The Mystery of the Phantom Web Pages

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: The Mystery of the Phantom Web Pages

#776 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Jerome Robbins pretty much confirms West Side Story.
Maybe the Ron Shelton will be Bull Durham, his best.
Michael Radford, Il Postino?
Joan Micklen Silver, Hester Street or Crossing Delancey?
John Sturges' The Great Escape was a laserdisc which makes this a good possibility.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#777 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Is Bryan Singer The Usual Suspects? I might be one of the few here that actually likes it, but... Jesus.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#778 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh my God, that clue really was for West Side Story
West Side Story is of course famous for having all of its songs composed using only the notes A, B, C, and E.

DeprongMori

#779 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Re: "Ron Shelton", don't forget that White Men Can't Jump was a favorite film of Stanley Kubrick.

BFI: Stanley Kubrick, cinephile

FrauBlucher

#780 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Euzhan Palcy's Black Shack Alley, could be another film Criterion plucked from New Yorker Films.

Minkin

#781 Post by Minkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 pm

The sudden dawn of horror on Domino's face as he realizes every crazy New Years clue guess was correct.

Donna Deitch - Desert Hearts (already confirmed)
Michael Radford -Il Postino
Ron Shelton - Bull Durham
Joan Micklin Silver - Hester Street?
Euzhan Palcy -Black Shack Alley

John Sturges - Would have said Bad Day at Black Rock, until WB did it themselves recently. So, Great Escape (laserdisc) is the most likely.

Norman Jewison - I really hope this is for The Thomas Crown Affair, and not just Moonstruck / In the Heat of the Night/The Russians are Coming. Although Jesus Christ Superstar would probably be interesting.

Ridley Scott - Blade Runner was a former Laserdisc, but, like Alien - is there anything anyone could possibly add? Thelma & Louise? GI Jane? Gladiator? Perhaps it is for Blade Runner...

Bryan Singer - Usual Suspects (nothing else would seem even remotely likely. Unless Public Access is some masterpiece)
Jerome Robbins - West Side Story

I'm glad my tongue-in-cheek explanation for the 2nd Puerto Rico flag - that's been drawn incorrectly (that it represents the false Puerto Rico culture /characters)- somehow turned out to be correct.

Ribs

#782 Post by Ribs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:25 pm

If Criterion released The Russians are Coming it would be the most hilarious BD double dip ever.

knives

#783 Post by knives » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:26 pm

My money's on Rollerball if those Corman rumblings are right.

Feego

#784 Post by Feego » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Hester Street is available on Blu from Scorpion Releasing, so I'd say Crossing Delancey is the likely Joan Micklin Silver title.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#785 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Which would be probably the most left field Warners announcement yet

zedz

#786 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Minkin wrote:Bryan Singer - Usual Suspects (nothing else would seem even remotely likely. Unless Public Access is some masterpiece)
As I recall, Public Access is no masterpiece, but it's kinda interesting and I could certainly see Criterion tackling it as another "indie calling card" picture like Following.

FrauBlucher

#787 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Just a thought on the Woody Allen phantom page. There is a brand new 4k restoration of Manhattan that will be screening in New York in March. Criterion could release this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#788 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 pm

I can't wait for the Troy Duffy phantom page to complete the cruel realizations of joke acquisitions foretold a decade earlier in the fake Criterion covers epidemic

Ribs

#789 Post by Ribs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Just a thought on the Woody Allen phantom page. There is a brand new 4k restoration of Manhattan that will be screening in New York in March. Criterion could release this.
The phantom page, definitely, was made to connect with Take the Money and Run - the entire cast and crew have phantom pages one right after the other immediately after Allen's page. It might still be coming, but I just think they're at a roadblock with a featureless edition (when the solution is clearly to do what Arrow has - put a trailer or whatever you can on the disc that Allen will allow, and just get a big booklet with multiple features as the primary supplement). This could be a weird Coen Brothers situation where the phantom page was probably made for a different title than was actually released first, I guess.

souvenir

#790 Post by souvenir » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 pm

I'd guess Chilly Scenes of Winter for Joan Micklin Silver and A Dry White Season on Euzhan Palcy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#791 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Twilight Time is putting out Chilly Scenes of Winter

vidussoni

#792 Post by vidussoni » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm

The MGM releases of The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape were both subpar in terms of picture quality, especially the latter. I think the only other Sturges film that is Criterion worthy is The Old Man and the Sea.

John Doe

#793 Post by John Doe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Jerome Robbins + Norman Jewison + MGM = Fiddler on the Roof

Werewolf by Night

#794 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:52 pm

I would love for the John Sturges to be anything more interesting than The Magnificent Seven or The Great Escape, but we all know that’s what we’re going to get, right?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#795 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:11 pm

It'll definitely be those two, or at least one of them. I like both but they'll be underwhelming if announced, even if they get brilliant restorations.

Minkin

#796 Post by Minkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Perhaps Criterion has to release Ice Station Zebra as one of the conditions of accessing the Hughes collection.
John Doe wrote:Jerome Robbins + Norman Jewison + MGM = Fiddler on the Roof
This makes sense in theory, but West Side Story is the only movie Robbins would have a phantom page for - as everything else he did was for Broadway.

I'm certain the Jewison page is for Thomas Crown Affair - as its the only title that really needs a new restoration / supplements, etc. Plus Haskell Wexler + Hal Ashby were involved with it. They could include the Expo '67 films that inspired the split-screen usage. Its also being remade (again) - so there's a tie-in that could be lucrative.

flyonthewall2983

#797 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:58 pm

cdnchris wrote:Is Bryan Singer The Usual Suspects? I might be one of the few here that actually likes it, but... Jesus.
I like it a lot and would welcome a definitive release of it, as MGM shot their foot at doing one (at least for Blu-ray). Put in all the previous features, add in some new stuff and maybe Public Access as well (Singer isn't the kind of name that Nolan is for that to get a stand-alone release I think).

The one for Ridley Scott is a bit of a head-scratcher. Blade Runner was given a fantastic Ultimate Edition, and I can't think of any reason why WB would want to give it to them considering the upcoming sequel. I'm guessing it would be something like White Squall or GI Jane, the only two of his films I can think of without any special features. But they're owned by Disney who at present have no relationship with Criterion (that we know of anyway).

Cinephrenic

#798 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:04 am

Valkyrie was pretty good, but I doubt it is Criterion material.

ianungstad

#799 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:20 am

re: Ridley Scott

With Silence of the Lambs showing up on Criterion's filmstruck channel; maybe they'll reissue it along with Hannibal.

dwk

#800 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:07 am

TCM did a short film night back in 2006 and they showed Ridley Scott's Boy and Bicycle and Tony Scott's One of the Missing and both opened with the Janus Films logo (hats off to tryavna for posting this info back then.)