Hopefully they package it with a HD Night and Fog, as a supplement, a la Bergman Island.
I think that would make for an awkward precedent, downgrading a standalone title to an extra. (Bergman Island isn't really the same thing, since it was released as a standalone title simultaneously.) I am hopeful that they'll find room for some more of Resnais' early shorts on a deluxe Hiroshima, however. Or even better, upgrade Night and Fog to HD and package it with other shorts.

Ashirg

#2260 Post by Ashirg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:15 pm

ianungstad wrote:I'm just a bit surprised that the only meaningful hint Kim Hendrickson dropped at the Wexner Center chat; a licensing deal with Warner Brothers, has amounted to a whole lot of nothing so far.
Some of the films that Criterion was working on in June 2011 are being released only in 2015 (Satyricon, Odd Man Out, The Bridge), so it may take a long time before we see anything from Warner...

captveg

#2261 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Ashirg wrote:Isn't A Face In the Crowd with Castle Hill/Westchester Films? Maybe it's coming to Shout! Factory's streaming...
I believe the Kazan Estate rights take precedent.

ShellOilJunior

#2262 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 am

zedz wrote:
gleemonex wrote:Hopefully they package it with a HD Night and Fog, as a supplement, a la Bergman Island.
I think that would make for an awkward precedent, downgrading a standalone title to an extra. (Bergman Island isn't really the same thing, since it was released as a standalone title simultaneously.) I am hopeful that they'll find room for some more of Resnais' early shorts on a deluxe Hiroshima, however. Or even better, upgrade Night and Fog to HD and package it with other shorts.
Would you go for a Hiroshima mon amour box?
-2 blu-rays: 1 for Hiroshima & Extras, 1 for Night and Fog and Resnais shorts

My feeling is that it's now or never for a Night and Fog upgrade. There's the chance Criterion may never get around to Resnais again if it's not done now.

captveg

#2263 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:00 pm

August release for Hiroshima mon amour? Would be 70 years since the bomb. Too tactless?

Ribs

#2264 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:46 pm

The Last Emperor, M, Vampyr, Two-Lane Blacktop, and Tess have all appeared under new releases on the Criterion site. Vampyr no longer has the book, and Tess is now seperate BDs and DVDs, but why the others?

Feiereisel

#2265 Post by Feiereisel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 pm

I believe Emperor is now in a plastic case, as reported elsewhere on the forum.

The Blacktop DVD seems to have lost the screenplay book, now credited to "(first-edition dvd only)" in the disc information section of its page.

As for M, I'm going to assume it's a packaging change/cover overhaul so the DVD matches the more current blu-ray cover design. Didn't the DVD come in that oddly wide two-disc case? Maybe they've shed a slim digipack there as well, too.

dwk

#2266 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Reading the disc features sections, it also looks like the DVDs of M and Two-Lane Blacktop have slimmed down booklets

giovannii84

#2267 Post by giovannii84 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:51 am

Feiereisel wrote: As for M, I'm going to assume it's a packaging change/cover overhaul so the DVD matches the more current blu-ray cover design. Didn't the DVD come in that oddly wide two-disc case? Maybe they've shed a slim digipack there as well, too.
Odd they didn't include the English language version on the dvd re-release. It's still an exclusive to BD supplement

Minkin

#2268 Post by Minkin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:33 am

From the Tales of Hoffman thread:
krnash wrote:I attended a screening of this in LA last weekend which was followed by a Skype Q&A with Thelma Schoonmaker. She spoke about working closely with Criterion for this new restoration multiple times. It didn't occur to me until I read your post that this went out of print with the other Studio Canal films way back when.

So according to Thelma, this will indeed be released by Criterion on blu, which is fabulous news on its own, but could be support for even bigger news- the recent Studio Canal rights battle going in Criterion's favor.

movielocke

#2269 Post by movielocke » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Tcm festival is screening both John ford's air mail and they were expendable today, I wonder if either are criterion candidates.

captveg

#2270 Post by captveg » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:49 pm

giovannii84 wrote:
Feiereisel wrote: As for M, I'm going to assume it's a packaging change/cover overhaul so the DVD matches the more current blu-ray cover design. Didn't the DVD come in that oddly wide two-disc case? Maybe they've shed a slim digipack there as well, too.
Odd they didn't include the English language version on the dvd re-release. It's still an exclusive to BD supplement
That would require them to re-author the discs instead of them just changing packaging.

motefuzz

#2271 Post by motefuzz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:18 pm

I was at this very same Hoffman screening but I interpreted her comments differently. She noted that when working on the Hoffman DVD Criterion alerted Thelma that the colors were all over the place and that's when they decided they should tackle the film quickly as a full-on restoration. She did say several nice things about Criterion spearheading a variety of Archers projects over the years and how they were responsible in some way for a new appreciation of P&P. But I did not ever hear her say Criterion were putting out Hoffman. In fact I had a discussion with my partner outside of the theater after if Criterion were going to put this restoration on disc. We wouldn't have had this conversation if such a thing was stated in the Q&A.

Rolad

#2272 Post by Rolad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm just getting into Greek filmmaker, Nikos Nikolaidis' films and wondering what the likelihood of Criterion (or anyone) releasing some of them. Aside from Singapore Sling, they're pretty difficult to get ahold of in decent quality, but just from youtube browsing it looks like there are some pretty good HD scans for Sweet Bunch, See You In Hell My Darling, Zero Years, and Morning Patrol. Does anyone know if anyone might have the rights to distribute them in North America?

cowmonger

#2273 Post by cowmonger » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:01 am

Rolad wrote:I'm just getting into Greek filmmaker, Nikos Nikolaidis' films and wondering what the likelihood of Criterion (or anyone) releasing some of them. Aside from Singapore Sling, they're pretty difficult to get ahold of in decent quality, but just from youtube browsing it looks like there are some pretty good HD scans for Sweet Bunch, See You In Hell My Darling, Zero Years, and Morning Patrol. Does anyone know if anyone might have the rights to distribute them in North America?
Are the DVDs being offered on the Nikolaidis' website of decent quality? I've been looking at them for a while, but have never seen any proper reviews of them.

movielocke

#2274 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Theatrical release of apu trilogy In may, box set in november?

chatterjees

#2275 Post by chatterjees » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:06 pm

If I have to wait till November, they have to give me at least two solo releases to spend the time well; Nayak and Devi will do just in time for the July BN sale :wink: