Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 5

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
dwk

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#1601 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Pretty sure StudioCanal owns Dead of Night, so it is with Lionsgate.

Lowry_Sam

#1602 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Safety Last is the spotlight film in this year's SF Silent Film festival. I think I'm going to check out The Joyless Street, (150 min. 35 mm print from Filmmuseum Munich). I'd love to see Criterion wrest away Diary Of A Lost Girl from Kino when/if it gets a restoration, but I'd settle for The Joyless Street.

zedz

#1603 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 pm

They're unlikely to outdo Edition Filmmuseum's release.

Ashirg

#1604 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 pm

They can do it high def...

Tyler Michael

#1605 Post by Tyler Michael » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 am

Inserting a slightly derailing post just because I think this is the only place to really ask about this, but are there any structural limits on Criterion preventing Blu releases of Do the Right Thing, Jeanne Dielman, or Man Bites Dog? The DVDs late at night at friends' houses introduced me to the collection and by extension to a lot of the "art cinema" I currently consume.

Also, definitely late to discussing this, but after Roger Ebert's death, I noticed that a lot of his regularly cited favorite films that weren't really big obvious money makers (see: Kane, et al) for their current DVD/Blu distributors were released by Criterion as DVDs and could make wonderful blu rays: Tokyo Story, Ikiru, and Hoop Dreams stood out for me.

As for a topical response, I know I have a lot of friends who would pick up La dolce vita in a heartbeat, myself included.

Matt

#1606 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Many of these questions are answered previously in this thread or elsewhere on the forum, but I understand it's a little hard to go back and find them through the constant flow of posts. Like taking a sip of water from a fire hose.

Hoop Dreams was shot in SD video, so there would be little to no visible improvement in an upgrade to BD.

All of the other titles you mentioned are still in print on DVD, so there are no rights issues preventing Criterion from upgrading them to BD, if that's what you mean by "structural limits." What limits Criterion from putting existing DVD masters on BD is that those masters are just not good enough for viewing in 1080p high definition. Tokyo Story has just been released on BD in Japan, a new transfer from a 4K scan, so it follows that Criterion should be releasing an upgrade within the next couple of years (they don't seem to be in any hurry to upgrade their Ozu titles - only 1 so far in the BD era). Like that film, upgrades of some of the other titles you mention will depend on someone else besides Criterion doing a new 2K or 4K scan of the film, so it's out of their control.

chris.norman

#1607 Post by chris.norman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Tyler Michael wrote:Inserting a slightly derailing post just because I think this is the only place to really ask about this, but are there any structural limits on Criterion preventing Blu releases of Do the Right Thing, Jeanne Dielman, or Man Bites Dog? The DVDs late at night at friends' houses introduced me to the collection and by extension to a lot of the "art cinema" I currently consume.
Man Bites Dog has been released on Blu-Ray in Germany (and France), see http://www.arthaus.de/mann_beisst_hund- ... on-blu-ray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. So that might be a distinct possibility for an upgrade.

LightBulbFilm

Lezione di Cinema: The History of The Criterion Collection

#1608 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted. Nonetheless, a colleague of mine went to Italy recently for a 12 day study abroad program. He came back and showed me the following video of one of the events he attended for school. Featuring Jonathan Turrel & Peter Becker. Please excuse me if this is a re-post.

Moe Dickstein

#1609 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Then it comes down to if the title is a great, good, decent or poor seller... wouldn't make sense to do a big upgrade for one of the latter, even if they had materials available.

So don't look for that Border Radio or Bergman Island blu anytime soon.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1610 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Moe Dickstein

#1611 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 pm

is it in HD there or upscaled? I was more referring to a Blu release off the stand-alone spine...

jwd5275

Re: Lezione di Cinema: The History of The Criterion Collecti

#1612 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Near the 50 minute mark Peter Becker confirms Sundays and Cybele, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion and a third film I couldn't make out...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1613 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 pm

La vérité

They also confirmed that the Tatis are coming back in print, in case there was still any question about that.

Jeff

#1614 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 pm

You guys beat me to posting about La vérité, Sundays and Cybele, and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, so I'll simply point out that Turell looks like Huey Lewis now.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1615 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 pm

That was really excellent, thanks for posting. They also confirmed that they now have deals with every major American studio, so it looks like there will be more from Warner if that was still in doubt

Minkin

#1616 Post by Minkin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25 pm

swo17 wrote:La vérité
I thought you meant this Varieté at first, and nearly had a simultaneous heart attack/stroke/backflip. But the Clouzot film will do too.

rrenault

#1617 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:23 am

LightBulbFilm wrote:Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted. Nonetheless, a colleague of mine went to Italy recently for a 12 day study abroad program. He came back and showed me the following video of one of the events he attended for school. Featuring Jonathan Turrel & Peter Becker. Please excuse me if this is a re-post.
So is the implication that they might strike a deal 5-6 years that'll get them some of their Studio Canal titles back, seeing as Becker said they "usually" manage renew the rights for their OOP titles?

matrixschmatrix

#1618 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 am

I think the implication is that they won't stop trying, but it's not really up to them when or if it happens.

bamwc2

#1619 Post by bamwc2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Near the 50 minute mark Peter Becker confirms Sundays and Cybele...
Outstanding news! Hopefully a wider availability will translate into more than two votes for it on the next 60s list.

dwk

#1620 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Found two more artists that are drawing Zatoichi. I'm pretty sure neither one has done work for Criterion, and the only connection I can find is that Eric Skillman follows them on twitter. So these may not be for Criterion (and I'm not sure the first guy's style would work for cover art.)

Andrew MacLean ‏@Andrew_MacLean
Tis is today's "work": Watch Zatoichi #22: Zatoichi Meets The One-Armed Swordsman (1971)... God I love this job.

Ricardo Venâncio ‏@PressV's first tweet
Photo: Ambushing the blind masseur… #Zatoichi #ShintaroKatsu #drawing #process http://tmblr.co/Zci4txq20rL5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@PressV's 2nd tweet
I think this is the actual first time I'm using real black when coloring a pencilled piece. Let's see how it works out... #Zatoichi

Minkin

#1621 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Jeeze, it sounds like they are commissioning a different artist for every movie.

Whatever happens, this thing sounds expensive/amazing.

Edit: Looks like Andrew MacLean is working on #7 (Zatoichi's Flashing Sword)

Shrew
The Untamed One

#1622 Post by Shrew » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 pm

I wonder if they'll do a special dedicated line like they did for Merchant/Ivory? Maybe with 2-3 films on each Blu-ray/double DVD?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1623 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 pm

If there's individual art we can at least hope that it won't be stuck in a stupid art book with fucking slots, right

Moe Dickstein

#1624 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Unless the art is for the pages of the book with the slots...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1625 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Don't you dare